• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a reliable way to tech?

Weavile493

Smash Rookie
NNID
Weavile_493
Techs or teching hits is important to high level competitive play but is there a way to practice it by yourself without a partner? The only thing I can think of is hitting yourself on the side of a stage with duck hunts neutral b and trying to tech the stage (if that even works I haven't tried it yet) so how do you practice teching the stage and walls?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Good question...

Maybe try throwing bumpers?

Put yourself at max %. Then on the edge use one full jump, off the edge, and throw the bumper down. Then go under it and recover into it, hitting the side the stage is on.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I just made a custom stage that's a box (lava up top so you don't spawn there). It makes it so you can never die, and will always hit something to tech against eventually.
Then I set Bomb-Ombs, Motion Sensor Bombs, Bumpers, etc to high.

Add 1-3 lv9 CPUs to hit you, and see how much you can (Perfect) Shield and Tech if you missed that.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The spikes on Palutena's Temple are good. The one in the room at the very bottom can help you learn to reliably tech stage spikes.

Just Jump or Up-B into the top of the spike near the ceiling, and tech all day.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Go to Hyrule Temple, set the damage ratio to 2.0, and fight a CPU in the Fight Club.

You will master teching very quickly. Even better against friends who run Gravity Aura Sphere.

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
My own personal soapbox: It is way too easy to tech in smash4. Grounded meteor smashes should not be techable. I really, really despise this aspect of the game. It's my #1 complaint about the game right now.
You can probably learn to tech in 20 minutes and mostly activate it completely accidentally even if you don't bother to take those 20 minutes. A bunch of characters, particularly low-tiers, would get a boost if you couldn't tech their moves or made that window very small.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Haha then u get baired by gamenwatch under the map and cry because the multiple hits lol this is actually some good advise on here thanks guys

Top Bottom