• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there Anyway To Avoid Tripping?

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
I am absolutely loving Brawl, but this feature is annoying to say the least. While I don't have the game yet, I still still very good players continue to trip during important parts of a match and end up eating a game changing smack attack for a KO.

I know they say when you try to fox trot or dash dance that you increase the likelihood of tripping, and that elemental effects such as lightning from lucas' aerials enhance the chance of tripping by a bit.

Is there anyway to completely avoid the seemingly randomness that is tripping?

Thanks in advance.

Kuroneko

Smash Apprentice
Reminds me of that Ultimate Fighter episode, when one of the participants asked one of the more recognized fighters, "what should I do to not get kicked?" The guy told him to start the fight with 1 knee on the ground... Just never Dash lol

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
What these guys are really saying is: No. There's really no way to avoid tripping except to press forward on the control stick less. Honestly, though, purposely limiting your movement and attack patterns in an effort to slightly decrease your chance of tripping would not be the best route to take.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Jump in place, don't use f-tilt, and use c-stick spam and grabs. Shielding and rolling would probably also work.

Generally, avoid hitting left or right.

Pretty dumb, huh.
it does, watch the ign video review at 3:29 and fox will trip in the air
That actually is a footstool. You can see that he lands in the fallen animation, not the tripping one.

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
Jump in place, don't use f-tilt, and use c-stick spam and grabs. Shielding and rolling would probably also work.

Generally, avoid hitting left or right.

Pretty dumb, huh.

That actually is a footstool. You can see that he lands in the fallen animation, not the tripping one.
how's that possible, there was noone there to footstool on. Then again i never seen a footstool.

Dither

Smash Apprentice
Well, from what I can tell, if you use the C-Stick to smash instead of tapping the control stick, you trip less.

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
I think we`ll eventually figure out the physics of tripping along with how too avoid it. thinking its completely random with no chance of being avoided will encourage some people to not try to find a solution to avoid tripping. which is something we dont want. if there is an answer to tripping, we shouldn`t discourage ourselves from looking for the answer. =]

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
Just avoid dashing unless you absolutely need to. I think sakurai did this so that we will walk and be in the air more often.

XxGUNZxX

Smash Apprentice
I know it sounds dumb, but tripping has killed so much brawl hype for me.

When I think about Brawl coming out in a couple of days I get all happy, then I remember that tripping is in and I get sad so I go into my room and cry myself to sleep.

I HOPE YOUR HAPPY SAKURAI!

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
The more videos I watch the more I see people walking rather than dashing, presumably to avoid tripping. Also I see more players almost exclusively in the air (especially Olimar and Samus.) At the moment because there is no technical solution for tripping I see dashing used more for fast attacks and/or killing moves. I still fail to see any logic behind the inclusion of random tripping but atleast it seems possible to work around it. pray for the future.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
The idea behind this random tripping "feature" was to prevent things like dashdancing. WHY removing dashdancing was a good idea in Sakurai's mind is beyond me, it was a perfectly legit and extremely useful tactic. Plus, if he wanted to take out dashdancing, couldn't he just remove the ability to turn around in the inicial dash instead of putting such a ****ing stupid tripping effect that hinders the entire rest of the game?

/endrant

Anyway, to answer the actual issue of the thread, no, I don't think there's any way to remove tripping from the game, unless there's an undiscovered option to do so that we don't know about yet due to Japanese menus, but somehow I doubt it.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
I don't see characters like Wario doing it that often because he spends most of his time in the air. If it gets too bad, start playing as an air oriented fighter. Otherwise, just try to play normally and see if how much you trip and what makes you trip. Do you dash dance too much? Avoid those things. Maybe more arial approaches in general.

Kamaji

Smash Ace
you dont even have to dash to trip. Pressing left or right on the groud will do it too, when I try to smash or tilt as snake I often fall down.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
I really wish there was a specific way to avoid it. With all the options they give, I can't believe you can't just turn tripping on/off...

Top Bottom