• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any functional difference with wavelands compared to wavedashes?

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
I know the technical difference between WL and WD, but it seems to me that some characters (especially Ganondorf) seem to get more speed and/or distance from a waveland than a wavedash. Is this true or am I just seeing things? Is there any difference in functionality between WL and WD or are they exactly the same? Is there a reason why some character's metagames utilize one of these more than other characters?

Rayvalk

Smash Rookie
I think the fact you are talking about is true. I also find much easier to waveland than to wavedash. The reason it becomes easier to me, i think, its because the wavedash is made when you are ascending after jumping, and the waveland, most of them are made while descending.

Wavelanding feels much faster for some characters like Ganon because they don't have to enter their pre-jump frames which is when they're stuck on the ground for a few frames before they leave it. Ganondorf has I think 6 or 7 frames of it. The highest is 9 frames which Bowser has. The lowest is 4, which several characters have, including Fox. The land fall special animation during wavedashing/wavelanding lasts 10 frames

Last edited:

rpotts

Smash Lord
The reason is this: it's possible to hold the stick directly horizontal and achieve a perfect waveland, it is not with a wavedash. If you try to do a 100% horizontal wavedash you will airdodge 100% of the time. In order to wavedash you have to be at least slightly diagonal into the ground, and the gamecube analog stick reads directions within several degrees of cardinal directions the same as directly horizontal/vertical, as shown by this huge image below. The huge white spaces are "dead zones", where the input is taken as either a cardinal direction or the nearest recognized angle, which iirc, is about 17 degrees from 0/90/180/270. The red arrows represent the lowest angle of wavedash that the gamecube will read, compared to directly horizontal for wavelands.

Last edited:

ELStalky

Smash Apprentice
To elaborate on rpotts's post: As far as i know it's about the environment collision box, the thing that makes you stand and land.

If you stand it's as tall as the character, when you airdodge it is a bit smaller, so if you try to airdodge sideways from a standing position, i.e. try to wavedash, you will not touch the ground.
When you jump the collision box becomes smaller (especially for many double jumps where the characters curl up), and the subsequent airdodge will make it larger, so if you fall down close enough to the ground or airdodge while going through a platform at the right time you will land even when going completely to the side because the collision box will extend to the ground.

Look at any BizzaroFlame match, he'll often do the double jump before the waveland because it makes him so small which in turn makes it easier to get close enough to the ground for the perfect sideways waveland. Here you also can see him mess up quite a few in hand-warmers:

Last edited:

looking guy

Smash Cadet
The reason is this: it's possible to hold the stick directly horizontal and achieve a perfect waveland, it is not with a wavedash. If you try to do a 100% horizontal wavedash you will airdodge 100% of the time. In order to wavedash you have to be at least slightly diagonal into the ground, and the gamecube analog stick reads directions within several degrees of cardinal directions the same as directly horizontal/vertical, as shown by this huge image below. The huge white spaces are "dead zones", where the input is taken as either a cardinal direction or the nearest recognized angle, which iirc, is about 17 degrees from 0/90/180/270. The red arrows represent the lowest angle of wavedash that the gamecube will read, compared to directly horizontal for wavelands.

So all those grey lines are different diagonal angles you can input?? and where did you get that image from??

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I know the technical difference between WL and WD, but it seems to me that some characters (especially Ganondorf) seem to get more speed and/or distance from a waveland than a wavedash. Is this true or am I just seeing things? Is there any difference in functionality between WL and WD or are they exactly the same? Is there a reason why some character's metagames utilize one of these more than other characters?
Is easier to get the longest WD when you airdodge on a platform or reach the ground as the airdodge can be done completely horizontal. The reason for this is because the timing is easier, you have more time to airdodge when you're falling off or jumping to a platform. When you're on the ground and you jump, you only have 5 frames then you have to airdodge immediately (actually is not 5 frames, but most of them are below 9, it depends on the character but you get the point). Airdodging forward and triangle jumping are common on people who attempt to get the full lenght on a WD while grounded, and don't forget the ocational suicide forward B's from spacies players.

Last edited:

ELStalky

Smash Apprentice
Is easier to get the longest WD when you airdodge on a platform or reach the ground as the airdodge can be done completely horizontal. The reason for this is because the timing is easier, ...
No it isn't. It is plain impossible to do a horizontal wavedash while grounded.

Airdodging forward and triangle jumping are common on people who attempt to get the full lenght on a WD while grounded
Air-dodging forward -> Angle too flat.
Triangle jump -> Air-dodge too late.
There also is: Accidental jump -> Air-dodge too early. (While in jump-squat)

and don't forget the ocational suicide forward B's from spacies players.
Wrong buttons, those usually result from dash-jump lasers and run-up shines.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
No it isn't. It is plain impossible to do a horizontal wavedash while grounded.
Sorry I meant to say the longest WD possible (close to horizontal angle)

Air-dodging forward -> Angle too flat.
Triangle jump -> Air-dodge too late.
There also is: Accidental jump -> Air-dodge too early. (While in jump-squat)
Thanks for clarifying, the last one is pretty annoying. This happens to me when I switch characters and I mess up the timing, it goes away after a while when I'm warmed up.

Wrong buttons, those usually result from dash-jump lasers and run-up shines.
It happens to me when I waveshine and I hold forward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom