• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the tournament scene actually good outside the USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
I was wondering if the tournament scene is actually active and diffused even outside the USA (and probably Japan as well).

Here in Italy is somewhat nonexistent, the last "important" tournament was something like ~10 months ago and all the others tournaments I heard were basically always organized in the same 4/5 cities.
Not to mention they had their own rules like the Duck Hunt's stage banned because some people complained about it...

So here basically there isn't any tournament, but the situation is so bad even in others states?

Moshilam

Smash Cadet
East of the UK sucks. No smash 4 tournaments anywhere. FeelsBadMan. Atleast Wii U has tourney mode so i can get salty over that instead.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
The European scene is good. There are large nationals that do happen in Europe like Dreamhack. The UK however will be most likely the active scene in EU as of right now. There are noticeable tournaments like Kickstart, Beast, Heir, etc. It is not really as bad... as long as the Smash scene is active then it is good outside of the states.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Even the USA isn't great state to state. AZ is woefully lacking in anything, even minor events or regular groups of players that get together.

PaulNerdFish

Smash Rookie
Hi Acker, I'm an italian smasher too.
Actually the last national tournament was on 19th December 2015 at Pisa. And recently we have been thinking of reintroducing Duck Hunt stage. Next national is the 23-24 April 2016 at Bologna.
I don't know why I'm replying in english if you are italian lol

EDIT: wrong month

Last edited:

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
Hi Acker, I'm an italian smasher too.
Actually the last national tournament was on 19th December 2015 at Pisa. And recently we have been thinking of reintroducing Duck Hunt stage. Next national is the 23-24 May 2016 at Bologna.
I don't know why I'm replying in english if you are italian lol
Well, that's an english forum after all :p
Happy to see more tournaments in Italy but I still wish there were more often and more diffused, because the "always organized in the same 4/5 cities" still true sadly :/

PaulNerdFish

Smash Rookie
In 2015 there were 3 major events: Icarus (Bologna, May), The Colosseum (Rome, October) and ToSmash (Pisa, December). I know we're in a lower level, no foreign player haven't come to Italy yet and few italian players go outside our nation to compete.

National or international tournaments are of course in the same cities to let everybody come from all over Italy. But there are many monthlies/weeklies in some regions: weekly in Sicily and Lombardy, monthly in Ligury, Campania, Sardinia and Apulia, these are the ones I know.

If you're looking for tournaments, Italian most active portal is on facebook. Are you there?

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
East of the UK sucks. No smash 4 tournaments anywhere. FeelsBadMan. Atleast Wii U has tourney mode so i can get salty over that instead.
Pretty much the entire North area is bad if you're anything but a Melee fan. Nothing wrong with that but it'd be nice for diversity in the local scenes around here. Shame too since most of Europe is pretty fond of Smash, though this might have something to do with how places like France and Germany actually give a damn about Nintendo, something the UK never really has.

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
In 2015 there were 3 major events: Icarus (Bologna, May), The Colosseum (Rome, October) and ToSmash (Pisa, December). I know we're in a lower level, no foreign player haven't come to Italy yet and few italian players go outside our nation to compete.

National or international tournaments are of course in the same cities to let everybody come from all over Italy. But there are many monthlies/weeklies in some regions: weekly in Sicily and Lombardy, monthly in Ligury, Campania, Sardinia and Apulia, these are the ones I know.

If you're looking for tournaments, Italian most active portal is on facebook. Are you there?
No, I'm not on Facebook but I can make an account if you can find an actual active tournament scene for the Friuli Venezia Giulia, because at the moment I don't really have the means necessary for doing long trips just for a Smash tournament.

Shame too since most of Europe is pretty fond of Smash, though this might have something to do with how places like France and Germany actually give a damn about Nintendo
That's true even for Italy, sadly. I meet very few people that play something Nintendo and, for example, I'm the only one in my school class that play on a Nintendo console and that's bother me not only because of this but also because some of my class mates thinks that Nintendo is only Mario and Pokémon and this two are just "Child games"...

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Third Italian smasher here! Unfortunately, yeah, our scene is poor. The last placement we had outside Italy was at Cannes Winter Clash at 33rd iirc. And yesterday a guy from a foreign country (Arabia I think?) completely destroyed some of our better players in a tournament. But we are working hard to get better and maybe have a national ranking.

AFAIK the best European scenes are Germany and Netherlands. Dunno about other continents.

PaulNerdFish

Smash Rookie
No, I'm not on Facebook but I can make an account if you can find an actual active tournament scene for the Friuli Venezia Giulia, because at the moment I don't really have the means necessary for doing long trips just for a Smash tournament.
Unfortunately I have a friend in Friuli and he says there's no actual tournament. Sometimes in a videogame store they make some meeting, that's it.

Third Italian smasher here! Unfortunately, yeah, our scene is poor. The last placement we had outside Italy was at Cannes Winter Clash at 33rd iirc. And yesterday a guy from a foreign country (Arabia I think?) completely destroyed some of our better players in a tournament. But we are working hard to get better and maybe have a national ranking.

AFAIK the best European scenes are Germany and Netherlands. Dunno about other continents.
I was too at CWC and I got even lower, fourth in my pool, my b.
Yes, Rust is 25th ranked player from Arabia Saudita that won this month ligurian regional

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
That's kind of the nature of video game tournaments; video games are at an all time high, but actual serious competitive play is still a bit of a niche activity and you can't expect it to be consistently represented everywhere. In Canada (where I'm from), there actually is a fairly thriving West Coast scene, and I know that Montreal has one as well, but I suspect if I went over to Saskatchewan things would be pretty dead. That's just kind of the name of the game. You could always try and start your own!

SmashBuster

Smash Rookie
NNID
SmashBustr
That's kind of the nature of video game tournaments; video games are at an all time high, but actual serious competitive play is still a bit of a niche activity and you can't expect it to be consistently represented everywhere. In Canada (where I'm from), there actually is a fairly thriving West Coast scene, and I know that Montreal has one as well, but I suspect if I went over to Saskatchewan things would be pretty dead. That's just kind of the name of the game. You could always try and start your own!
There is actually a tournament Scene in Saskatchewan and lots of good players. Regina holds many tournaments and Saskatoon as well. I am a part of the tournament scene there. It is pretty hype! ;)

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
There is actually a tournament Scene in Saskatchewan and lots of good players. Regina holds many tournaments and Saskatoon as well. I am a part of the tournament scene there. It is pretty hype! ;)
Huh. I never, ever would have placed money on Saskatchewan having a Smash scene. Hell, Victoria barely has one, and we've got a million freaking people here. Good to know :p

PrimeTF

Banned via Warnings
I saw someone say that EU Smash scene is terrible because of TOs overreacting, but I'd say the real problem is Twitter. If Smash didn't use Twitter like a sellout, you wouldn't have as much staff acting like children over being offended.

On a side note, F U Leffen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom