• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is Ultimate worth buying a Switch for?

tyciol

Smash Rookie
Right now my only experience with SSB is playing the original on the 64, Melee briefly on GC before laser reader broke so I had to play it on the Wii, and eventually getting Brawl on the Wii too.

Haven't really kept up with the console evolution (haven't bought a PS3 or PS4 for example, still have old PS2 games hadn't gotten around to finishing) but every half-decade or so you get a nostalgia rush and think "I want to try this new version of my old series".

Given that Twilight Princess is my last LOZ foray, I had wanted to try Skyward Sword and heard they had remade it for the Switch, so maybe that in combination with Ultimate is grounds enough to try Switch?

They seem to get pricier as time goes on but maybe that's just inflation. The idea that it has Gameboyesque portability is appealing for when the weather warms up and I'm able to hang out outdoors. Though it does seem like a theft risk if hanging out in an unsafe area especially if your attention gets absorbed.

I don't know how many games I'd want to buy but apparently there's a lot of free ones you can DL for the Switch that might be more fun to play that way (the classic gaming from the floor or a bed) as opposed to from a PC chair. Do stuff like Warframe/Apex/Fortnite/Paladins help to make the investment seem fulfilling?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you certainly dont want to buy a console just for one game. but id there are a good few games youd like to try then go for it

Donkay

Smash Rookie
I only bought the Switch because of Smash. And almost only play Smash with it.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I would say if you're only getting the Switch for Ultimate that's okay, as there are always pretty good sales in the eShop, plus if you get NSO for 20 bucks a year, that's a good amount of classic NES and SNES games at your disposal (N64 and Genesis too, if you splurge the extra 15).

Blitzwing

Smash Cadet
I think there are so many killer apps on the Switch. Smash is one of them, but also Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Astral Chain, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Fire Emblem: Three Houses and a bunch of affordable 3rd party titles you can play on the go, like Crash N.Sane Trilogy, Bioshock Collection and more.

My only problem with the Switch is that's its basically a porting machine for old games.

Top Bottom