• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Wavedashing as important in PM as it is in Melee?

gevrosche

Smash Rookie
I was never a wavedashing kinda guy in Melee and I realized it isn't as frequently used in PM, should I still do it when playing competitively?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
It's not as frequently used in PM because a large portion of PM players are Brawl players or completely new to the scene. Or they use one of a few PM characters who don't need to wavedash. Regardless, the need for proper positioning and spacing is as present as it is in Melee, and therefore so is wavedashing. Now, it's not 100% necessary - it's just a tool, and if you don't know whether or not you should be using it then you should research uses for wavedashing to see why you should be using it and when, because simply learning to do it and then doing it all the time is only going to create problems for you.

TheCometCE

Smash Rookie
I feel it's on a per character basis, but it's a tool worth learning.

I use it with Mewtwo a bit, but when I'm playing Ivysaur or Bowser I almost never touch it (Bowser is slow and Ivysaur has offensive options that yield a favorable result)

JipC

Smash Journeyman
It's not as frequently used in PM because a large portion of PM players are Brawl players or completely new to the scene. Or they use one of a few PM characters who don't need to wavedash. Regardless, the need for proper positioning and spacing is as present as it is in Melee, and therefore so is wavedashing. Now, it's not 100% necessary - it's just a tool, and if you don't know whether or not you should be using it then you should research uses for wavedashing to see why you should be using it and when, because simply learning to do it and then doing it all the time is only going to create problems for you.
Any good guides or something that explain why it's useful? I use it to space my attacks properly, waveland, easily grab ledge, stay out of my opponents range, etc. But I want to see an explanation from a pro player.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Any good guides or something that explain why it's useful? I use it to space my attacks properly, waveland, easily grab ledge, stay out of my opponents range, etc. But I want to see an explanation from a pro player.
That's mostly what it's all about. Additionally, you can wavedash OOS to expand your movement options, escape pressure and punish laggy moves. I don't think there's a complete guide to all the uses of wavedashing and whatnot, but I think that covers most, if not all of them. Of course, there's waveshine, QD wavedash, teledash... but these are character specific.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
You only really "need" it for anything you can jump cancel. Shines, shields, Ike SideB, etc. Other than that it's just a positioning tool. If your positioning is inherently godlike you'll literally never actually need it.

kchamp523

Smash Cadet
Well for all three of my characters (roy, zss, lucas), you really need wavedashing for spacing.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I use it all the time for sheik. I never use it for ivy. BARELY use it for Zard. Most of the people you see who dont use it are using brawl characters.

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@op

Play bowser? not so much. Play Samus? totally.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
I use it more for Mario than Kirby, but I use it for both.

Top Bottom