• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any content in this game to suggest Pac-Man has ever had a game past the arcade era?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
From what I've seen from the trophies, everything Pac-Man has gotten is from the arcade games and only the arcade games.

Is there anything from his console games?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
The Wii U version has trophies that are more focused on console games, we'll probably see more there.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You crazy kids. That's some wishful thinking there, and great imagination. As if this little feller could have a game past his maze going, mouth chomping, ghost hunting, days.

Cooky idea. As if they could make a sequel to PACMAN.

Last edited:

ChickenBandit

Smash Rookie
From what I've seen from the trophies, everything Pac-Man has gotten is from the arcade games and only the arcade games.

The fire hydrant is from Pac Land. There's also a Pac Land stage in the Wii U version. Also his general appearance is drawn from the later games

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Technically, his appearance is from Pac-Land, so that should be post-arcade. Same with the Fire Hydrant move. But it's obvious that the version of Pac-Man used is meant to be iconic as possible. It's sort of the same with Mega Man. Since he's a modern looking version of his 8-bit self. As opposed to Mega Man 8/MvC1 styled look.

From what I understand, it was Namco that convinced Sakurai to even use the Pac-Land/Pac-Man World design. We could have just gotten the pie shape Pac-Man. Though I don't know how true that is.

I can understand that you'd want some more representation of games like Pac-Man World, they were good games.

mrrwalden

Smash Rookie
Pac-Land was originally an arcade game though.

You could draw some parallels to the Pac-Man World series in parts of his moveset but it would be a bit of a stretch, IMO - Pac-Man has something that looks like PMW2's flip kick, yes, but so do Mario, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, Zero Suit Samus, etc...
His Side B functions kinda like the Pac-Dot Chains in the PMW series, but like with his Up Air, I'd chalk that up more to coincidence than anything else.

But yeah, like @ SegaNintendoUbisoft SegaNintendoUbisoft mentioned, maybe the console version will have some representation? Won't hold my breath on it, but it would be nice!

(A side note: it would be cool to see some music from Pac-Man Arrangement (another arcade game, but still) turn up in the Wii U version - that game had my favorite soundtrack of any Pac-Man game, console games included. Won't really be disappointed if that doesn't happen though, because the Pac-Mania medley they already have is pretty fantastic.)

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
The Fire Hyrdant could also be taken as being from The New Adventures of Pac-Man, a SNES game and a horrible, great treasure of a game. The Up Air, as stated by others is PMW2's flip kick.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Aside from being an obvious throwback to Mappy, Pac-Jump's concept and overall animation is actually pretty reminiscent of the mobile game Pac'N Jump. Considering it would have made more sense to have had him jump off of the trampoline in anthro form, I'd say that the way they went about it has a good chance of being an intentional reference to this game.

Last edited:

~Rainbow Mika

Smash Cadet
NNID
rigobfd64
3DS FC
0361-6812-0263
I hope the Wii U version has thropies like Toc-man, Pac-Devil, Spooky, or at least the ghosts with their pac-man world models.
But pretty sure it would be just Namco's Arcade Classic stuff (Dig-Dug,Xevious,After Burner, etc..)

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Pac-Land was originally an arcade game though.

You could draw some parallels to the Pac-Man World series in parts of his moveset but it would be a bit of a stretch, IMO - Pac-Man has something that looks like PMW2's flip kick, yes, but so do Mario, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, Zero Suit Samus, etc...
His Side B functions kinda like the Pac-Dot Chains in the PMW series, but like with his Up Air, I'd chalk that up more to coincidence than anything else.
That Uair is definitely the flip kick.

AwkwardNess

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin
In Smash, moves that resemble ones from a source game usually aren't coincidental. I feel as though they wouldn't have made a move that resembles moves like the Flip Kick if it wasn't meant to be the move. It's not like Nintendo or Namco desperately need to ignore the Pac-Man World Series or anything.

Slidin

Smash Rookie
I was actually going to make a thread covering the World references included in this game. In addition with what was mentioned above, there is a callback to Pac-Man World 1 in one of the Wii U trophies about Pac-Man's house. As far as I can tell, this is the ONLY direct reference to the World series in all of Smash (besides his appearance!), as the rest of his moves such as the kickflip could very well be coincidental (I'm not saying they are, as I do believe it is a reference to World 2, but nothing is written in concrete).

SmashWiki said:
A dainty, little face-like house. PAC-MAN dreamed of raising a family in his dream home while working hard and eating power pellets. Finally, after lots and lots of hard work, this dream came true! Good job, PAC-MAN! Twenty years (or so) later, he moves into a yellow house with more rooms, but that's in another game.

PAC-MAN must have always dreamed of raising a family in a house that looks like a face. Well, after spending ages eating power pellets and taking out ghosts, his dream came true! In another game - one which marked his 20th anniversary - he has a bigger house with more rooms. Moving up in the world, eh, PAC-MAN?

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Flip Kick is bit too good to be coincidential, so I take it in as that. Perhaps they remember it being in PW2 and finding it thus a good fit like most of other chars using a similar move.

I always saw Power Pellet being inspired by Pac-Dot Chain from World 2, BTW.

Last edited:
Top Bottom