• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this a thing? Anyone had similar experience?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
So today I played a little WFT in For Glory, whatever, slightly irrelevant, but there was this guy I was against who beat me a couple of times, the first time he swapped to Ganon (Same costume as me.) I was all "Oh okay, well, guess I better pull out my Ganon to show them how to play." (Bad move, it was laggy as all hell. Not my strong point.), I won a couple, and then out of friggin' nowhere comes Pink F Robin. The guy was hella disrespectful and generally didn't seem to care that most of his KOs were very blatantly lag-based. He spent a lot of time on the menus and just generally tried his hardest to annoy me. Not the point, this is FG, nothing new so far.

Now anyone who can see my forum sig can clearly see, Ganon and Robin are my secondaries - and this isn't the first time this sorta thing has happened. I even had one player a while back jump from Roy (Koopa) to Robin to Ganon on me before I'd even played any of them (I was upping my Marth game.) - costumes perfectly matching, then quit when I stomped them as all three.

Now, it could be coincidence. It could, but there's no way in hell I can come across people on atleast a monthly basis (It's not common, won't lie, but it happens.) who stall on menus only to jump out playing my mains (badly and disrespectfully, to boot) in the exact costumes I do. No fresh chance in hell do I believe that's coincidence. It's genuinely jarring when I come across someone who jumps out as, say, Roy and then Pink Robin, because I genuinely don't believe there's much chance many people play those exact two as main. -and trust me, I'd remember names, so I know these people aren't the same people.

Seriously, call me crazy, call me paranoid, but I think people are starting to look up people's mains solely with the idea they can win and generally just be idiots going for disrespect. I mean, other than Ganon, my mains aren't exactly super-popular. So either FG is screwing with me by putting me against people who use my exact characters, or people are looking up who I play.

If anyone's had a similar experience, post about it, I seriously wanna know if I'm not the only one coming across this weird phenomenon.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I've never had this experience myself, unless you count people picking Kirby before even fighting me just cause my Tag is "KirbCider".

It could be one of two things though. Firstly, yes you could be just getting paranoid. You'd be surprised that those things can happen in For Glory or rather any online Mode in general. Some costumes can be more popular than others as well. Secondly, do you use your SmashBoards name as a Tag or as your name that appears below the Tag? If so, they could very easily type that name up into Google one quick second and easily find you that way, and since your Mains and Secondaries are in your Sig they could easily ditto you.

I ask this, because it's the main reason why I use "KirbCider" as my Tag. I want my opponents to be able to find me here in case they happen to be SmashBoarders too if I'm lucky enough. Someone can easily do the same to me and start picking my Mains & Secondaries.

Sadly I haven't had a random For Glory opponent find me here yet, but you may never know... It's easy to look up Usernames on the net.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I've never had this experience myself, unless you count people picking Kirby before even fighting me just cause my Tag is "KirbCider".

It could be one of two things though. Firstly, yes you could be just getting paranoid. You'd be surprised that those things can happen in For Glory or rather any online Mode in general. Some costumes can be more popular than others as well. Secondly, do you use your SmashBoards name as a Tag or as your name that appears below the Tag? If so, they could very easily type that name up into Google one quick second and easily find you that way, and since your Mains and Secondaries are in your Sig they could easily ditto you.

I ask this, because it's the main reason why I use "KirbCider" as my Tag. I want my opponents to be able to find me here in case they happen to be SmashBoarders too if I'm lucky enough. Someone can easily do the same to me and start picking my Mains & Secondaries.

Sadly I haven't had a random For Glory opponent find me here yet, but you may never know... It's easy to look up Usernames on the net.
My Tag is "Conn", but I mention that on my Smashboards profile and it's right there in my username - it's a stretch, but y'know, when this happens I just literally freak out a little so you can see why I'd think that and be asking if anyone's had similar experience.

..-but yeah, I'm kinda the same too, I kinda hope people can find me on here easy if they really give a crap about fighting me again, but I have the same doubts that'll ever happen.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Never heard of such an event happening to me at least.

I believe it's rare, considering there is like 52 characters in the game as of date (excluding mii fighter, swordsman, gunner.) that's like a 1.92% that you'll find someone ending up playing the same character as you (even more rarer if they have your preferred costume to boot) . Considering, that both of you guys are willing to play any character, of course.

Well that's excluding if they choose to ditto you after one of your matches.

But finding someone who knows nothing of you but somehow unexpectedly plays one of your mains/secondaries one after another is just a coincidence from what I see. Maybe they just have the same taste in characters and costumes as you?

Truly something rare to happen but I like the existence that they might secretly know who you are : ) .

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Never heard of such an event happening to me at least.

I believe it's rare, considering there is like 52 characters in the game as of date (excluding mii fighter, swordsman, gunner.) that's like a 1.92% that you'll find someone ending up playing the same character as you (even more rarer if they have your preferred costume to boot) . Considering, that both of you guys are willing to play any character, of course.

Well that's excluding if they choose to ditto you after one of your matches.

But finding someone who knows nothing of you but somehow unexpectedly plays one of your mains/secondaries one after another is just a coincidence from what I see. Maybe they just have the same taste in characters and costumes as you?

Truly something rare to happen but I like the existence that they might secretly know who you are : ) .
Oh yeah, there's no doubt it could be coincidence, but coincidence starts looking weird after the 4/5th time in a couple of months. xD

Thorina

Smash Rookie
I had a similar thing, think I posted it in one of these forums when it happened. Anyways, got matched with someone new and the first game they picked Zelda. I had just started practicing Lucina on FG at the time, but before that I was pretty much always playing as Zelda. The person did nothing but just stand or crouch there for like 20 seconds or so, and then very slowly walked off the ledge and SD'd, respawned and repeated the same thing. They did this same thing for 2 games and then left. Lol I find it a little too bizarre to not have been on purpose.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I had a similar thing, think I posted it in one of these forums when it happened. Anyways, got matched with someone new and the first game they picked Zelda. I had just started practicing Lucina on FG at the time, but before that I was pretty much always playing as Zelda. The person did nothing but just stand or crouch there for like 20 seconds or so, and then very slowly walked off the ledge and SD'd, respawned and repeated the same thing. They did this same thing for 2 games and then left. Lol I find it a little too bizarre to not have been on purpose.
I dunno, that just sounds like coincidence to me. I've had similar things happen with other characters than Zelda - I'm talking people having the exact same multiple character choices as you right down to the costumes well before you've even showed them you play them.

Someone picking one certain character just to be a jerk is pretty commonplace TBH, and Zelda is a character a lot of poor players decide they can spam/disrespect with (When they can't.), so it doesn't sound too far-fetched for that to have happened. It was probably just chance that you play Zelda with that one IMO.

Thorina

Smash Rookie
It could be just a coincidence of course, yeah. But it wasn't just that it was Zelda, the weird thing was them doing absolutely nothing but stand there, then turn and very slowly walk off and SD. Even when I went in to attack them, they just turned and casually strolled off the ledge instead. Then rematched me still as Zelda to do the exact same thing two more stocks, not attacking me once. Since there was no lag, the whole thing just seemed pretty bizarre.

Someone coming out with multiple matching characters/costumes is pretty strange, yeah. Though I'd think it's more likely that you're running into people you've fought before than people looking stuff up on the internet. Not sure how it is on Wii U, but I'm on 3DS and I run into familiar names pretty often to the point I remember which characters some of them play as.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
It could be just a coincidence of course, yeah. But it wasn't just that it was Zelda, the weird thing was them doing absolutely nothing but stand there, then turn and very slowly walk off and SD. Even when I went in to attack them, they just turned and casually strolled off the ledge instead. Then rematched me still as Zelda to do the exact same thing two more stocks, not attacking me once. Since there was no lag, the whole thing just seemed pretty bizarre.

Someone coming out with multiple matching characters/costumes is pretty strange, yeah. Though I'd think it's more likely that you're running into people you've fought before than people looking stuff up on the internet. Not sure how it is on Wii U, but I'm on 3DS and I run into familiar names pretty often to the point I remember which characters some of them play as.
That's not that strange... Trust me. xD My time in FG has been oh-so magical in regards to weird crap.

...-and yeah, it is plausible they remember me from before, though I'm sure I remember most names too, and they rarely look familiar. I'm on 3DS too so I know all about the smaller player-pool etc, but I never seem to have issue with it. I think the first time I had a problem with it is the other day when it pit me up against the same guy twice again after he quit on me. *shrug* I've recognized names before but 9/10 even if I remember what characters they played, they're onto something new, or they just seemingly don't try that character.

Either way, pre-emptively picking someone else's main(s/secondaries) just to be a jerk is still a ****ty thing to do. lol
If you want to mirror, then by all accounts fine, but if they don't bite, just have some manners, y'know?

Itvara

Smash Rookie
Man I have my experiences with mirrors, I'll only accept it if its a Ganondorf mirror match ( It's funny lol), other than that, pretty disrespectful if you ask me.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I've had that experience myself before, especially when I'm Rosalina and Mega Man, but it's been pretty rare these days. The only ones I've been getting are those switching to tryhard characters like Captain Falcon.

Top Bottom