• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legality Is using a wii nunchuck stick legal?

sjr

Smash Rookie
I finally messed around with my controller today and decided to see how it'd feel to replace the left stick with the stick from a wii nunchuck, it feels a lot better imo
Is this legal or banned or whatever?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
If a tournament has a controller modding rule at all, it's usually "no turbo no macro" and everything else is fine. Different tournaments can have different rulesets but I've never seen a modern tournament that bans mods like this.

I've replaced my control stick with a C-stick and no-one has had a problem with it.

Dark Byte

Smash Cadet
If a tournament has a controller modding rule at all, it's usually "no turbo no macro" and everything else is fine. Different tournaments can have different rulesets but I've never seen a modern tournament that bans mods like this.

I've replaced my control stick with a C-stick and no-one has had a problem with it.
What are the advantages of using a c stick? I would imagine dash dancing to be harder, but I've never tried one.

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
I've been wanting to mod my L and R buttons to be a 2-stage press instead of pressure sensitive. Clack-clack instead of slide in and then clack. I'm very curious as to how well this would work.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Pretty sure both the c-stick and the nunchuk joystick both have the same diameter shaft, which doesn't enable you to hit additional inputs like a joystick with a narrower shaft would (essentially the same as making the octagon gate larger). I don't really see any inherent average of using a c-stick, just personal preference. The nunchuk joystick is just taller, so you'll be moving your thumb slightly more. Not a big deal imo.

Last edited:

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
I can't wait until someone makes a gamecube controller with trigger-sensitive paddles on the back.

Dark Byte

Smash Cadet
I've been wanting to mod my L and R buttons to be a 2-stage press instead of pressure sensitive. Clack-clack instead of slide in and then clack. I'm very curious as to how well this would work.
I'm pretty sure that's illegal. I know that the mod where you remove the light shield capability from your controller isn't allowed. What you're describing probably falls in the same category but I could be wrong.

Stride

Smash Ace
I know that the mod where you remove the light shield capability from your controller isn't allowed
Yes it is; you can do it just by holding the trigger down as you calibrate the controller so banning it isn't enforceable even if it were to be banned (which there's no adequate reason for anyway).

What are the advantages of using a c stick? I would imagine dash dancing to be harder, but I've never tried one.
Because the stick is shorter you can move it faster/with less effort over a given input range. The main difference as far as I'm concerned is that it makes smash turns and quarter-circle pivots easier and more consistent (which extends to dash-dancing, making it easier to change direction quickly), at the cost of losing some control over the precise motion needed for things such as shield dropping and tilts. It's definitely a trade-off, and a matter of personal preference whether you'll benefit from it overall.

Last edited:

Dark Byte

Smash Cadet
Yes it is; you can do it just by holding the trigger down as you calibrate the controller so banning it isn't enforceable even if it were to be banned (which there's no adequate reason for anyway).

Because the stick is shorter you can move it faster/with less effort over a given input range. The main difference as far as I'm concerned is that it makes smash turns and quarter-circle pivots easier and more consistent (which extends to dash-dancing, making it easier to change direction quickly), at the cost of losing some control over the precise motion needed for things such as shield dropping and tilts. It's definitely a trade-off, and a matter of personal preference whether you'll benefit from it.
No kidding, maybe I am thinking about removing the spring from your trigger. About the c-stick though, it seems like that would help with things like SHFFMC or up-b cancels. I'll be sure to try it out soon.

Stride

Smash Ace
No kidding, maybe I am thinking about removing the spring from your trigger. About the c-stick though, it seems like that would help with things like SHFFMC or up-b cancels. I'll be sure to try it out soon.
That is also legal (and I do that too).

A shorter stick (like a C-stick) would help with anything that requires you to move the stick quickly, so yes, it would help with those techniques (though I haven't tried them).

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
I'm pretty sure that's illegal. I know that the mod where you remove the light shield capability from your controller isn't allowed. What you're describing probably falls in the same category but I could be wrong.
It wouldn't remove the soft shield. First click halfway for soft shield, second one at the bottom for full shield. I may just throw a pin in there or something

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It wouldn't remove the soft shield. First click halfway for soft shield, second one at the bottom for full shield. I may just throw a pin in there or something
That certainly takes away from the tech skill/finesse required to light shield during intense situations. Some people aren't going to be a fan of it. Everyone draws the line in a different spot.

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
That certainly takes away from the tech skill/finesse required to light shield during intense situations. Some people aren't going to be a fan of it. Everyone draws the line in a different spot.
What do you think of a new smash controller with back paddles? It would be relatively easy to develop, but I don't know how the gamecube would react to overlapping an input.

Dark Byte

Smash Cadet
Seems unnecessary honestly. I guess it depends on how you implement the pin, but it might not be worth risking slowing down my trigger in any way.

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
Seems unnecessary honestly. I guess it depends on how you implement the pin, but it might not be worth risking slowing down my trigger in any way.
This is a legitimate concern. I have a hoard of close to 200 gamecube controllers and I'm just spouting ideas for experiments. I don't plan on using it, I'm already used to soft shielding.

sjr

Smash Rookie
That is also legal (and I do that too).

A shorter stick (like a C-stick) would help with anything that requires you to move the stick quickly, so yes, it would help with those techniques (though I haven't
I know you can cut off the thing that you use to light shield with like a knife to completely remove it, but would that also be Legal?
are there any trigger mods that are illegal?

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
are there any trigger mods that are illegal?
Yeah, anything that changes the amount of raw input the game processes is banned. Basically, this means disjointing the correlation between player input and action taking, such as holding R and shield spamming on andoff with perfect frame data (turbo). As for L and R, I think removing the full pressure sensitivity or its effects is also a nope, since soft shielding will always come before hard shield regularly. If you were able to skip that stage, perfect shielding would be much more commonlace and thus rely less on skill. It would have drawbacks of course, but it's still kinda broken.

TLDR If your character in-game matches your inputs, you're probably good. Don't try to be too gray area-ish with this, TOs will get pissy (and rightly so, it adds to their already immense workload).

APESAUCE

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-1741-8331
sjr sjr noone gives a **** about controller mods. you are totally fine to do whatever diy mod u want. i personally took out my L spring and replaced my c-stick with a nunchuk stick. if these guys are saying its "banned from tourney" they obv dont go to tournies.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
sjr sjr noone gives a **** about controller mods. you are totally fine to do whatever diy mod u want. i personally took out my L spring and replaced my c-stick with a nunchuk stick. if these guys are saying its "banned from tourney" they obv dont go to tournies.
Ever thought that maybe all TO's don't have the exact same opinion on the matter? Lol.

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
We're not saying it's banned, we're saying what is banned. We said anything is fine as long as it doesn't become a turbo or macro controller. The community itself may throw a pissy fit if your mod makes you require less skill, but who cares, it's legal.

Last edited:

APESAUCE

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-1741-8331
i TO a biweekly, its fine. ive never been to a SINGLE tourney where its banned. have you ever heard of springless controllers or replaced sticks being banned at a major (evo, tbh, pound)? didnt think so.

Top Bottom