• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Issues approaching and killing with Duck Hunt

Wizpiggleton

Smash Rookie
I feel like duck hunt is such an easily punished character up close and I'm trying to get around it especially for how precise you have to be with him and his wonky hitboxes on his non special attacks. I'm still trying to get better at him and I'm getting a decent hold on the can and where I need it to be and the gunmen follow ups. Nonetheless I feel like the smash attacks are unreliable and running is so much of a commitment on this character that I want to get rid of them for my control scheme if possible.

Essentially I need help approaching and killing with Duck Hunt, anyone here have any tricks or tips I'll be more than happy to hear.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
Your can is pretty good, and your up aerial is good at killing at higher percents, as well as your forward aerial and dash attack. DH's side smash is also pretty good, as it hits pretty far and people don't expect that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think you can use the duck like Marth's sword... since the tipper seems to be at the duck's beak...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Your can is pretty good, and your up aerial is good at killing at higher percents, as well as your forward aerial and dash attack. DH's side smash is also pretty good, as it hits pretty far and people don't expect that.
Back aerial is better at killing than forward.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Actually working on a video addressing this issue, I believe duck hunt has incredible approaching and killing options, but they require foresight and preparation to utilize. I also don't see other duck hunt mains utilizing them at all, and while I'm certainly in terms of player skill not the top, I do believe the strategies I've begun utilizing are solid and legitimate, since they're the only reason I could take boss to last stock final hit game 3 at xanadu despite getting completely bodied for the majority of the match. (Somehow managed to win game 2 after getting essentially 0-deathed first stock)

For now, let me just say, duck hunts damage racking game is completely different to his kill getting game, and you need to recognize when to change tactics based on kill % and game state. The auto-pilot mindset is toxic to duck hunt when it becomes time to kill.

I'll go into my theories in the competitive thread before making the actual video. (If I ever do)

Last edited:

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
I almost never approach with DH, I force the opponent to come to me with Cans and Frisbees; where upon i throw more cans and frisbees in their face as they try to get close. Just Camp it out.

As for killing, F-Smash and Bair are great as well as Up-Air if you've got them juggled with Cans or are doing it after a throw. If you continue camping you'll get a Can kill eventually. F-Smash goes out further the longer it's charged, a lot of people don't expect it, it catches many off guard, you have to predict your opponent but it'll stop them dead if they do a head long dash.

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Using can and discs, you'll want your opponent to be forced into a defensive position, so you can approach. I wouldn't recommend waiting all the time for your opponent to approach you, because matches could last too long, and you'd get owned by projectiles. It's best you wait for your opponent to approach you if they don't have projectiles, and they aren't too fast.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I personally prefer to use cans when the opponents is off-stage trying to recover OR trying to land back on the stage from above. I don't spam smash moves unless there is an opening... so I just use tilts and aerials to rack up damage. I am changing the way I play Duck Hunt... not as a camper... but as a close quarters fighter.

I have been using gunmen often... they are good for manipulating your opponents into doing something you want them to do... jumping or shielding... and I usually follow up with aerial attacks or other projectiles (if they jumped) or grabs & throws (if they shielded). They are more or less used as distraction.

I think the cartwheel is probably the most versatile aerial move... you can attack in any direction with the cartwheel. It is useful for attacking opponents who jumped up from the ledge. Then I immediately follow up with forward or back aerial move - those are useful for launching the opponents off-stage (if they don't have high enough percentage) or off-screen (if their percentages are too high).

I use up aerial move when the opponent is above me and they are at least 100% or above. I use down aerial move when the opponent is off-stage and trying to recover. It feels so good to spike them straight down to their doom - they don't even have to be over 100%.

I just need to know which moves are suitable for which situations. Gotta practice more in the training mode.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
The edge is ours. There are many edges like it, but this one is ours.

I scare people offstage with cans then I Dair them down like John Henry against the railroad machine.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Actually working on a video addressing this issue, I believe duck hunt has incredible approaching and killing options, but they require foresight and preparation to utilize. I also don't see other duck hunt mains utilizing them at all, and while I'm certainly in terms of player skill not the top, I do believe the strategies I've begun utilizing are solid and legitimate, since they're the only reason I could take boss to last stock final hit game 3 at xanadu despite getting completely bodied for the majority of the match. (Somehow managed to win game 2 after getting essentially 0-deathed first stock)

For now, let me just say, duck hunts damage racking game is completely different to his kill getting game, and you need to recognize when to change tactics based on kill % and game state. The auto-pilot mindset is toxic to duck hunt when it becomes time to kill.

I'll go into my theories in the competitive thread before making the actual video. (If I ever do)
still workin on that vid?

Top Bottom