• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a reason not to use LV2 Focus instead of LV3 Focus?

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
Focus Attack has three distinct levels attained by charging the move longer. You can tell when the move reaches its next level when Ryu flashes yellow during the charge.

LV1: 12% damage, 1 hit of armor, knocks opponent back on hit
LV2: 10% damage, 1 hit of armor, short crumple on hit, does huge damage to shields but can be perfect-shielded
LV3: 17% damage, 1 hit of armor, long crumple on hit, ignores shields and perfect shields

There does not appear to be a difference within levels. A LV2 focus that is one millisecond away from LV3 seems to be the same as a LV2 Focus released right when LV2 is attained.

A LV3 Focus is nice to take when the opponent gives you a highly-telegraphed opportunity, of course, but when it comes to using the move in neutral in general, does the risk/reward seem to be better with LV2? The short crumple can still lead into a combo if you dash cancel it, the shield damage is still huge, it's not easy to perfect-shield because the timing of the move can vary and players shouldn't be trying to shield against Focus in the first place, and it can still be dash canceled on shield (is the dash cancel backward good enough to keep it safe, though?).

What do the rest of you think?

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
At level 2 or 3 you are guaranteed any move. So there is no point unless you're trying to eat a shield.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Depends on the opponent and their reactions.
^ This. Most people are probably gonna expect you to either dash cancel, or YOLO the whole focus attack. Mixing up with lvl 2 with FADC, and sh dair > lvl 2 focus is really good. Test them a few times to see how they react.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
If your opponent is guarding a lot or counter-happy, go for a Level 3. A Level 2 Focus would be a much better choice if you're great with your cancels.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I really gotta test if FA lvl2 dash back cancel is safe on block. Probably is though.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
I generally use less than Lv3 if my opponent is in position to be hit ahead of time and theyre NOT a lumbering character like Bowser/DK so they can probably roll away before i charge up. Better to smack them when theyre there than risk being wide open or grabcountered.

Top Bottom