• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this "technique" worth implementing into a play style?

Do you think this technique is worth using?

• Total voters

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
Hi there, I have a serious question. Excuse my long winded rant, just roll with it:

I'm new to the smash community, and smash as a whole. Sure, I played melee and brawl casually a long time ago. Like, I didn't even know you could grab until I booted up Melee a few months before smash 4 released, because I was so hyped. Anyways, what I'm saying is is that I've really only been playing smash competitively since October, when the game came out in the US. Since then, I've logged over 800 hours into my personal copies of the game, and I'm going to Evo this summer.

But that's besides the point, let's get into the meat of this.

So, about a week ago, my internet went out. I spend like 90% of my time with smash on For Glory mode, because out of my group of friends, I'm pretty much the only one who's interested in competitive smash, so that's my only way of fighting humans until a tournament scrapes up somewhere. I was super bored, and I didn't want to play smash's single player modes because they get boring after a while. So, as usual, I hit the lab. I remembered foxtrotting, that almost useless technique people sometimes use online to look flashy or cool I guess. I remembered when I first got the game, and impressed my casual friends because I could do it. Simply because it looked cool. It's pretty much completely pointless, why do people do it? No reason, literally no reason. People only seem to use it after a kill when they're messing around on the stage.

Thinking about this made me think about "dash dancing". Not the Melee kind, but what people seem to call "the Brawl kind", where you just kind of wiggle back and forth really quickly and kick up a bunch of dust. Also completely pointless.

This gave me an idea. From a foxtrot, you can cancel the very very beginning of the initial dash animation to do an "instant" smash attack. (Isn't it called a Kara smash when you do that? I'm not really sure.) Well, obviously, that's how the "Brawl Dash Dancing" works. The very beginning of the dash animation is cancelled into the dash in the opposite direction. With that in mind, I figured you might be able to do the same thing out of a foxtrot.

Needless to say, it worked! Just do right, right left, left right, right left, and so on, to get that Melee styled dash dance. At that point, I had hoped I had invented some sort of new technique. When my internet started working again, the first thing I did was research to see if it was a thing.

Unsurprisingly, it's already a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISSQnPoio0

I found this video. So yea, kind of disappointing that I didn't invent a new technique or anything.

Fast forward one day later, when I remembered that you could do /any/ number of foxtrots, and cancel into a pivot. For example, you can start of the left side of the stage, foxtrot to the right side, and immediately do a pivot turnaround thingy into the opposite direction.

I spent a many hours (because it was fun and satisfying to learn) combining the foxtrotting pivot and the pseudo Melee dash dance into what I call Dash Pivot Dancing, or DPD for short. Many thumb cramps later, and a bit of muscle memory, you get the following:

https://vine.co/v/eaj3VlI1zL5

Side note, this works with every character. Of the few characters I tested with, Marthcina, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, and Little Mac were all very easy once you master the timing. Mario and Mewtwo's timing was very hard. Regardless, every character should be able to do this.

I've never seen anything like this before, in a playstyle or otherwise. I've never heard any professional players talk about it. And, it's a lot more doable than perfect pivoting, and arguably more useful as well. Anyways, here's how using this "technique" could be useful:

-Obviously, you can use this just like how Dash Dancing is used in Melee.

-Because you can turn around at almost any time during your foxtrot, your opponent always has to be on their toes about where you're going to go.

-It looks super cool and is fun to do. This isn't useful, but it's there.

In terms of difficulty, I'd say it's about as difficult as wavedashing. The amount of time it took me to learn wavedashing was the amount of time it took me to learn this. And like wavedashing, the timing and usability varies from character.

Here's a clip with Falcon, using the technique and his crazy dash grab together:

https://vine.co/v/eaIxX59bEFw

Here's a clip with Marth doing the "Melee Dash Dance". A lot of people can probably already do this.

https://vine.co/v/eaIPjzKJKOg

Excuse the bad quality of these clips, doing this technique with one hand and filming through a camera phone is hard enough as it is. I have no access to a capture device, so if someone with one would like to, I could send you some replays of this technique being used.

TL;DR: Would it be worthwhile to work this technique into my gameplay?:

With all that out of the way.

What do you think? Is this something I should strive to implement into my gameplay? Is it worth the effort? Could you see yourself at least trying this technique sometime? Do you think something like this could become commonplace?

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
This is actually useful for a character like Marth, this can help with spacing and such since his dash is pretty quick, and the initial dash animation moves him considerably far. Especially if you can throw in shields and a couple fairs or nairs.
For Falco, this tech is pretty useless, he runs like a cube rolls. Just doesn't work much, outside of a pivot fsmash or whatnot.

Next time, please shorten your story.

Poppy JR.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Poppy JR.
3DS FC
3668-8475-0899
I think that this looks very interesting. I especially like the bait/punish applications, like the Bowser demo in the video.

Kraetyz

Smash Cadet
Keep playing around with it. Git gud. Get more people to play around with it. It looks like fun and I want to see more of it.

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill
Hi there, I have a serious question. Excuse my long winded rant, just roll with it:

I'm new to the smash community, and smash as a whole. Sure, I played melee and brawl casually a long time ago. Like, I didn't even know you could grab until I booted up Melee a few months before smash 4 released, because I was so hyped. Anyways, what I'm saying is is that I've really only been playing smash competitively since October, when the game came out in the US. Since then, I've logged over 800 hours into my personal copies of the game, and I'm going to Evo this summer.

But that's besides the point, let's get into the meat of this.

So, about a week ago, my internet went out. I spend like 90% of my time with smash on For Glory mode, because out of my group of friends, I'm pretty much the only one who's interested in competitive smash, so that's my only way of fighting humans until a tournament scrapes up somewhere. I was super bored, and I didn't want to play smash's single player modes because they get boring after a while. So, as usual, I hit the lab. I remembered foxtrotting, that almost useless technique people sometimes use online to look flashy or cool I guess. I remembered when I first got the game, and impressed my casual friends because I could do it. Simply because it looked cool. It's pretty much completely pointless, why do people do it? No reason, literally no reason. People only seem to use it after a kill when they're messing around on the stage.

Thinking about this made me think about "dash dancing". Not the Melee kind, but what people seem to call "the Brawl kind", where you just kind of wiggle back and forth really quickly and kick up a bunch of dust. Also completely pointless.

This gave me an idea. From a foxtrot, you can cancel the very very beginning of the initial dash animation to do an "instant" smash attack. (Isn't it called a Kara smash when you do that? I'm not really sure.) Well, obviously, that's how the "Brawl Dash Dancing" works. The very beginning of the dash animation is cancelled into the dash in the opposite direction. With that in mind, I figured you might be able to do the same thing out of a foxtrot.

Needless to say, it worked! Just do right, right left, left right, right left, and so on, to get that Melee styled dash dance. At that point, I had hoped I had invented some sort of new technique. When my internet started working again, the first thing I did was research to see if it was a thing.

Unsurprisingly, it's already a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISSQnPoio0

I found this video. So yea, kind of disappointing that I didn't invent a new technique or anything.

Fast forward one day later, when I remembered that you could do /any/ number of foxtrots, and cancel into a pivot. For example, you can start of the left side of the stage, foxtrot to the right side, and immediately do a pivot turnaround thingy into the opposite direction.

I spent a many hours (because it was fun and satisfying to learn) combining the foxtrotting pivot and the pseudo Melee dash dance into what I call Dash Pivot Dancing, or DPD for short. Many thumb cramps later, and a bit of muscle memory, you get the following:

Side note, this works with every character. Of the few characters I tested with, Marthcina, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, and Little Mac were all very easy once you master the timing. Mario and Mewtwo's timing was very hard. Regardless, every character should be able to do this.

I've never seen anything like this before, in a playstyle or otherwise. I've never heard any professional players talk about it. And, it's a lot more doable than perfect pivoting, and arguably more useful as well. Anyways, here's how using this "technique" could be useful:

-Obviously, you can use this just like how Dash Dancing is used in Melee.

-Because you can turn around at almost any time during your foxtrot, your opponent always has to be on their toes about where you're going to go.

-It looks super cool and is fun to do. This isn't useful, but it's there.

In terms of difficulty, I'd say it's about as difficult as wavedashing. The amount of time it took me to learn wavedashing was the amount of time it took me to learn this. And like wavedashing, the timing and usability varies from character.

Here's a clip with Falcon, using the technique and his crazy dash grab together:

https://vine.co/v/eaIxX59bEFw

Here's a clip with Marth doing the "Melee Dash Dance". A lot of people can probably already do this.

https://vine.co/v/eaIPjzKJKOg

Excuse the bad quality of these clips, doing this technique with one hand and filming through a camera phone is hard enough as it is. I have no access to a capture device, so if someone with one would like to, I could send you some replays of this technique being used.

TL;DR: Would it be worthwhile to work this technique into my gameplay?:

With all that out of the way.

What do you think? Is this something I should strive to implement into my gameplay? Is it worth the effort? Could you see yourself at least trying this technique sometime? Do you think something like this could become commonplace?

Let me know what you think!
can you show the imputs for this technique

Jugoken

Smash Cadet
YES. I'm using and I find EXTREMELY effective. It takes awhile to get use to but once you do its really good to fake out and dodgevattacks adding unpredictably to your playstyle! Add me NNID: Jugoken I'll show you >:^)

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for your replies, everyone! I think I'm going to try and use the technique.

can you show the imputs for this technique
Sure, I'll record the inputs tomorrow.

YES. I'm using and I find EXTREMELY effective. It takes awhile to get use to but once you do its really good to fake out and dodgevattacks adding unpredictably to your playstyle! Add me NNID: Jugoken I'll show you >:^)
Will do.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
This, although wouldn't be useful to some characters, definitely helps the playstyle that Marth has been noted for. It could allow proper spacing options for a character who lost them all. It won't quite "save" the character but it'll definitely allow him to be somewhat more viable.

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
If you watch Fatality, a Falcon player, you will see that he incorporates it a lot into his gameplay and it works very well. For some reason I don't see any Marth/Lucina players use it but it's equally viable for them as well, so go for it.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
While I only use Dashdancing for the sake of tauntiness (new word, don't copy), Dancetrotting looks promising and pretty useful. But, it actually depends on the character, since some (Ganon-kun) don't have a long Fox-trot.

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
I noticed the other day that Mr. E uses this sometimes. Just not to the extent I used it in the vines I posted, usually to evade an attack and immediately punish

Top Bottom