• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Yoshi's Egg Throw the most versatile projectile in the game?

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
When thinking about Yoshi's Egg Throw and how important it is to his game, I wonder if it is the single most versatile projectile in the game. Think of all you can do with it: You can approach with it, wall characters out with it, you can cover your descent with it, you can throw it in many directions including straight up, it disrupts opponents brilliantly, it sets up KOs, you can short hop it, you can hit people off stage with it or cover yourself when returning to the stage, not to mention it is a huge part of Yoshi's recovery.

That's a lot of stuff you can do with it off the top of my head, not including any glitches. I'm not saying it's the single best projectile, but it could be the most versatile. So use your eggs proudly! Thoughts?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Just as a counterpoint, Duck Hunt can is DISGUSTING. The complete lack of commitment and the massive amount of space you can control with it? Yeah.

Also practically anything that's an item is also kinda similarly ridiculous, just limited by loading time.

Last edited:

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
The can is definitely a neat trick, but I still think eggs are more useful in more situations. The can actually takes quite a bit of commitment. There's a delay before you can move after using it, not to mention you have to hammer the B button to make it move. I guess it will take a pro to show what the can is truly capable of, but at this time I haven't seen anything that spectacular.

And eggs actually work pretty well against Duck Hunt.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Just as a counterpoint, Duck Hunt can is DISGUSTING. The complete lack of commitment and the massive amount of space you can control with it? Yeah.

Also practically anything that's an item is also kinda similarly ridiculous, just limited by loading time.
You can cancel the can with other projectiles, such as turnips, and use it against Duck Hunt. Can't do that to eggs. If I throw a turnip at the can it goes right back at Duck Hunt, it's a great setup for me to approach him. Eggs are just, **** **** **** I gotta try to dodge.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You can cancel the can with other projectiles, such as turnips, and use it against Duck Hunt. Can't do that to eggs. If I throw a turnip at the can it goes right back at Duck Hunt, it's a great setup for me to approach him. Eggs are just, **** **** **** I gotta try to dodge.
Duck Hunt though wrecks powershielding. He forces you to commit in some way to get around the can. Yoshi just keeps you in neutral with Eggs if you powershield.

That is also why item tossing is kinda insane because it can't really be neutralized by powershielding used right.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
It's definitely one of the most versatile. I think Link / Tink's bomb would also be under consideration. It pressures, it cancels landing lag, you can use it to recover, etc.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Duck Hunt though wrecks powershielding. He forces you to commit in some way to get around the can. Yoshi just keeps you in neutral with Eggs if you powershield.

That is also why item tossing is kinda insane because it can't really be neutralized by powershielding used right.
Throwing a projectile at his projectiles isnt a real commitment though. If you aim your egg right at the can you can remove it from the picture without commiting to your next move. Not saying cans arent better just that one advantage eghs have that we should be using is canceling the effectiveness of other projectiles like the can.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Eggs really are amazing at neutralizing enemy projectiles. Just one of the many things they can be used for. My favorite is bouncing back gordos in Dedede's face.

Too often the can hits nothing or blows up in Duck Hunt's face. I would say it is #2 on the most versatile projectile list, assuming there was a list outside my head.

Top Bottom