• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there an easier way to Drop skins onto characters?!

Kain VKail

Smash Rookie
So.....I've been doing this a lot by hand, and for the most part I've figured out most of it. I've been practicing on zelda and sheik because I feel like they are the hardest to do this with, not that this should be all that hard. I've downloaded the skins I want for them, Then I figure out which Color I want it to go over. I rename it appropriately, I delete the color/skin In the chars "Fit" folder, and then I copy paste the new one on top. Then I go into Brawl Box and I replace their Portraits. I save, and then Defrag my SD Card (I may skip this part next time)

I do this for both Sheik And Zelda, then I go to test it and a bunch of them are switched and screwed up. The first time I did it I put on "Human Midna" and "SS Young Impa" and it worked Flawlessly. I did it again with Gerudo versions of Sheik and Zelda and they ended up one forward ffrom where I tried to place them.

I don't understand whats going on.....I've also done this a few times with Pikachu by adding Raichu and Jolteon and that worked perfect too.

BTW the entire time I've been doing this it's been on someone elses "Brawl 2.5b Cutsom pack" and I've just been trying to edit out the ones I don't like and replace them with skins I do. So can someone tell me what might be Happening? Or Is there a way to Check if the texture is loding onto the right color as I'm doing it?

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I dunno about making it easier, but if you're getting stuff screwed up, you might just be putting stuff in the wrong places?

Fit__00.pcs is always the default color
Fit__01.pcs is Red team, unless their default is Red (ie. Mario has no 01 cuz 00 is red)
Fit__02.pcs is Green team, unless their default is Green (ie. Luigi has no 02, cuz 00 is green)
Fit__03.pcs is Blue team. Every vBrawl character I can think of has a 03, cuz default blue characters all seem to have extra "more blue" skins (ie. Lucario, ZSS) In the case of Lucario in PM, his 03 was replaced, and his blue team now reads from 00.

Fit__04.pcs will usually be the first color you can find that isn't default or team oriented (usually yellow). For characters who have White costumes, 04 is almost always Black.
Fit__05.pcs is almost always Black, unless the character also has a White costume. If they have a White costume, it'll usually be 05
Fit__06.pcs will be, if they even have one, whatever color is left after default, red, green, blue, black, and white have all been exhausted.

I don't use brawlbox or anything to peek into codes, this is just stuff I figured out on my own.

Kain VKail

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys this helps a good bit. I'm gonna mess about with it some more.

If I can't get it to work then I'm just gonna use the Default v2.5b And just steal whatever textures I like from the Custom pack. I'll just export all their Profile CSS from BrawlBox. Hopefully I don't have to do this because it'd take a ridiculously long time.

Kain VKail

Smash Rookie
Sorry for double post, But apparently WITH brawlBox I can Check my work as I'm doing it?! that would be exactly what I need I just can't figure THAT out.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Fit__03.pcs is Blue team. Every vBrawl character I can think of has a 03, cuz default blue characters all seem to have extra "more blue" skins (ie. Lucario, ZSS) In the case of Lucario in PM, his 03 was replaced, and his blue team now reads from 00.
Sonic and Lucario both use their default costumes on the blue team and have no 03 (even in vBrawl).

Kain VKail

Smash Rookie
Lucario
00-Original
01-Red
02-Green
04-Light Blue
05-White

This is pasted from the texture database/how to thread... so no, Lucario has an 03, though Sonic does not.

Anyways, Kain, don't bother with defraging unless your songs start making static sounds. There are two ways to check your textures in brawlbox. There is the "texturedata" directory near the bottom, and if you open the model data at the top of list, you can right click on whatever and preview a 3d model of the character with most if not all of the textures applied. (ganon/falcon don't have textures applied to their bodies in the model previewer.
ok that's exactly what i was looking for! thanks so much!

Kati

Smash Lord
Well damn. That's just awful me. I guess I was more focused on saying that Lucario had an alternate blue team texture, but what I said still makes no sense.

Anyways, model previewer in older versions of brawlbo such as .63 is unable to display some textures. So for example, falcon will have a black helmet and jump suit regardless of the texture, but his gloves/boots/scarf will be properly displayed. Even in .67 though where most textures are visible, Ganon's armour isn't replicated 100% in the model previewer.

But yeah, open modeldata[0], then the model data folder, then right click on Fit(charactername) and click preview.

Kain VKail

Smash Rookie
ok So maybe I'm still a tad confused. So I can look at the Character Models for the Textures, That's fine. But is there a way to, So to speak, "Check my work" as i'm putting the textures on. because what I've been doing is:
1. loading the textures one character at a time
2. then I change the portraits
3. eject my SD card and plug it into brawl
4. load up Project M and then select the character
5. see if the portrait matches the Fit_0X, and if it doesnt then I make a formula (just for sheik and zelda)

So this is a fairly long process that took me a good portion of one day. thankfully i wasn't busy that day so I could learn all that.....But I digress....

Anyways! I basically just want a way for BrawlBox to Check my work. I'm still loading all the Textures by Hand in large quantities.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Anyways, model previewer in older versions of brawlbo such as .63 is unable to display some textures. So for example, falcon will have a black helmet and jump suit regardless of the texture, but his gloves/boots/scarf will be properly displayed.
That was just his reflective texture or whatever it's called (displaying incorrectly in BB). You could turn it off and view the clothing textures as they correctly show up in game.

Kain VKail

Smash Rookie
BTW, Kinda Important I'm assuming.....So when a texture comes with a MotionETC.pac, Does that mean it NEEDS that to function properly or should it work just as well and that's just an effect texture? EX: I've got the "Bass (Megaman)" Texture/Skin/Vertex (not sure which one) for Ganon and it seems a tad small. I'm guessing that the MotionEtc.pac is the Hitboxes?

I'm assuming there's a basics section I should read that I'm missing hahaha.

For the most part I've figured this out on my own except these few questions I've had, but until recently I haven't run into one of these MotionEtc.pac, but I HAVE seen them in the "Char. Texture Source folders"

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure the MotionETC.pac files will screw up how the character functions in PM. That's probably something included with the texture to change the moveset somehow, or change the animations for some moves. I only ever use the Fit__0X.pcs files, and my textures all work fine.

In the case of Zelda/Sheik, you need to make sure you also use the Fit__0X.pac file as well as the .pcs, or they won't keep the texture if they transform. I also had to use the .pac file for Bowser, which I assume is because of the change to his size in PM.

Kain VKail

Smash Rookie
Thanks a bunch Guise!!!

And one more thing. If I wanted to add ANOTHER Fit_XX to someone like Lucario, is it possible or does the game try and eat you? I just want to add that "03" as a secondary Lucario.

O, and btw, I've been flying through these retextures thanks to you guys. I've almost changed the entire board to my liking.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
The motionetc.pac contains the character's animations. Some textures come with modded animations that resize body parts appropriately for the texture or otherwise edit the animations. Using these non-PM animation files will mess up the character for use in PM.

Using PM motionetc files, the texture will work fine, but it will be the same height/shape as the original character.

The only way around this is to get the creator of the texture to mod the PM motionetc file the same way he modded the vBrawl one.

Top Bottom