• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Is the Wii U Version the "Cash Grab"?

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
Smash Bros has been on every home nintendo console since the N64 ... why not release Smash on the newest console ala wiiU?

3DS may have a superior library of games (So far) but it's clear that the Wii U version will Wiin.
I'm a WiiU > 3DS guy but I do have to say the 3DS version is waaaaaay better than I expected! Graphics are almost on par with Brawl, I can make this statement because I now own the game and have played many hours of it!

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
3DS may have a superior library of games (So far) but it's clear that the Wii U version will Wiin.
Nintendo really needs better naming schemes if their next console is the WiiN. At least AMD follows a messed up numerical system where R5, R7, and R9 denote GPU classes. This is even worse than the illogical Xbox One. Hello? The original Xbox was the Xbox One while the new one is the Xbox Three or Xbox 720.

Y'know, now a I really wished that the 3DS and Wii U versions were vastly, vastly different rather than being a portable and console SSB game.

Booster

Smash Lord
Nintendo really needs better naming schemes if their next console is the WiiN. At least AMD follows a messed up numerical system where R5, R7, and R9 denote GPU classes. This is even worse than the illogical Xbox One. Hello? The original Xbox was the Xbox One while the new one is the Xbox Three or Xbox 720.

Y'know, now a I really wished that the 3DS and Wii U versions were vastly, vastly different rather than being a portable and console SSB game.
They should've given Wii U Exclusive characters that 3DS' hardware couldn't handle, similar to what they did with Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion XL. Albeit that game is incredibly ****ty, they knew what they had to add in for the console release.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
The Wii U version is probably meant for, and will be used by, the competitive community. The 3DS version seems more casual to be honest. The stage variety seems to suggest this.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Also worth noting that that Japan is comparatively a tiny fraction of the market, but they still get a lot of special treatment.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
They should've given Wii U Exclusive characters that 3DS' hardware couldn't handle, similar to what they did with Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion XL. Albeit that game is incredibly ****ty, they knew what they had to add in for the console release.
No, what I was thinking was that characters that can work on both systems stay. Obviously, that's almost every veteran. Characters that can't, like what happened with the Ice Climbers get to be featured on the system (Wii U) that runs them fine.

Newcomers? Split between which system they're prominent in along with newcomers that should appear in both like Mega Man, Pac-Man, Greninja, Duck Hunt, etc.. But say, for a Zelda newcomer, the 3DS should have Vaati while the Wii U gets Ghirahim or Midna - whichever form and with or without Wolf Link. Impa, Toon Zelda, and Toon Ganon if ever planned would pop in for both due to a desire for a sword-wielding Ganondorf and because Toon Zelda and Impa appeared and hold prominent roles in the Zelda games while the others only appeared strictly for handheld or console Zelda games.

But what about franchises like Fire Emblem or Pokémon that never really had prominent handheld - early Fire Emblems and the Tellius/Ike & Micaiah games were console - or console release? Pokémon is that popular where it wouldn't make sense to have Greninja and Pokémon be only on the 3DS. Imagine the rage storm. As for Fire Emblem, it'd be debatable since the 3DS could feature Lucina and Robin while the Wii U features Micaiah and someone else er... Greil? There will be controversies since people would complain that Fire Emblem has too many newcomers since even though it's only 2 per version or that the Wii U has a superior Fire Emblem cast and that BS when the intention is the have two different, but similar games.

That same logic would be ignored if Metroid had say, Rundas and Dark Samus on the Wii U while the 3DS had Sylux and er... Weavel. Not to mention Ridley who'd be featured in both (if ever planned) since he's prominent as part of the series and not just as part of the handhelds or console Metroids.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
The 3DS version is, while a solid game, honestly likely meant to be a novelty and just a proof of concept. Plus it's a nice thing to have the game early, lets a lot of people practice for the WiiU version which will no doubt be the standard version for play. But again, the premise behind this was "Who wouldn't want to play Smash on the go? The 3DS has amazing games too!" And the WiiU is "Now let's expand Smash 4, make it different, make it HD and the first HD Smash to exist, and put it on the WiiU which is already coasting on consistently solid Mario Kart 8 sales and has momentum going into 2015, plus a ton of critically acclaimed first party games that make longtime fans happy."

The fact that Smash 4 is coming out in 2014 this holiday for the WiiU is SUCH a big deal, they likely planned this from the start. Bundles ahoy, as they say!

Last edited:

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
I think when they were coming up with ideas for smash bros it was obviously for the home console, but when development actually started and the 3ds sold so well nintendo seen a "cash-grab" opportunity and wanted a version for that as well... Sakurai seems like he didn't want to half-heartedly make a smash bros game for the 3ds that would maybe let down fans so made them compatible and ultimately the same game with different specifics. Originally meant for the wiiu but also available on the now well-sold, already-successful 3ds.

BUT the REAL cash-grab in this situation are the amiibos.

Nintendo can grab all of my cash because I'm loving it all though.

Dnae

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0104-2706-5564
I feel like sitting on a couch, playing smash with your friends on a big screen will always be one of the best feelings. Well worth buying a wii U and getting smash 4. I agree that Nintendo released it on the 2 platforms to offer different experiences

Last edited:

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
I would say it's a cash grab in the sense that the 3DS version will come out slightly before the Wii U version. Chances are though, if you are a hardcore smash brothers fan, and you already owned a 3DS then you would probably buy both anyway. I'm really interested to see how many people buy a 3DS just to play smash brothers. It's also not as bad because originally it was looking like the 3DS version was coming out 9-12 months ahead of the Wii U version.

Many games exist on both platforms, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Brothers, 3D Land. Mobile gaming is a big deal and people want to be able to take their games on the go. Whether it is to kill time on a trip or to meet up with some friends at the coffee shop and play some games.

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
I would say it's a cash grab in the sense that the 3DS version will come out slightly before the Wii U version. Chances are though, if you are a hardcore smash brothers fan, and you already owned a 3DS then you would probably buy both anyway. I'm really interested to see how many people buy a 3DS just to play smash brothers. It's also not as bad because originally it was looking like the 3DS version was coming out 9-12 months ahead of the Wii U version.

Many games exist on both platforms, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Brothers, 3D Land. Mobile gaming is a big deal and people want to be able to take their games on the go. Whether it is to kill time on a trip or to meet up with some friends at the coffee shop and play some games.
I bought a 3ds for smash. Lol. Loz one

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
However, for all of those games, it's not the same game released on both consoles. MarioKart 7 on 3DS, but MK 8 on WiiU; New Super Mario Bros. 2 on 3DS, but NSMU on Wii U; and Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS, SM3D World on WiiU. Point is, these games are not the same game just on a different console. Each is optimized for its own. True, mobile gaming is a thing, but so is console gaming. In each of the above cases, the consumer gets either a fully-mobile game or an in-depth console game.

With Smash, we're getting both, and I don't necessarily think that's for the better. I'll take the Ice Climbers as an example again. The 3DS couldn't handle a team of 4 ICs together since at that point, you've got 8 characters on screen, up to 7 of which are all AI. However, the GCN handled that fine in Melee. We're talking about releasing a SSB game on a console that can't handle loads of characters at once, making it less powerful than a home console from 10 years ago.

I understand a lot of people want an on-the-go smash game, and a 3DS smash is great. However, trying to make a WiiU smash and a 3DS smash have the same cast is ridiculous. The 3DS simply can't handle everything that a home console game should have, and it is a waste to release a handheld game on a full HD system. I can look back at the Mario Kart example for this. MK7 on 3DS had 17 characters total, MK8 STARTED with 16, and allowed you to unlock 14 more with a further 6 planned for DLC. Sakurai should have started from the beginning by making a 3DS smash with a small but well liked cast, then devoted his efforts to expanding everything to make a separate SmashU version.

I think it's trying way too hard to get a console game on handhelds, honestly. And it's utterly ridiculous that people are expecting the 3DS to be the same as the WiiU, considering the two consoles are nowhere near each other in terms of processing power. Unfortunately for those of us who WANT a full-power Smash game, Sakurai agrees with the former, so we're going to have to settle for the mobile version on a big screen.

At least the characters won't looks as blocky and derpy as they do on 3DS when we play on WiiU

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
Each is optimized for its own. True, mobile gaming is a thing, but so is console gaming. In each of the above cases, the consumer gets either a fully-mobile game or an in-depth console game.

This is true, but sometimes this is a limitation of the hardware, not the game designers intent. For example, on 3D land, many of the levels were much shorter. The first four worlds were not very "clever" or genius like the second half of the 4 worlds on the 3DS. Where as the Wii U version of 3D land blew me away from the beginning. In other words, 3D land was a "lite" version of the Wii U game. Same with New Super Mario Brothers 2, there is no way that game comes close to the Wii U Version. I typically expect games on the mobile platform to be lite versions of their console counterparts.

I hear what you are saying about the hardware limitations of the 3DS. Trust me, I was pissed to figure out that the reason why the couple of SNES games (Mega Man X Series, Super Metroid) I wanted weren't available on the 3DS was because the ARM processor was too weak to emulate SNES games because of a resolution resizing issue (SNES games are have a taller resolution than the 3DS offers, so the emulator has to shrink the image causing it to skip). Perhaps the "new" 3DS with a faster processor will alleviate some of those issues.

And as for the cash grab, what you're saying actually supports the idea that Smash Brothers is not a cash grab. They built the game to the limits of the 3DS hardware, I'm not sure why you are upset. I'm glad as a 3DS owner that the game packs as much ooomf as it does. I was really impressed with the demo.

If anything, the consumer base is getting ripped off on the hardware. The 3DS hasn't really come down in price over the years, which it should have. Especially form last year to this year. Holiday season 3DS XL's last year were going for $169.99 (sometimes with a game bundled IIRC) , however the hardware now is going for $199 alone. Pretty crazy. Honestly, I think the 3DS and Wii U versions are coming out close enough together that if it really bothered anyone, they could just wait for the Wii U version. On the other hand, if you already own a 3DS for other games , Zelda, Pokemon, or just to have Nintendo games on the go, then I think you would be super stoked to play Smash Brothers on it, even if it doesn't look as good as the Wii U.

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
I suppose the real question is, will Smash Brothers for the 3DS get people to buy a 3DS because the game is certainly worth the $40. Zelda A Link Between Worlds got me to buy a 3DS because it would not be available for any other console, while the Wii U is certainly powerful enough to play the game.

I think that Nintendo wanted to make a cash grab out of this game originally, that is to get people to buy 3DS's by releasing the 3DS version months ahead of the WiiU version. This would practically force the die hard fans to buy a 3DS to play the game and not be months behind the rest of the community.

Being the flake artists that they are, their plan blew up in their face. Now they are in a mad dash to get both games out before the holiday season because they are hurting financially. And why are they hurting financially? Because they can't get their damn games out on time!

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
The way I see it, Nintendo and Sakurai probably don't think the Wii U version needs any additional hype because the Smash Invitational Tournament hyped it up more than enough and absolutely no one has forgotten it to this day.

Especially when you consider moments like this.

In their eyes, the game advertises itself. Everyone knows what it is and everyone knows it's coming (Although not when it's coming since they're being anal about the release date), so there's nothing they need to do until they finally officially reveal the release date.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This is true, but sometimes this is a limitation of the hardware, not the game designers intent. For example, on 3D land, many of the levels were much shorter. The first four worlds were not very "clever" or genius like the second half of the 4 worlds on the 3DS. Where as the Wii U version of 3D land blew me away from the beginning. In other words, 3D land was a "lite" version of the Wii U game. Same with New Super Mario Brothers 2, there is no way that game comes close to the Wii U Version. I typically expect games on the mobile platform to be lite versions of their console counterparts.
True. Unfortunately, SSB43DS is not being billed as "SSB4 lite," but the same game as the WiiU version. Which means that the WiiU version gets to be its own 'lite' since it has to match the 3DS. With all the lite versions, where's the full?

For me, Smash is a console game. I understand that there are loads of people who can't wait for the 3DS version, but I have decided not to get it. For a number of reasons: 1) I like to play local multiplayer with friends, but none of them have 3DSs; 2) I'm rough with my controllers, but the GCN controller has served me since Melee without breaking, as opposed to how fragile the 3DS feels; 3) I lost a lot of hype when the final roster was revealed, so I need to build it back up again and that takes time.

Granted, I haven't played the demo yet, and I will get it when it comes out. But I don't think it'll capture me as much as my first time playing Melee or Brawl did, not the least reason of which is that I'm scared to move the controller for fear of breaking it. I've watched several videos on Youtube of the new Screen KOs (awesome beyond reason) and victory poses, and I'm not impressed by the blocky graphics - they remind me of N64 graphics more than anything I'd expect now - and I feel like there was a lot we're not getting in the 3DS because of technical limitations - wasn't everyone supposed to get their own victory theme, or is it just DP, Bowser, and Rosie that have that honor?

I'm just worried that the WiiU won't be able to show off the console as much as it could, or should be able to. And that will not impress other developers, who will not make WiiU games, so the WiiU won't do well, and then that spirals out of control.

I suppose the real question is, will Smash Brothers for the 3DS get people to buy a 3DS because the game is certainly worth the $40. Zelda A Link Between Worlds got me to buy a 3DS because it would not be available for any other console, while the Wii U is certainly powerful enough to play the game.

I think that Nintendo wanted to make a cash grab out of this game originally, that is to get people to buy 3DS's by releasing the 3DS version months ahead of the WiiU version. This would practically force the die hard fans to buy a 3DS to play the game and not be months behind the rest of the community.

Being the flake artists that they are, their plan blew up in their face. Now they are in a mad dash to get both games out before the holiday season because they are hurting financially. And why are they hurting financially? Because they can't get their damn games out on time!
In re: this point, I don't think the 3DS is the console they need to move. It's nearing the end of it's lifetime, especially since the New 3DS was announced. If SSB4 was exclusive for N3DS, then true, but there are many 3DSs in consumers' hands. The system they need to move is the WiiU since it's newer and didn't do as well as hoped. This sales scheme is going to maximize sales of the 3DS version of the game, but it's really the WiiU console Nintendo needs to sell, and making even a popular game which doesn't show off the most it can do is not going to move product.

Nintendo needs to build hype for the WiiU version to get the console going, but it's going to take a lot to get people to drop $300+ on a Smash game if they don't already have a WiiU. And Sakurai seems to be stuck in that dreamworld where the 3ds is the epitome of gaming, and doesn't feel the need to hype the other version yet. It's not going to blow up in his face because it's Smash, but it is going to cause sales to be lower than they should be.

EDIT: Quotes fail.

Last edited:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai is quickly running out of time to start showing off the Wii U version's exclusive features (Smash Run equivalent mode, etc).

Let's say the Wii U version releases 3 weeks earlier in Japan. That would make it a November 1 release date in Japan if the Wii U version indeed releases internationally on November 21, as multiple credible sources have revealed.

There's only 6 weeks from now until Smash Wii U releases in Japan. And it seems Sakurai doesn't want to show off any new information in the "near future".

If by "near future" he means he'll be waiting until October 3, that gives less than a month to build awareness and hype for any special content that the Wii U version will contain.

This worries me greatly...a month simple isn't enough time to spread awareness and build excitement. Maybe there's truth to the theory that the Wii U version doesn't have any new, significant content other than the extra stages and trophies, and, of course, more music.

I think there's a good chance Sakurai simply ran out of time due to the Holiday 2014 deadline, and wasn't able to finish an equivalent to Smash Run or any other major additions.

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
I can respect the fact that you don't want to get Smash for the 3DS for the reasons mentioned. Although, the videos don't do the game justice, it looks pretty good in 3D, and that was a huge "wow" factor for me. Granted, there are some games that I would never play on a portable system as well.

I'm just worried that the WiiU won't be able to show off the console as much as it could, or should be able to. And that will not impress other developers, who will not make WiiU games, so the WiiU won't do well, and then that spirals out of control.
I disagree with this notion for two reasons. 1. I think that the game will look a whole lot better on the Wii U and will not be confined to the 3DS limitation of graphics. 2. The reason why 3rd party developers left Nintendo is that it's a pain in the ass to develop for Nintendo.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ion-of-why-third-parties-have-left-the-wii-u/
http://wiiudaily.com/2014/03/wii-u-third-party-publishers/
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Brya...arty_Support_is_Much_Worse_Than_You_Think.php

The system they need to move is the WiiU since it's newer and didn't do as well as hoped. This sales scheme is going to maximize sales of the 3DS version of the game, but it's really the WiiU console Nintendo needs to sell, and making even a popular game which doesn't show off the most it can do is not going to move product.
What killed the Wii U was a lack of the franchise games coming out. The Wii U came out in 2012 and I didn't find a reason to buy it until Mario Kart 8 came out. Truthfully, I bought it a little before to get in on the Mario games prior. But I didn't by one until 2014. A lot of people held out the same as I did. Most of my friends got the Wii U around the same time. Because, what is a Nintendo console really ... ? It's the franchise games, such as Mario Kart 8 , Smash Brothers, and so on ... It's the games that don't have the best graphics, but you play with for hours on end with your friends because their are inventive, fun, and designed to be played with 4 people.

Look at the release dates of these games in relation to when the Wii U came out.

Wii U - November 18, 2012
New Super Mario Bros 2 - Release day game
Windwaker HD Remake - September 20, 2013 (Which is a remake no less)
Super Mario 3D World - November 22, 2013
Mario Kart 8 - May 30, 2014
Smash Brothers - TBD
Zelda - TBD
Mario Party - Is this game even coming out?

Hyrule Warriors is not a Zelda game. I can't even remember any other exclusives in between. In other words, there hasn't been much reason to buy a Wii U since it came out over 2 years ago to begin with. Now the value proposition looks more appealing, but not too much better.

Furthermore, once they announce a date for the Wii U , I'm pretty sure they are going to hype the crap out of it as they have now. Nintendo is focusing all of their marketing strength on the 3DS version because that's the one they could deliver to the market first. I bet you $5 Nintendo knows when they can release the Wii U version, but they won't announce the date because it will deter people from buying the 3DS version. They'll say, "Oh I can wait that long". They may even be delaying the release so they can milk the 3DS sales like I had mentioned before. But I'm 100% certain they are going to hype the crap out of the Wii U version because it's not just a $300 console you're buying, it's the other 3 controllers and god knows how many other accessories you will need to play the game. They stand to make a lot of money from people buying accessories and the such, way more profit potential than the 3DS could ever dream of!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
You have some good points, and I certainly hope you're right. I guess I'm just nervous about what's to come, since after the last time, I don't want my hype to run away with me again. Form the screenshots Nintendo posted, they are doing great things with the graphics on the WiiU, so I'm not concerned about that. My biggest fear is that the game will be limited in terms of processing - I'll call the ICs back here - in that they've been making decisions on certain characters or moves because of the 3DS. I'm wondering if the 'no transformations' rule has anything to do with that, since it worked fine in Melee, but the disc was at the high end of the Wii's capability in Brawl, so the transformations were not working as planned since the new character data had to load, it couldn't stay in memory.

Once a date is announced, I do hope they hype it up. Again, I'm just getting nervous that they're running out of time if the game is set to release before the holiday shopping craze. But while "New Smash Bros on Console" hypes it up enough already, the character reveal and then the latest announcements did kill a lot of that hype, since the speculation and finding out which characters are in or not is a decent amout of the hype. DLC would definitely help here, even if we just got a confirmation that yes, there will be DLC eventually.

Furthermore, once they announce a date for the Wii U , I'm pretty sure they are going to hype the crap out of it as they have now. Nintendo is focusing all of their marketing strength on the 3DS version because that's the one they could deliver to the market first. I bet you $5 Nintendo knows when they can release the Wii U version, but they won't announce the date because it will deter people from buying the 3DS version. They'll say, "Oh I can wait that long". They may even be delaying the release so they can milk the 3DS sales like I had mentioned before. But I'm 100% certain they are going to hype the crap out of the Wii U version because it's not just a $300 console you're buying, it's the other 3 controllers and god knows how many other accessories you will need to play the game. They stand to make a lot of money from people buying accessories and the such, way more profit potential than the 3DS could ever dream of!
All true, and I'll admit I hadn't thought about it this way. I'd forgotten the Amiibos don't work with 3DS too...yet. Your plan does sound like the best way of maximizing profits, I just hope they don't run out of time since the 3DS was supposed to come in the summer so there'd be a few months to ready the WiiU, not just one or two. But then again, Nintendo and especially Sakurai have been very hard to read as of late, which may be problematic for them.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
Look at the release dates of these games in relation to when the Wii U came out.

Smash Brothers - TBD
Zelda - TBD

Hyrule Warriors is not a Zelda game. I can't even remember any other exclusives in between. In other words, there hasn't been much reason to buy a Wii U since it came out over 2 years ago to begin with. Now the value proposition looks more appealing, but not too much better.
You're forgetting Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Country : Tropical Freeze, Nintendo Land, and other games such as Wonderful 101, ZombiU, Project Zero and Bayonetta 2 which are exclusive and count just as much. Hyrule Warriors is still a Zelda fanservice game and exclusive.
It had a slow start but it's really starting to pick up. I think the real thing that killed the Wii U was poor marketing and most of all the worst name you could think of if you wanted sales.

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Once a date is announced, I do hope they hype it up. Again, I'm just getting nervous that they're running out of time if the game is set to release before the holiday shopping craze. But while "New Smash Bros on Console" hypes it up enough already, the character reveal and then the latest announcements did kill a lot of that hype, since the speculation and finding out which characters are in or not is a decent amout of the hype. DLC would definitely help here, even if we just got a confirmation that yes, there will be DLC eventually.
You're also forgetting that the general internet speculation community is only a portion of the hype, and our hyper-aggressive crybaby antics an even smaller portion still. This game will sell well on release, no doubt, but it'll mostly be built on the hype from e3, and the holiday consumer market. Pac Man, Sonic and Mario on a cover is going to do a lot more than people around here give it credit for.

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
I am very disappointed in Sm4sh in general for several reasons and I'll try to only state reasons related to this thread. OK, the 3DS version is nothing but a cash grab for there is no other excuse for it. Smash Brothers is a system seller! How many people didn't buy Gamecubes and Wiis until Melee and Brawl? I did! Making a 3DS version was a **** move and they should not have done it. I recently picked up Ice Climbers and I spent a lot of time learning their game. And then I learn the Ice Climbers have been cut solely because of the limitations of the 3DS!! A huge slap in the face! I also don't like the separation of Zelda/shiek and samus/zero suit samus. If I find conformation that the 3DS is the reason for that, i'll be even MORE disappointed. I don't think I want to purchase the 3DS version of this game and support this crazy endeavor.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
This is the type of response I expect people to say not diminish the competitive community because honestly? Those people dont make the smash 4 community look good. And that is a big problem as one of the reasons I stuck with melee so long is it has a great and friendly community even though people constantly get salty over losing lol the problematic players were always forced to reform into being friendly to others. I cant see the same happening with smash 4 and its community.
Half the reason this website and websites like it exist is because of the competitive community.

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread of people that obviously own either a Wii U or a 3DS and automatically seem biased because they own one or the other. "Smash has always been on a console and console only"....ok well what other handheld were they supposed to make one on? Game boy advance? They have the capability to do it now and pulled it off. Someone else also said the 3DS is aimed at the younger audience. I have several friends my age or near my age that have one.

Last edited:

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
I can respect the fact that you don't want to get Smash for the 3DS for the reasons mentioned. Although, the videos don't do the game justice, it looks pretty good in 3D, and that was a huge "wow" factor for me. Granted, there are some games that I would never play on a portable system as well.

I disagree with this notion for two reasons. 1. I think that the game will look a whole lot better on the Wii U and will not be confined to the 3DS limitation of graphics. 2. The reason why 3rd party developers left Nintendo is that it's a pain in the *** to develop for Nintendo.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...ion-of-why-third-parties-have-left-the-wii-u/
http://wiiudaily.com/2014/03/wii-u-third-party-publishers/
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Brya...arty_Support_is_Much_Worse_Than_You_Think.php

What killed the Wii U was a lack of the franchise games coming out. The Wii U came out in 2012 and I didn't find a reason to buy it until Mario Kart 8 came out. Truthfully, I bought it a little before to get in on the Mario games prior. But I didn't by one until 2014. A lot of people held out the same as I did. Most of my friends got the Wii U around the same time. Because, what is a Nintendo console really ... ? It's the franchise games, such as Mario Kart 8 , Smash Brothers, and so on ... It's the games that don't have the best graphics, but you play with for hours on end with your friends because their are inventive, fun, and designed to be played with 4 people.

Smash Brothers - TBD
Zelda - TBD

You left out so many games that are out already as well. What about Pikmin 3? Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze? There's also the lesser popular ones like Monster Hunter 3, Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost Worlds. And there's a TON more coming then that. For example Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad , Yoshi's wooly world, Xenoblade, Splatoon, Starfox U, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Mario Maker, Mario Party 10, and Zelda U ( which u mentioned ). Also Pokken tournament which I assume will come to Wii U

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
You left out so many games that are out already as well. What about Pikmin 3? Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze? There's also the lesser popular ones like Monster Hunter 3, Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost Worlds. And there's a TON more coming then that. For example Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad , Yoshi's wooly world, Xenoblade, Splatoon, Starfox U, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Mario Maker, Mario Party 10, and Zelda U ( which u mentioned ). Also Pokken tournament which I assume will come to Wii U
A lot of those games aren't out yet, and the ones that were out didn't inspire many people to drop over $350 + controllers on a new console. Not to mention the Wii U was more expensive the day it came out!

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Mario Kart 8 is a console mover. Pikmin 3 is not. The WiiU won't have any huge games without a mobile equivalent until Zelda U.

supersmasher

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2212-8762
Mario Kart 8 is a console mover. Pikmin 3 is not. The WiiU won't have any huge games without a mobile equivalent until Zelda U.
I think Smash Brothers will move consoles. Definitely move controllers! LOL

The hype for Bayonetta 2 disagrees with you.
I haven't even heard of that game

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Is the true version of Smash 4, which isn't even out yet for anyone to play, nor do we know much about it, a cash grab?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Can I get a source on this whole "Sakurai only wanted to do the 3DS version" thing? It seems very odd that the whole series would be console exclusive & then he goes "Y'know what, I want to do a handheld only version now".

JonoLFC

Smash Rookie
3DS Version: To sell copies of the game.
Wii U Version: To sell consoles.

Top Bottom