• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any Possibility of Project M for Sm4sh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defeatthefall

Smash Rookie
I was just wondering, smash 4 is alright and all, but if the melee engine was injected into sm4sh 4, which is a beautiful ****ing game, it's litterally gorgeous. But my point is, who would want to play it over sm4sh? I would LOVE that game.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
No, no there isn't.
The PMDT (Project M Dev Team) even said they aren't going to make a Project M for Smash 4.
But hey, Smash 4 is a wonderful game by itself. There's no need to Mod such a game that Sakurai--quite literally--worked his Arm off to make. Seriously, that guy spent so much time making us these great games.
Appreciate 'em.
Be safe around trains.

Defeatthefall

Smash Rookie
No, no there isn't.
The PMDT (Project M Dev Team) even said they aren't going to make a Project M for Smash 4.
But hey, Smash 4 is a wonderful game by itself. There's no need to Mod such a game that Sakurai--quite literally--worked his Arm off to make. Seriously, that guy spent so much time making us these great games.
Appreciate 'em.
Be safe around trains.
although I appreciate your comment I see that you don't have a Project M main listed, so I was wondering if you played enjoyed PM at all?

suarsuar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
suarsuar
I can assure you it will never happen.

There are several reasons for this:

As it stands, PM is already in a very tight, awkward spot with not official support or recognition from Nintendo.

Luckily, one needs, in most cases anyway, SSBB to play the mod on their Wii so sales have seen a marginal spike around PM patches and releases. There are also cases where people even buy a Wii or new GC controllers JUST to play the mod. If the mod had the game by itself it would be a straight pirate, but it doesn't so it does not concern Nintendo too highly.

However, as soon as PM incorporates any new technology from Sm4sh, there will be drama as Nintendo's product will then be directly in competition with the mod as people might shift away from Sm4sh to enjoy the content elsewhere - a substitute.

The only reason, again, why the creators of PM haven't received a Cease and Desist letter is because no real monetary harm is being done.

When it comes to copyrighted material and intellectual property, there is a lot to be said so it is all a legal head ache in the end. There are many, thousands of licensing standards the mod doesn't follow because it isn't trying to do that, it's just trying to recreate Melee. But, for example, you can't just take Sonic and make him any color you want because there are huge trademark infringements that run along with that. It's just a mess, really, to get into.

If PM stays where it is and improves itself through balance patches and feedback from users, then it will surely prosper.

The day Bowser Jr. or Robin or anybody new enters the mod will be the day Nintendo will strike.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
although I appreciate your comment I see that you don't have a Project M main listed, so I was wondering if you played enjoyed PM at all?
I have played Project M, and I do enjoy it, however I do not own it at the time, due to my Computer not having an SD Card Slot (nor do I have a free SD Card anymore) therefore I don't have a definitive Main.
If I were to choose from my past experience, however, I would pick either Roy or Ivysaur.
But that'll be settled at a later date. =w=

Last edited:

Defeatthefall

Smash Rookie
I can assure you it will never happen.

There are several reasons for this:

As it stands, PM is already in a very tight, awkward spot with not official support or recognition from Nintendo.

Luckily, one needs, in most cases anyway, SSBB to play the mod on their Wii so sales have seen a marginal spike around PM patches and releases. There are also cases where people even buy a Wii or new GC controllers JUST to play the mod. If the mod had the game by itself it would be a straight pirate, but it doesn't so it does not concern Nintendo too highly.

However, as soon as PM incorporates any new technology from Sm4sh, there will be drama as Nintendo's product will then be directly in competition with the mod as people might shift away from Sm4sh to enjoy the content elsewhere - a substitute.

The only reason, again, why the creators of PM haven't received a Cease and Desist letter is because no real monetary harm is being done.

When it comes to copyrighted material and intellectual property, there is a lot to be said so it is all a legal head ache in the end. There are many, thousands of licensing standards the mod doesn't follow because it isn't trying to do that, it's just trying to recreate Melee. But, for example, you can't just take Sonic and make him any color you want because there are huge trademark infringements that run along with that. It's just a mess, really, to get into.

If PM stays where it is and improves itself through balance patches and feedback from users, then it will surely prosper.

The day Bowser Jr. or Robin or anybody new enters the mod will be the day Nintendo will strike.
I love this entire Reply :D thank you, well said!

Smallfry

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0189-8684-8327
I was just wondering, smash 4 is alright and all, but if the melee engine was injected into sm4sh 4, which is a beautiful ****ing game, it's litterally gorgeous. But my point is, who would want to play it over sm4sh? I would LOVE that game.
I dont think so. Its a lot faster then Brawl, and though it isnt quite melee, I dont think itll get a PM

suarsuar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
suarsuar
I love this entire Reply :D thank you, well said!
A pleasure.

I will say that it is very awkward that both are now receiving huge amounts of attention.

The mod is featured in large scale tournaments here and there and people are getting into it from all stretches of the world.

But then the release of Sm4sh will bring anyone that has ever heard the title to at least play it and try it and spark all sorts of new competitive discussion and innovation.

I almost wish that Sm4sh didn't come out when it did because both bring serious amounts of content to the scene so compromises will have to be made.

The meta for the mod is constantly changing and more dynamic than any other Smash title.

And people still play Melee even so now there's 3 titles.

I wouldn't be surprised if tournaments featured all 3 as main events or even 1 or 2 of them as side events.

The community will not fragment, it will just diversify.

When the mod came out, people did not stop playing Melee outright so not much can be said about Sm4sh keeping players from the mod.

Last edited:

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
People like me wouldn't go anywhere near it. I cant pick up a stick compared to the guys online for Project M. And really, Sakurai was trying to make this game so both casual and competitive players could enjoy it. He gave us gamecube controllers, tourneys, perfect pivots, foxtrots, wavebouncing, no tripping, e.t.c. Making Project M 2.0 would be a giant middle finger.

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
I could see it happening in the future if the Wii U becomes more hackable. I don't think the current Project M team will necessarily be involved or anything, but I think it's something someone will try to do eventually.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
I could see it happening in the future if the Wii U becomes more hackable. I don't think the current Project M team will necessarily be involved or anything, but I think it's something someone will try to do eventually.
"More hackable"? You mean if someone reverse engineers the wii u or someone gets a dev kit?

popo12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nucleotyde
3DS FC
1977-0411-3918
Yeah, if it gets figured out more. I'm not sure what the current status of Wii U hacking is, but a big part of what makes Brawl hacking so popular is how easy and convenient stacksmash is. I've played hacks for four years and haven't even installed Homebrew. I think it'll take a certain amoubt of convenience for Smash 4 hacks to really take off.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I dont want a PM made for smash 4. But if hacking on the wii u ever gets to the point that it is on the wii i wouldn't mind if these horrible ass blast zones get a look at.

HotelWaffle

Smash Apprentice
As long as you need a disc to play the mod they should be okay. PM might not make a mod but somebody will. I want Ice Climbers HD.

suarsuar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
suarsuar
I dont want a PM made for smash 4. But if hacking on the wii u ever gets to the point that it is on the wii i wouldn't mind if these horrible *** blast zones get a look at.
How terrible can they be?

Still waiting for Sm4sh in the mail. v_v

shapular

Smash Ace
No. This doesn't need to happen. Stop bringing it up. Smash 4 is the perfect Smash game and a Project M of it will only make it worse (like it did with Brawl).

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
PMDT has said they're not making a PM for Smash 4. Not sure its really needed as people seem to accept it unlike how Brawl was.
Though Im sure if Wii U hacking becomes a thing, expect people to make custom characters and stuff.

The Seventh One

Smash Cadet
Game dose not need any major mods. Perhaps some rebalancing to fix some inconsistencys like Samus's bombs not blowing up when the other player touches them/her not having a jabcombo that works like the rest of the cast(except Ganon).

Roxas215

Smash Lord
No. This doesn't need to happen. Stop bringing it up. Smash 4 is the perfect Smash game and a Project M of it will only make it worse (like it did with Brawl).
While i agree that a Pm for this game is not needed. There is nothing perfect about Smash 4 at all. There is alot of good in it but there's also alot of bad in it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom