• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there an easy way to gimp as Ike?

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
I have played a ton of Ike but the only ways i can get offstage kills as him are with stage spikes, fair or murder suicide aether. Are there any other ways to gimp with him?

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Well, ledgeguarding will play a part along with reverse back-air. First, Ledge moves punishes: d-tilt, u-tilt, f-smash, d-smash, and reverse u-smash. When you see your opponent going for the ledge. ledge trump them and if you see them going for the ledge again, then punish with one of those move. Down-smash(mostly) and forward-smash to kill. Reverse Back air to trick your opponent if they think that you going for a fair.
Its all about reading your opponent and pressuring them to either get them in a bad position or cause them to make a mistake for you to punish. Hopes this helps.

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama
I use walk off f-air a lot. The range and speed of the first half of the swing catches people off guard when they try to recover low. Also walk off d-air if they're in range for that.

There's counter for people like DK, Mario, Peach, etc, who have predictable up b's that you know will hit your counter.

Aether can work in some situations. For example if you go off stage and the opponent ends up between you and the ledge, aether could catch them at the ledge for a spike or at least some damage.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Eruption. If they recover low, usually you just need to time it right and they'll be sent to the heavens by the flames of blue.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Your best bet is probably Fair - not to cause the usual feeble knockback that interrupts recoveries, but just to knock them too far away to recover after losing their double jump. Nair sends opponents at too upward an angle, Bair is too narrow to bait airdodges with, but might still work out.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
Eruption. If they recover low, usually you just need to time it right and they'll be sent to the heavens by the flames of blue.
I know the edgeguarding with Eruption thing and I do use it a lot but it won't do a whole lot against people who often mix up their recoveries, I feel some form of being able to hit them back offstage when they use their double jump would just be more effective

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Eruption for low and deep recoveries work for most of the cast. You won't find a better KO move in such a situation. Characters that have the ability to shark through the stage or who prefer use a rising aerial when at a low/middle recovery you can use walk off f-air, walk off b-air for the stage spike or use Counter depending on the MU and their move. (I've sent a good number of Ness and sharking characters to their deaths this way. Some advice is to avoid using Counter against characters with really fast recovery moves from the middle range, like Fox and Falco Phantasm. You won't hit that.)

Ike can struggle with securing the KO when the opponent is recovering high or from the middle. You'll have to use your best judgement on whether to try to knock them back out of range or punish their landing. Example, I tend to have better luck punish Lucas when he hits the ground than when he's using PK Thunder dash as his recovery but have no problems challenging DK's spinning kong with a disjointed F-air or Counter. I've also performed a d-tilt to F-smash at the ledge when a character tries to go for the snap with a move that pops up over the ledge slightly. (It isn't a true combo by any means, but it can surprise the opponent long enough for them to not no what to do and get split in half by Ragnell.)

TLDR; If they have to snap to live, you should be using either Eruption or Ledge-trump to B-air. If they can wiggle around before snapping; walk offs, spikes or a well timed Eruption work wonders. If they can shark, avoid Eruption and use walk offs or Counter. At middle or high recoveries, best judgement based on the player.

Last edited:
Top Bottom