• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
G-G-G-G-GAME THEORY TIME!

After I watched the direct, I wasn't able to sleep for more than 36 hours. It was probably the worse I have felt in a long time.

During that, I believe my brain had rewired itself to become more positive about Golden Sun in particular. That's when I was able to sleep properly.

But that's just a theory.

A gaaaaaaaame theory!
When the direct hit I just held it together till my live stream ended. Then, I cried for a good hour. After that, my sadness turned from disappointment to rage for a few hours. After that, I went to bargaining, saying that this was all one messed up nightmare. Then I landed on acceptance. Said acceptance being that we need to stop going into hibernation every time smash season ends. I managed to take solice in that.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
When the direct hit I just held it together till my live stream ended. Then, I cried for a good hour. After that, my sadness turned from disappointment to rage for a few hours. After that, I went to bargaining, saying that this was all one messed up nightmare. Then I landed on acceptance. Said acceptance being that we need to stop going into hibernation every time smash season ends. I managed to take solice in that.
Yeah, that's actually what happened to me, but 100 times more painful.

OPeke!

Smash Rookie
I know that feel bro

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
When I got around to watching the direct (I heard about it before I saw it), I remember just sitting there for the longest time and just staring at my screen wondering what had just happened. I thought I must've seen a direct for Smash 4 with all of the things I had seen.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I know that feel bro
When I got around to watching the direct (I heard about it before I saw it), I remember just sitting there for the longest time and just staring at my screen wondering what had just happened. I thought I must've seen a direct for Smash 4 with all of the things I had seen.
We've had our time to weep and our time to reflect. But this is where we put our support into overdrive.

Don't let this thread die! Continue being active! Continue conversing and initiating discussion!

Keep the interest in Isaac going! Remember, only /we/ can make a change in Smash and Nintendo!

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Considering they plan to release all 5 through 2019-Febuary 2020. I don't think that's the case, 2018 itself is almost over. It would be unprofessional for them to NOT know which DLC characters they're going on, especially if Piranha Plant is confirmed DLC, meaning he was planned. Granted, not as one of the 5 (meaning we're actually getting 6)

If they're working on Piranha Plant at the moment, then its very safe to assume that they've already planned the next 5 out so that they can begin development immediately. Also, the way they worded it, it definitely seems like they already have all the fighters planned if they don't want too tell us and leave it as a surprise. (and want us to be "confident" about purchasing it) Also the wording of "We'll star working on it as soon as we're done with the main game" helps my argument, meaning a DLC character will begin development as soon as the game releases. Since they're working on P.Plant now, and he's expected to be released shortly after the game releases...this again proves all DLC is already known by the team.

I wanna keep myself hopeful that Isaac will somehow find his way as DLC, but I don't want to be disappointed again so Im keeping my expectations low.
I don't want mean to be rude or anything, but assuming they haven't even decided on the DLC is insane, and unprofessional.
Yeah, you make a point, I suppose: I just wish there was a way to let Sakurai know we still want Isaac as a character and not an Assist Trophy.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I had about the same feeling too. That day was just terrible. The direct basically created a domino effect and just bad thing after bad thing happened. But, I learned to pick myself up. And realized all the good we've accomplished over the last few months. I don't want to lose that again!

Like you said, we always go into hibernation after Smash is over and that's the biggest problem for us. We need to STOP that and keep this hype train for Isaac and Golden Sun going now!

This should also be the motto for the #UpgradeAssists, "Nothing to lose and everything to gain".

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I really really want to try out Golden Sun. Is it on the Wii U? Even so, I might just get a GBA Cartridge instead, either to have a more authentic experience or in case the Wii U version blows hard.

I kinda wish that Golden Sun, or the Lost Age, was on the 3DS Ambassador Program. (Let's say it replaced Mario Kart: Super Circuit, the worst game on there IMO or at least the most expendable). Then the series would probably thrive on to this day, as opposed to being left in the dust.

Machete

Smash Ace
I was watching the Direct with some of my best friends and one of them was so absolutely heartbroken by Isaac's disconfirmation that it made me decide I'll support Isaac above anyone else should another ballot happen or if the AT-turned-into-DLC dream happens. Midna will forever remain my most wanted now, but I 100% want Isaac for all his fans.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
They definitely planned all five, but I don't think Isaac is out because of that. I understand not getting hopes up, no problems there. But there are simple explanations as to why Isaac would be an AT in based while being planned for DLC.

First off, I reasonably think that Rex probably means all the DLC characters are characters they wanted to do for the base roster but didn't have time to do so. This really paints a strong picture of it potentially being heavily ballot influenced. Including Isaac as an Assist Trophy could just be a stopgap so Isaac isn't missing from the game entirely like what happened last time. Especially considering how there are events heavily involving Assist Trophies, they could've wanted to have these events in the base game so Golden Sun didn't get left out of that.

There's also the timing of the trademark and Rathalos tweet about a month apart to consider. When Sakurai tweeted about the Monado, it came about a year before Shulk was revealed, and the new GS trademark included download on it when it never had it for Virtual Console. There's also other weird things I heard about the trademark, such as the Japanese trademark using the English name for Golden Sun.

Every fanbase thinks Sakurai obviously MUST hate them, their character, or their franchise if they don't get included or get a lack of content. Its a completely ridiculous argument and I hate this notion with a passion. It drives me up the wall how many fanbases try and make this argument.

This game in general is doing everything it can to be a love letter to everything Nintendo. Even characters that don't get AT's, or got cut as AT's, are now showing up as Mii Fighter costumes, for example. Such as Saki, Lip, and Ray.

Sakurai just can't make every character playable. There's too many.

Vergeben allegedly knew about Piranha Plant but didn't say anything.
Verge did indeed know about P.Plant, he just didn’t say anything to avoid controversy.
I really really want to try out Golden Sun. Is it on the Wii U? Even so, I might just get a GBA Cartridge instead, either to have a more authentic experience or in case the Wii U version blows hard.

I kinda wish that Golden Sun, or the Lost Age, was on the 3DS Ambassador Program. (Let's say it replaced Mario Kart: Super Circuit, the worst game on there IMO or at least the most expendable). Then the series would probably thrive on to this day, as opposed to being left in the dust.
Golden Sun and TLA are on the WiiU eShop

Dark Dawn is pretty cheap since it sold poorly

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, you make a point, I suppose: I just wish there was a way to let Sakurai know we still want Isaac as a character and not an Assist Trophy.
There is no way, because its blatantly obvious. Sakurai knows we want Isaac as a character. He's an Assist Trophy for any number of reasons, but not because he doesn't think fans want Isaac as a character. Many Assists are characters Sakurai knows fans want to be playable. That's the reason they're Assists to begin with. So they can play a big role despite not being playable.

So, why is Isaac an Assist Trophy? Again, we can't possibly know until Sakurai asks, but there's several options.

1.) Sakurai doesn't think Isaac is feasible as a playable character. This is extremely doubtful. He clearly knows how unique Isaac would be.

2.) Sakurai thinks Isaac is too niche. Well, in terms of sales, Isaac is around the same level as Pit, Shulk and Olimar. I kinda doubt this is the case, tbh.

3.) Isaac wasn't as massively requested as we all thought. While this is an interesting thought, I kinda doubt that's the case. If he wasn't that requested, I kinda get the feeling he wouldn't have gotten an Assist Trophy at all and maybe got a Mii costume instead. Other than Gray Fox, who is obvious why he got cut and came back now, Isaac is the only other cut AT to come back.

4.) Isaac was massively requested, but not enough to get him to be considered over the current characters we have. This is definitely more in the plausible range, and is probably the most likely scenario. They mostly focused on veterans, which limited additions of new characters. They split the new characters between massive fan requests and recent characters.

5.) Isaac was massively requested, and Sakurai really wanted to include him, but Isaac was a bit too complex compared to other characters and with all veterans back, he didn't think there'd be enough time for Isaac to be added into the base roster. Maybe he wasn't as big as Ridley/K. Rool, so he just barely got cut as a playable character.

6.) Isaac's Assist Trophy is only a stopgap for playable DLC so that Golden Sun plays a role in the base roster beyond merely Mii Fighter costume or Spirit. Isaac is one of the 5 DLC characters.

Golden Sun and Lost Age are both on Wii U. Dark Dawn is not, but if you purchase the cartridge you can still play it on 3DS.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hey guys... what if a new Golden Sun game got announced in the next Nintendo Direct? I think it makes sense: similar to Isaac back in Brawl, Dark Dawn was announced about a year after he appeared. In addition, we know about the trademark renewal that mentions downloadable content among having been made back in August, which to me tells me there are plans for something. To end it off, there are rumors from a credible source that we will get a Nintendo Direct this upcoming Thursday that could be a great time to announce a new Golden Sun game in light of recent events.

If it did get announced on Thursday do you guys think that would change anything?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey guys... what if a new Golden Sun game got announced in the next Nintendo Direct? I think it makes sense: similar to Isaac back in Brawl, Dark Dawn was announced about a year after he appeared. In addition, we know about the trademark renewal that mentions downloadable content among having been made back in August, which to me tells me there are plans for something. To end it off, there are rumors from a credible source that we will get a Nintendo Direct this upcoming Thursday.
Extremely unlikely, unless the next Direct in next year. I feel like if there's a GS in development, though, we'll know by E3.

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Hey guys... what if a new Golden Sun game got announced in the next Nintendo Direct? I think it makes sense: similar to Isaac back in Brawl, Dark Dawn was announced about a year after he appeared. In addition, we know about the trademark renewal that mentions downloadable content among having been made back in August, which to me tells me there are plans for something. To end it off, there are rumors from a credible source that we will get a Nintendo Direct this upcoming Thursday.
This honestly what confuses me, what the hell was the point in renewing the trade mark for?

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

GS 1 & 2 are on the Wii U. DD is on DS, but it's cheap still. I wish VC was on Switch, however. : (
I was watching the Direct with some of my best friends and one of them was so absolutely heartbroken by Isaac's disconfirmation that it made me decide I'll support Isaac above anyone else should another ballot happen or if the AT-turned-into-DLC dream happens. Midna will forever remain my most wanted now, but I 100% want Isaac for all his fans.
YEAH! THAT'S THE SPIRIT! POSITIVITY IS THE WAY TO GO!
If this ballot couldn't change things, we have to take the "Ridley fan" route and be vocal about our want for GA to return to Switch! As a character, as a game, or both!

If he is promoted through DLC, that's means it helps the other AT's chances with getting in!

Verge did indeed know about P.Plant, he just didn’t say anything to avoid controversy.
I want to think he just made an excuse for why he didn't say anything,

But honestly, we shouldn't give him attention. He's just ruining the hype and surprises at this point.

Exirion

Smash Rookie
GS 1 & 2 are on the Wii U. DD is on DS, but it's cheap still. I wish VC was on Switch, however. : (

YEAH! THAT'S THE SPIRIT! POSITIVITY IS THE WAY TO GO!
If this ballot couldn't change things, we have to take the "Ridley fan" route and be vocal about our want for GA to return to Switch! As a character, as a game, or both!

If he is promoted through DLC, that's means it helps the other AT's chances with getting in!

But honestly, we shouldn't give him attention. He's just ruining the hype and surprises at this point.
I have a question: How accurate has Verge been on smash leaks in the past?

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate the positivity. After the direct I felt sad, disappointed and confused. I wondered what did all the teasing meant, what the trademark meant, I was left with more questions than answers and the concern of what Sakurai thought by putting Isaac as an AT despite having the ballot results upon his hands. After the sadness started to fade, I found myself with renewed hope for the same questions I was originally left with, the Rathalos tweet and the 2018 trademark renewal so extrapolating those with how Smash has been before, I feel hopeful, besides I know we can show how much we love Golden Sun in order to get a revival now that we have more momentum than ever before

Plato Xaiver

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theplato90
Switch FC
SW-6928-3432-9787
Excuses, excuses. I get that he got most of this right, but he still got some of it wrong. We can't just take everything he says as gospel.
I'm surprised he wouldn't say that we're getting Petey.

Guys he literally said we were getting a third character like an hour before the direct started, he just refused to say who. :^) I dont like Verge either, but he knows his stuff. He just wouldn’t tell us, cause lets be honest. If I told you two weeks ago Piranha Plant was a playable character, would you believe me?

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's actually what happened to me, but 100 times more painful.
I just got angry. Very angry. As you can tell by my posts post direct. I was livid lol. But not so much at Isaac being an AT, tho that was certainly what sparked it. But because I felt like WE failed Isaac and Golden Sun. And I wanted to change that,I still do. And that’s why I feel we should continue to do what we’re doing. No more going into hibernation. No more solely focusing on Smash. If Golden Sun’s ever to see a future, we need to act like a proper fan base again.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Our renewed hope reminds me of how Isaac struggled throughout his adventure. Time after time, he would fail at something like not stopping the lighthouses being lit, not being able to get to Lemuria, not being able to save Tolbi's life, and much more up to where he nearly lost his friends at Jupiter Lighthouse. After all that, he picked himself back up and had a new purpose. One that will save the world.

Our situation, getting Golden Sun back and working for Isaac to be playable via DLC and break the fan rule about ATs being upgraded in game. That is our new purpose and goal.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Has verge said anything on the dlc fighters?
As someone else said, he doubled back down on the Square rep and "Minecraft content." He also mentioned that other dude who was talking about Steve and Katalina, reiterating that this guy is generally reliable, but said he hadn't personally heard about either Steve or Katalina himself.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I didn't cry or feel outrightely all too upset. I got King K.Rool, and the very fact that the trailer started with Ken and Incineroar already made me brace the loss of Isaac. I anticipated it from that moment, cause Vergeben said that Isaac would be a AT. So I expected just that. Only got worse when of course the Golden Sun music started playing, but yeah since it was Felix's battle theme I was secretly hoping it would've been Felix.....

My very last bargain, and this is a very desperate one. What if Isaac will get promoted as a Assist Trophy to fighter, and his AT get's replaced with either Felix or Matthew? Most likely Matthew due to the models and designs being farrrr more similar, but yeah. It's the last possibility I can think of.

What bums me most out of this is the denial of the potential revival of Golden Sun. Yet, I'll first have to see King K.Rool actually returning to the Donkey Kong Country franchise before I think that's likely.

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
Spitball idea: What if the reason we got Isaac back as an AT is because we're getting adult Isaac as DLC?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Spitball idea: What if the reason we got Isaac back as an AT is because we're getting adult Isaac as DLC?
Nah, that would still be weird. My last hope is that Isaac's AT gets model swapped with Matthew's and we actually do get Isaac in full glory.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I appreciate the positivity. After the direct I felt sad, disappointed and confused. I wondered what did all the teasing meant, what the trademark meant, I was left with more questions than answers and the concern of what Sakurai thought by putting Isaac as an AT despite having the ballot results upon his hands. After the sadness started to fade, I found myself with renewed hope for the same questions I was originally left with, the Rathalos tweet and the 2018 trademark renewal so extrapolating those with how Smash has been before, I feel hopeful, besides I know we can show how much we love Golden Sun in order to get a revival now that we have more momentum than ever before
I just got angry. Very angry. As you can tell by my posts post direct. I was livid lol. But not so much at Isaac being an AT, tho that was certainly what sparked it. But because I felt like WE failed Isaac and Golden Sun. And I wanted to change that,I still do. And that’s why I feel we should continue to do what we’re doing. No more going into hibernation. No more solely focusing on Smash. If Golden Sun’s ever to see a future, we need to act like a proper fan base again.
THAT'S THE SPIRIT! DON'T GIVE UP HOPE. CONTINUE TO SUPPORT HIM, SO SAKURAI NOTICES AND PUTS HIM IN DLC OR NEXT GAME.
I doubt it. : / I just want regular Isaac.

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
Nah. The only thing that can make Isaac playable is the community at this point. This is his last chance, I really don't think they're going to consider him by the next smash, which is why we have to give it our all NOW!

Ookami Ryo

Smash Rookie
On the one hand i think that Felix would make more sense based on his battle theme that is present since Brawl but on the other one Isaac is more popular than this one but in a way these two characters are like light and shadow equally important imo

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
Nah, that would still be weird. My last hope is that Isaac's AT gets model swapped with Matthew's and we actually do get Isaac in full glory.
I wouldn't bank on it.
Nah. The only thing that can make Isaac playable is the community at this point. This is his last chance, I really don't think they're going to consider him by the next smash, which is why we have to give it our all NOW!
Yeah, I don't really think so either, just thinking.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
T H I S.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
These days there are a good number of free website creators. Not the best or most professional, but you could probably throw something together in a few hours using something like weebly or wix.
That being said I’ve already exited my comfort zone by entering the realm of social media and making a Twitter account.

I’d be down for a new website. But I won’t be the one making it lol.

Pyzlnar

Smash Apprentice
This honestly what confuses me, what the hell was the point in renewing the trade mark for?
Wouldn't you renew the trademark way before you use it?
As in within a couple of years or so?

I have weird hopes and dreams for Isaac as a DLC character but...
An HD remake for the switch within 3~4 years sounds good as well. heh

I expect GS to come in some form soon-ish.
(4 years is soon, this is what we've become lol)

D

Deleted member

Seems like the Youtubers are too busy or just don't want to be involved that's completely understand we have Billybae10K that's enough.

Looking forward to whatever is planned.

Will help in whatever way I can.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Seems like the Youtubers are too busy or just don't want to be involved that's completely understand we have Billybae10K that's enough.

Looking forward to whatever is planned.

Will help in whatever way I can.
Yeah I had a feeling Billy would be the only one that would help us immediately, since he’s been the most invested and has actually taken part in discussions.

Unfortunately a lot of pro GS YouTubers only go so far to prove their loyalty.

Simply saying your a GS fan and making a video isn’t enough. You’ve got to be active within the community too. Especially when they call for you.

Don’t take this as me shaming them. People got lives. They do what they do and that’s fine. What does bug me some of these YouTubers swear they’re die hard hard GS fans... but hey sure don’t act like it. I hate hypocrisy.

Top Bottom