• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Is your 3DS in good condition?

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
This is a fun little topic I wanted to start.

I got my 3DS back in 2011 October as a gift for my 16th birthday. It was a black module. I have taken extra good care of it to the point where I put a microfiber cloth in between the screens to prevent the rumored scratches going around for it. To this day, I still do this. Over the years it has been used to the point where some buttons are dented in more than others and the analog stick being less tense and more loose. Despite this, after adapting to the controls for Smash 3DS, these controls are really great and I actually prefer them to the XLs due to how compact they are.

What about all of your systems?

Last edited:

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I got my blue 3DS in late 2011. Mine is in perfect condition aside from a small blur of scratches in the very middle of the touchscreen from playing Harvest Moon DS. The 3DS stylus is just too pointy.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Perfectly. I bought my current 3DS XL in July.

pikafire

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2906-9493
Mine's great! Bought it in February. I only have played and beaten Pokemon Y, and then now I am currently the last world of Super Mario 3D Land. So SSB will be my 3rd game!

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
Yeah I got mine when Zelda Ocarina of Time came out and it works perfectly! Can't wait to play Robin and ZSS!

BS_Dang

Smash Rookie
i got my 3ds XL back in July. So far so good. I had the orignial 3ds before that and the shoulders buttons were messed up

GoddessOfLamps

Smash Ace
Mine's in a good condition. I got a 3DS near launch, however after some time playing the slider came off, and since where I live I can't get it fixed or buy a new slider, I had to sell it and buy another 3DS (but this time it was an XL). Ever since I bought the 3DS XL I've been taking very good care of it.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Yeah pretty much. I mean it's not mine but the one I use still works fine. My sister lost the stylus though so I've been unable to play Uprising lately.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Lightly scuffed on the top due to carrying it across campus in my pocket. Got it (the Awakening model) whenever that was made available in the US.

Khao

Smash Lord
Got it a few months after release, not late enough for the price drop.

The rubber in my circle pad broke up a little bit at some point and I just fully took it out, so I just have the black thing underneat, which is really not worse than the original rubber unless you have sweaty fingers.

My A button is slightly unresponsive, buttons normally get registered just after they click, but I have to put just a little bit of extra force after the click for it to work. It's enough for it to be an annoyance in fast-paced games, but it's not a problem as long as you have it on your mind. Like, it's not as if it's difficult for it to respond, but if you forget about it and are used to push buttons lightly, t can get annoying every now and then.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then there's those typical scratches on the sides of the top screen caused by what's probably one of Nintendo's most moronical mistakes when it comes to the physical design of a system.

So yeah, it's far from being on a perfect condition, but it's still completely functional. I'll just have to use a button setup for Smash that doesn't use the A button and it'll be pretty much the same thing as having a brand new system.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Well, I was playing the deno last night and my 3DS made a popping noise before shutting off. It won't turn back on either, like I don't even get power when I press the power button. Apparently this popping noise signifies that the ribbon on the top screen is damaged. I think this thread jinxed me :/ .

This really sucks for me, especially since my friend was gonna play the demo with me today. Ima go cry

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've had my 3DS since January 2012, and the Circle Pad hasn't dealt with too much abuse. I still check it at times though.

One reasoning for this is likely because I've played more games that allow you to use the directional pad to move.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
i just bought a new one after i decided i didnt want to play smash on a smaller screen but both or pretty much in mint condition since i keep them in cases

Articablack

Smash Apprentice
I also got mine back in 2011 when it first came out. I remember back then, I was excited for Revelations and Mercenaries 3D, but ever since I finished those games, I haven't touched it save for a game here and there. So it's technically in mint condition.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
I originally got my 3DS in Christmas of 2011, a simple red one that came with Super Mario 3D Land (I would have preferred a blue one or that special black and gold one that came with Ocarina of Time 3D, but I didn't mind). It is a little rough around some edges, but everything on it still works relatively well and it's in decent shape.

P1 Jake

Smash Rookie
NNID
P1-Jake
3DS FC
4398-9435-7143
I've had mine for a little over a year and a half now, and it's still hanging on. Through countless hours of things like Monster Hunter, Pokemon X, FE:A, AC:NL, and RE, I think Smash might be this little guy's last rodeo. Or at least, there will be some definite wear and tear.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I bought my new 3ds in late July because my old one wasn't functioning like it should. So far, I haven't had any problems. I do worry about how my new system will endure SSB4 though.

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
Had my blue 3DS since Christmas 2011.

As of laters it's been ********. Keeps pressing start every few seconds.

Might have to buy a 2DS because I'm a broke ass

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I got my Aqua Blue 3DS Christmas 2011. A little of the paint is scuffed (dropped it on concrete a few times), my HOME and START buttons have dents in them, a few scratches here and there, the barcode plastic came off, the barcode is faded, and the barcode sticker is starting to peel. It functions perfectly, though.

I was also sprayed with a hose when I was playing it, and it got all over the 3DS. It's perfectly fine, unlike my old DS Lite, which lost its touch capabilities from one drop of water...

It's hard to think about replacing it with the New 3DS, due to all of the memories.

Shavier

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4871-4830-9227
I bought used Aqua Blue before christmas 2013 but it's in great shape. I played long time Pokemon Y, Sonic Lost World, Super Mario 3D Land and my sister played Pokemon X. Only problem it have when I want to use camera I got black error screen of doom, but whatever, I just want to play games anyway. I hope it will live as long as my DS and will be in better shape.

TroperCase

Smash Cadet
I got the original model near launch and no problems yet. The stick was spared from Kid Icarus Uprising because I played it left-handed with touchscreen & buttons (which worked surprisingly well). The demo is feeling good with it.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
My shoulder buttons don't work properly and I think I need to do a video tutorial on how to open it up and clean the dust and lint out. Does anyone have experience with how difficult this is?

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
I got mine when ocarina of time came out. It works well though the R button sometimes messes up when I dont use it for a long time. I get it to work though and when it does, there's nothing wrong with it.

Also, am I the only person in the world who has no problems when holding the 3ds? Yea, I get some hand pain but it never get's to the point where I have to stop playing.

Trout

Smash Rookie
NNID
Troutx
3DS FC
2723-9284-0082
My top screen is a little wobbly, is that normal? I've only had my 3DS for about a year. Other than that everything seems in shape, hope that **** holds up through the hundreds/thousands of hours of Smash until the New 3DS comes out

EnigmaticKnight

Smash Apprentice
My 3DS is still good, but I still have to be careful moving the circle pad a lot, since I don't want to break it completely.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Also, am I the only person in the world who has no problems when holding the 3ds? Yea, I get some hand pain but it never get's to the point where I have to stop playing.
Join the club. I have no problem with using my 3DS for Smash (let alone any game) and never get hand cramps from playing my 3DS.

Last edited:

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
Bought mine around July-August last year, and I don't have any problems with it right now.
I hope my Circle Pad doesn't break when I start playing the actual game.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I've owned my original Dedede back in 2012, it was in pretty damn good condition, aside from a few buffs and scratches, it was fully functionally, thankfully. The Circle Pad did have a few scratch marks on it due to my failure to keep it away from my younger relative.

I recently purchased a D3 XL a month ago from Nintendo, and now I try my best to keep it as clean as possible, to the point of always cleaning my hands before using it. :p

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
This thread:

My 3DS is in great condition!

Me:

My 3DS is in grea-

*look at 3DS*

*cries*

DatSmasher

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0903-2784-5063
My small one is still good, so is the XL one i bought a few months ago

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
I bought min in January and I'm super picky about keeping it clean. When my ex girlfriend played it she put one tiny scratch on it. You can't notice it but I do of course. A friend of mine had his circle pad fall off and then he decided to mod it with this little nub thingy and actually prefers it more for smash since he has been playing the Japanese version a lot.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
The L button sometimes doesn't work for no reason, but aside from that, it's in great condition.

I don't know what the deal with the L button is. I don't have any games that I would've been hard on the L button with, and I tried cleaning it, and it clicks down (so nothing is obstructing it or anything). It works better now, but back in January it practically died. It still doesn't ALWAYS work, but it does what it needs to.

All it really does is hinder my playing games that rely on using the L button a lot, but most games I own have work-arounds or don't use it enough for it to make much of a difference.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I've have multiple 3DS's since the inception of the 3DS back in March of 2011. From the standard blue version to the limited edition Zelda themed 3DS, to a blue 3DS XL and now my Legend of Zelda 3DS XL. Obviously, there seems to be a pattern going on here lol :p Regardless, I've kept my various 3DS systems in very good condition. My latest Legend of Zelda 3DS XL is in perfect condition except for a tiny scratch on the decal but nothing super noticeable. Even when it looks like I'm not taking very good care of my 3DS or 3DS XL by leaving it out in the open and constantly lending it to family or friends, somehow they remain in good condition, despite how easy going I am with them.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I got my 3DS right after it came out and it's in perfect condition. I've dropped it a few times, but you'd never be able to tell. The only thing wrong with it is that it can't play Mario Kart DS or Tetris DS (my two favorite games, lol).

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
My 3DS did have to have repairs once, when the power button suddenly stopped working. But it's fine now. (I still worry about it happening again, though...)

And recently the material which covers the control stick is starting to tear. I'm not sure whether or not this is a big issue that I should be concerned about.

Also, ever since the power button incident, my 3DS doesn't recharge easily. It has to be held in a certain position, or be perfectly flat on a surface. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the 3DS or the charger itself.

So, in the end, my 3DS still works and all, but it's not "perfect condition" or anything...

Top Bottom