• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a way to revert the game to the original version?

Pomf

Smash Rookie
I got Smash 4 on launch day for 3DS (the US version). I barely play it, since I have the game on Wii U. I loved wectoring, and the hoo-hah, and all the fun glitches and such. Is there a way I can revert the game back to the original version, before any updates came out? I have the game downloaded on my SD card, not the actual cartridge. I'm performing a game repair right now to see if it works.

3DS XL
16GB SD
Downloaded Smash 4
Can I revert to the original/oldest version? How?

D

Deleted member

Formatting your 3DS or using a brand new SD card or deleting your SD card should work. However, you'd lose your other digital saves.

You can delete your save file and it'll let you play the game, but it won't let you save. So you have to format so your 3DS or SD card doesn't do that whole "Get the latest version!" thing and makes you unable to save.

Pomf

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
I deleted update data, and it seems to be on the old version
After the game said I won't be able to save, it made save data??
Confusing.

saving doesn't work
i'm gonna try to delete the entire game and redownload it
hopefully it doesnt automatically update

To those who may view this thread in the future:
Going in to system settings and deleting the game entirely followed by redownloading from the eshop will allow you to play the original version, and will also allow you to save. Have fun hoo-hahing all the scrubs... I need to test out if you can play offline multiplayer...

Last edited by a moderator:
To those who may view this thread in the future:
Going in to system settings and deleting the game entirely followed by redownloading from the eshop will allow you to play the original version, and will also allow you to save. Have fun hoo-hahing all the scrubs... I need to test out if you can play offline multiplayer...
You probably need others with the same version of the game to play multiplayer at all. I think all you've got to play against would be the CPUs.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
You probably need others with the same version of the game to play multiplayer at all. I think all you've got to play against would be the CPUs.
Yeah, I can confirm from experience that you have to have the same version of the game to be able to play offline multiplayer.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Does this trick work with physical copy on the Wii U version? I'd like to externally record some of my better replays that are unplayable.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You can't access your game data if you're not playing the newest update. Trying to do that will make the software start a brand new game, which will never save itself; similar to how Melee never saves if a Memory Card is not inserted into Slot A on the GameCube.

When the update is redownloaded, you'll be able to access your game data again.

Pomf

Smash Rookie
So yeah, you have to have people playing the same version in order to play multiplayer, and you cannot play online.
Some of my friends are reverting to the old version to test offline.

You can't access your game data if you're not playing the newest update. Trying to do that will make the software start a brand new game, which will never save itself; similar to how Melee never saves if a Memory Card is not inserted into Slot A on the GameCube.

When the update is redownloaded, you'll be able to access your game data again.
After deleting the game entirely and redownloading it, I was able to save data. Of course, it removes all of your previous save data, but you are able to save. If you need proof I can prove it.

Also sorry for the double post, I'm a forum noob. :)

Does this trick work with physical copy on the Wii U version? I'd like to externally record some of my better replays that are unplayable.
I don't know, there's probably a way to do it though. Your replays will be deleted though, so :/

Top Bottom