• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It was obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBulbinX

Smash Apprentice
Masahiro Sakurai (桜井政博, Sakurai Masahiro?) (born on August 3, 1970 in Tokyo, Japan) is a game concept designer, the creative force behind both the Kirby and the Super Smash Bros. series on Nintendo platforms, and the author of a weekly column for Famitsu magazine.

One of Sakurai's earliest experiences in the video game industry began when he worked for HAL Laboratory, Inc. It is here that he created the character Kirby at the age of 19. He would soon direct his first title, Kirby's Dream Land.

Sakurai resigned from his position at HAL Laboratory, Inc. on August 5, 2003, leading many to believe that the Kirby and Super Smash Bros. series would cease to continue. Reasons for his departure are said to be because he was seeking more freedom and was not happy with the structure that was present at HAL Laboratory. Most of all, however, Sakurai grew tired of the sequelization of the industry and at HAL.[1][2]

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming," said Masahiro Sakurai on August 26, 2003, in an interview with Nintendo Dream, two weeks after his resignation from HAL Laboratory. "Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally."
His resignation came just days after an interview where he openly criticized Nintendo for circumstances surrounding the development of the GameCube racer Kirby Air Ride. He has publicly stated that he wishes HAL to continue working on the Kirby series. It is known that Masahiro Sakurai holds no resentment towards his past at HAL Laboratory, or his old characters. To this day, Sakurai's signature is a Kirby face.

After his departure with HAL in August 2003, Sakurai began working with Q Entertainment, along with Tetsuya Mizuguchi. This collaboration resulted in Meteos, a unique puzzle game for the Nintendo DS.

On September 30th 2005, Sakurai announced that he had formed his own company, Sora.[3] Two titles have been announced to be in development but any information on the titles (other than that they are in development) has not yet been divulged.

As to the future of the Super Smash Bros. series, former HAL Laboratory President and current President of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata, during the Nintendo E³ 2005 press conference, promised an online iteration of the game would come to Nintendo's next videogame console, Wii. In issue #885 of Famitsu magazine, Sakurai first revealed that he will be serving as a director and game designer on Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Nintendo's next-gen console Wii, which has been confirmed to have online battles.

Masahiro Sakurai is currently living in an apartment in Tokyo, close to the studio in which Super Smash Bros. Brawl is being developed. Sakurai's apartment is home to a number of cats as well, of which he is very fond. He also has a toy King Dedede, which is very cuddly and cute. He sleeps with it besides him every night, as he believes this brings him good luck.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
I swear that last line wasn't there when I read it last night. <_<

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
Kirby dosent hate him, just gets annoyed by him:laugh:. I mean, when did he ever do anything evil? Hech, sometimes hes a hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom