• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this a viable kill option?

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
So i was wondering if this would be a viable kill set up. At around like 90-early 130ish percentage you backthrow your oponent of the edge, followed by a SH full charged shadowball that would propell you towards them. Then you simply time your DJ and bair. This could be tried at lower percentages like 70-80ish where you wouldn't need to use a jump, but this seems more situational and easier to see coming. At higher percentages you could delay the SH shadowball slightly in order to make up for the increased knockback.

Tl;dr. Is backthrow followed by SH full charged shadowball DJ bair viable at around 90-130ish percent near the ledge? Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Haven't tested this much on for glory, and wanted to get some input before i do

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
If you can land it then yes. However, most characters would die from an Up Throw at the 120 range, so I would just go for that instead.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
You said most characters. At120 with no rage and proper DI only about 5-6 chars die. I wouldn't call that "'most chars".
Other than the technicality, are you saying that my advice is wrong and that the better option would be to go for the back throw set up?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Other than the technicality, are you saying that my advice is wrong and that the better option would be to go for the back throw set up?
No I wasn't saying your advice was wrong. I was just saying that not many chars will die at that % from U-Throw.

I honestly don't know what to say to the OP. This isn't really a set up, it's more of an opportunity kind of thing. If you see them in a position offstage where you can do, then go for it, but don't rely on this as it's easy to dodge.

I would just go for a bit of damage into an U-Throw like Shack said.

Last edited:

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
Well, it's true ending it with an up throw is more practical, but im just trying to open up options i guess. Especially if my up throw unfortunately happened to be stale at the moment

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Well, it's true ending it with an up throw is more practical, but im just trying to open up options i guess. Especially if my up throw unfortunately happened to be stale at the moment
I get you, if you're close to an edge and they are not at U-Throw kill % then go for edge guards, best option.

Just as a note though unless its FFA or 2v2 or you're fighting Little Mac, your U-Throw should never be stale.

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
I get you, if you're close to an edge and they are not at U-Throw kill % then go for edge guards, best option.

Just as a note though unless its FFA or 2v2 or you're fighting Little Mac, your U-Throw should never be stale.
True. I only just recently started taking staleness and freshness in account as bad as that sounds. And since mewtwo doesn't really have an combo throws i just went for the highest damaging one. But that changed with the most recent patch so yea. Thank you guys for your input

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
True. I only just recently started taking staleness and freshness in account as bad as that sounds. And since mewtwo doesn't really have an combo throws i just went for the highest damaging one. But that changed with the most recent patch so yea. Thank you guys for your input
I like using D-Throw to see how my opponent reacts and maybe get a much better punish in the future.

The only unpunisheable action the opponent has from a D-Throw is a back jump and even that Mewtwo can chase with Double Jump and punish if your opponent is not one of the top ~20 air speed chars. Any other action (and even a jump from the other half of the cast) is punisheable by Mewtwo, so if you can read their next action you can get more damage than just F-Throwing!

If I am fighting against one of those top 20 air speed chars and the player likes to jump away after D-throw then I switch it up to F-Throw for damage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom