• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the Waluigi love genuine?

Is the Waluigi love Genuine?

• Nope, it’s just a meme

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Yes, I love Waluigi!

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMY**

Smash Rookie
Or is it just a meme? I swear I had never heard anyone say “I love Waluigi” before all of this. How many of you can truthfully say “Waluigi is my favorite character?”

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Or is it just a meme? I swear I had never heard anyone say “I love Waluigi” before all of this. How many of you can truthfully say “Waluigi is my favorite character?”

I genuinely don't care about Waluigi and care more about Ganondorf having a moveset that accurately represents him than having Waluigi in Super Smash Bros. The Waluigi love is likely from a very vocal minority.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I’m sure some of it is. We saw a similar situation when he was posted as an assist trophy on Smash 4’s Miiverse. But then people are still gonna try to stir the pot.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
My brother tells me that former notable member of the Achivement Hunter cast, Ray, has a genuine love for Waluigi, like he's his favorite Mario character or something. I know I've seen many other people in discussions say that they actually like the character and think he'd be an interesting fighter. So it's wrong to say that every Waluigi supporter is just doing so as a joke. After all, Daisy has a genuine following as well, despite not having much significance besides the side games.

But the power of memes is almost always way larger. Don't forget that there were/are countless people advocating for characters like Shrek to be in Smash, too. Most of the Waluigi support seems to be in a similar vein. You don't see as many reasonable posts with people's arguments for why Waluigi should be playable as you do people just going "WAAAH" because they think it's funny. At the end of the day, most of the public just wants him in because he's a weird character that's become a meme and that's it.

No one's going to write thousands of words about how long they've waited/fought for Waluigi's inclusion like some people did for Ridley. The character's only significance was to be Wario's tennis partner. A number of people may genuinely like him, but he has nowhere near the honest emotional connection of just about every other requested character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In games where they're both playable I usually play Waluigi if Luigi is taken. So I like the character, just I'm not gonna sit here and go crazy like a bunch of other people are. I'd like to see him in I think he'd have a different moveset. But, no-biggie.

Godbrother11225

Smash Apprentice
I do believe waluigi is genuinely liked by the current younger audience that grew up on GC/WII era. but he used to be unpopular and heavily ridiculed by the nintendo/smash bros community for being filler, and having no unique character traits compared to Wario. Have you seen what he's doing in the latest mario tennis? lol It took Nintendo over a decade to give him his own personality.

For me it's hard to read. but his meme status was because of online comics, and gmod youtube videos from 2011.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
For me it's just the meme. But I'm not like those annoying Waluigi fans. i could care less if he get's in.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Probably a mix of both, it is fun to joke about and it becoming true would be a bonus, although not something I care that much about.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'm sincerely fond of Waluigi as a character. He's a cunning, scheming villain that isn't afraid to play dirty, and is such a tremendous loser he's spiteful towards everyone, even Luigi. I love to play as him in many spin offs because, not only do I dig his design and his color scheme, but it feels nice to play as the complete asshole of the group and really brings out the inner troll in me. In addition, the fact that he constantly gets the short end of the stick not only makes for some hilarious scenes, but it paints him in a bit of a sympathetic light. That, plus his unlikeable nature, make him kind of a relatable character in general.

As such, I think he definitely deserves a shot at starring in his own game, even if he has to co-star with Wario. I feel like there's a lot of potential to the character that a lot of people, Nintendo included, fail to notice and really try to make use of.

That said, I don't particularly care if he makes it in Smash. Now that nearly every character I've ever wanted in Smash are in, I would not mind to see the lean mean purple machine in the fray, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if that doesn't happen.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Waluigi is legimately one of my four favorite Mario characters in general, alongside Mario, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong. He's, ironically enough considering hes only been in spin offs, one of the most well-established Mario characters personality-wise.

I'm an unabashed Waluigi fan and I'll never apologize for that.

EMY**

Smash Rookie
Waluigi is legimately one of my four favorite Mario characters in general, alongside Mario, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong. He's, ironically enough considering hes only been in spin offs, one of the most well-established Mario characters personality-wise.

you like Waluigi more than you like Luigi himself? Lol

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Waluigi is a funny character, but a majority of his supporters weren't genuine. Honestly, Opossum Opossum is one of the two or three people on SmashBoards I came across who seemed to take Waluigi as a character in Smash seriously.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Honestly, Waluigi's my favorite Mario Character but just because the Memes. but ya can'

Honestly, me too. Part of my Love for the Wah is the memes, but he's also an interesting character by himself.

(I'm legit repating myself xD)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Any character created before a meme was made of them are not a "meme character". They're a popular character that had characterizations or actions that some took notice of and created a meme around it.

Also, it doesn't matter if they like the character for their actions, or the memes centered around it. They're genuine fans because they ultimately like what they see. We're not going to play No True Scotsman here and we're going to respect people being fans of something, even if you're not.

And that's why this thread will be closed. It's attempting to make it sound like people aren't genuine fans of something, and that's not cool. Of course they are. They like what they see. That's enough to be a genuine fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom