• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It Is Upon Us: New Details On 20XX Tournament Edition Announced

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Wouldn't removing the wind in Dreamland and removing transformations on Pokemon Stadium actually seriously affect the metagame? It might not be anything major, but the stage transformations do especially affect the course of a game, do they not? And I know that wind can be beneficial to recovery.

Again, Frozen Mode probably won't affect all that much, but it would still change up how Melee games run to an extent, right?
Transformations excluding water are normally just camping until it goes back to normal. That or the stage instantly changes to Fox's favor.

Frozen mode is optional, but I'd use it.
Transformations are just cheesy.

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
Wouldn't removing the wind in Dreamland and removing transformations on Pokemon Stadium actually seriously affect the metagame? It might not be anything major, but the stage transformations do especially affect the course of a game, do they not? And I know that wind can be beneficial to recovery.

Again, Frozen Mode probably won't affect all that much, but it would still change up how Melee games run to an extent, right?
Wouldn't it be similar to Omega mode in smash 4 where you can just choose to ignore it in general.
Other than the wind in Dream land I'm not sure what else I am going to use it for but I still like the Idea
Also blond Marth
Costume coloring is probably the greatest thing imo but I just like my coloring books

Quillion

Smash Hero
A mod for Melee actually getting coverage?

What is this community coming to?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
On topic, this is basically P:M 2.0. I hope they don't go crazy with it and add new characters and ****.
So a Project M of sorts for Melee? Sounds cool.
Why are some people thinking this is anything like Project M? While both add a bunch of things made with competitive Smashers in mind and some things that are just cool, 20XX does not mess with the Melee's meta. No character buffs or nerfs. Melee top tiers will remain top and garbage tiers will remain garbage. If you want a Project M type mod out of Melee, the closest thing is SD Remix

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Why are some people thinking this is anything like Project M? While both add a bunch of things made with competitive Smashers in mind and some things that are just cool, 20XX does not mess with the Melee's meta. No character buffs or nerfs. Melee top tiers will remain top and garbage tiers will remain garbage. If you want a Project M type mod out of Melee, the closest thing is SD Remix
I guess when I said "of sorts", that doesn't really count in today's world, does it... :glare:

XakYm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XakYm09
3DS FC
0018-0121-2348
Can this lead into making low tier'd characters competitively viable in the future ? I don't know how far you can push this mod but it would be amazing.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Can this lead into making low tier'd characters competitively viable in the future ? I don't know how far you can push this mod but it would be amazing.
No. You're severely misunderstanding the goals of the 20xx hack pack.

Last edited:

Edacaf

Smash Rookie
It's important to note that the hack only works on v1.02 Melee discs. Check your version if you're unsure.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Will Frozen Mode disable Randall?

If the answer is yes, then I will be sad. Randall is hype.

EDIT: NVM. Randall is saved.

In the "About" page on the 20XX site:

"What 20XXTE does NOT do
  • Disable Randall (get your cheeky, smiling pitchforks out)"

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
In frozen mode, is Fountain of Dreams changed at all?
In frozen mode no. I believe Dan is including his 'Lagless FoD' code that can be toggled for doubles.
(Btw, IE if you're reading this and didn't see my post in the Workshop - Message me and I need to give you a line of code to disable the water gushers on FoD. Your code doesn't do that at the moment.)
See SD Remix.
http://smashboards.com/threads/melee-sd-remix-3-1-released.324620/
I heard a rumor that SD Remix would also be available as a separate mode in 20XXTE... Is this not true? I'd really love to see it happen.
No, that won't happen. Dan built all of this from a 1.2 Melee iso and he's probably not going to go back and convert all his codes to PAL format to use Sham Rocks' PAL method of injecting new content into the game. Sham Rock's method is the only reliable method that will allow SD Remix characters to be imported alongside regular NTSC characters. The only way PAL characters have been imported if I recall correctly was over their Japanese counterparts - the .DAT files.
...That plus Dan explicitly said he's not adding PAL characters or any unofficial character patches.

Aww man, this is amazing!

AMAZING!

To think that we could load game modifications through a memory card on an unmodded console that's over a decade old...Just WOW.

You're a miracle worker, Dan. Through and through.

In any case, is this related at all to the 20XX hackpack made by achilles?

Cuz if it is...that SDR toggle mode...I will probably explode from the happiness of it all.
It is related to Achilles' 20XX mod - somewhat. Dan's TE does include codes from Achilles, Sham Rock, Jorgasms, and me included that are in the 20XX pack. It's a culmination of Melee hacks over the years.

Dan found the Memory card exploit earlier last year if I'm not mistaken. TE has been in development for a while now, and I'm really happy it's almost done! The way it works is Dan has injected his own program that is loaded into that game that loads Gecko codes. To be basic, these Gecko codes alter memory addresses as the game is running, expanding the game's limits and unlocking things.

As for SD Remix characters / PAL characters, Dan is not going to include them. Read my earlier reply to Gatoray.

----
One thing I need to mention that wasn't covered in the main post - some game changing mechanics have been added, one being Bowser's Flame Cancel not present in Melee 1.02. This is NOT togglable and is present in tournament mode.

I've been seeing a lot of comments regarding Taunt Battle. Unless Dan updated it drastically, the mode only works with Mario.

Last edited:

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Aww man, this is amazing!

AMAZING!

To think that we could load game modifications through a memory card on an unmodded console that's over 2 generations old...Just WOW.

You're a miracle worker, Dan. Through and through.

In any case, is this related at all to the 20XX hackpack made by achilles?

Cuz if it is...that SDR toggle mode...I will probably explode from the happiness of it all.

Ah, just came back from their website, apparently there'll be no character "patches" in 20XXTE so I can assume no SDR toggle mode. Ah well, still pretty freaking awesome. =)

Last edited:

Myougi

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I do hope they consider adding more stages to Frozen Mode in the future. I know they won't be legal in tournaments, but it would still be nice to have, say, a Rainbow Cruise that doesn't move or a Yoshi's Story 64 without the clouds.

Myougi

One with BF and FD playable? I dig it.
Currently only Battlefield (It's actually called Duel Zone) is fully playable with injectable AR codes (It actually has a stage ID in the game and fits all requirements to be a stage. You can replace one stage with it on the SSS). If I recall, Final Destination isn't completely playable (as in it works, but not perfectly. See here. You can play it though 1P mode and force load other characters with a gameshark. Music doesn't load and stocks are infinite due to the code being constantly active.) because reliable spawn points do not exist for the stage (Some exist, but are abnormal), and people haven't delve into Smash 64 stage hacking to fix the issues. FD can be played with AR codes, but it's overly complex to set up and injecting said codes into the ROM is impossible - having the codes run can crash the game.

Last edited:

Deg

Smash Cadet
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give PAL version

In all seriousness though, please.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
If a frozen mode for Smash 4 was made, we'd have like 10 more legal stages

Grass

Smash Lord
memcard is well priced, game looks amazing and w/o need for hacks. I'm very happy about this. I wonder if this means that we'll finally be able to use 20XX at tournaments.

AnExoticPurpose

Smash Rookie
Can we get character skins? They'd need to be disabled during tournament, and maybe you couldn't use say, Goku costume fox, for legal reasons, but that's something I'd really like to see

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
If customizable controls are in this pack then I will FIEND THE **** out of melee. My dreams will have come true.

:018:

rp17000

Smash Cadet
NNID
rp17000
If a frozen mode for Smash 4 was made, we'd have like 10 more legal stages
But instead we have Omega forms, because Sakurai thinks FD is so MLG...

AND some "Frozen" stages are already in the game, but for 8-player mode only... -.-

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
This is okay, but PM isn't?

IE is a god and this is amazing, but there's gonna be hella problems if this shows up at stuff like APEX and Smashcon while PM continues being shut out.

Last edited:

Kbra

Smash Rookie
Will this have the debug menu from 20xx? all the features like view each frame frozen and stuff, basically all that can help you get better faster? and one more thing this stuff will make the memory card hold and iso of melee? or you put this sd card into a GC or wii with melee disk and it converts it to 20xx/tournamet?

Top Bottom