• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Is the Pro Controller a Viable Option?

_gold_

Smash Master
I've been using the GC controller since Melee, and it has never disappointed me. Although, dealing with wires can get a bit cumbersome and the Wavebird is laggy. I'm looking at the Pro Controller. I've used it a couple of times, and it felt a little weird. But that's the case with anything. Is the Pro Controller a good option as a controller?

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I use it, and it's pretty good. However if your hands get sweaty when you play, it may not be the controller you want. It's a very slick controller as it is, so if your hands sweat, it could be troublesome. That being said, I've seen a lot of players say they LOVE it, and prefer it over the GCC. If you plan on going to in person tournys, you'll have a problem finding one that allows the pro.

In the end, it really is just preference. I haven't played since melee, and so I lost my muscle memory of the GCC. I couldn't find any GCC adapters at any local stores, so I picked up the pro. Like I said, I like it, but I do have sweaty hands, and it can cost me a game sometimes. I'll be tempted to switch to the GCC if I ever find a adapter.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I use the Wii U Pro Controller and it's amazing! It's sleek, the buttons and sticks are all in the perfect places. It's great! Especially if you want to go cordless!

Kwinston

Smash Cadet
NNID
KWINSTON
I use to use pro Controller until I found a GC adapter for cheap. From my experience with the Pro Controller I can confirm that it is a viable option and does not give you a disadvantage in any way when compared to the gamecube controller. Honestly, the only reason you would want to use the GC controller over the Pro Controller is where you prefer your C-stick to be. If you don't use C-stick then great! It shouldn't matter then!

IrkenPPG

Smash Cadet
Get the Nyko Pro Commander, it's better and basically a 360 controller clone. But yeah GameCube controller still number one

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I use it, and it's pretty good. However if your hands get sweaty when you play, it may not be the controller you want. It's a very slick controller as it is, so if your hands sweat, it could be troublesome.
Just buy a rubber skin for it. That what I did for mine. Solves all the glossy finish is slick problems. And most tourneys allow the pro and skins from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Mikey Da Bawse

Smash Cadet
NNID
MikeyDaBawse
3DS FC
5129-1447-8505
Locally the #1 player uses a pro controller so it must not affect gameplay too much.

I've personally tried, and to me it looks like an Xbox 360 controller and felt several types of wrong using it for Smash.

I'll go GC controller, 3ds, and even a wiimote before I try a pro controller again.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Locally the #1 player uses a pro controller so it must not affect gameplay too much.

I've personally tried, and to me it looks like an Xbox 360 controller and felt several types of wrong using it for Smash.

I'll go GC controller, 3ds, and even a wiimote before I try a pro controller again.
I've spent a ton of time on both. Shoulder buttons are more responsive on the Pro as they are thinner making grabbing/shielding easier in my opinion. I do like the joystick on the GC controller better though, make tilts less likely to be misinputted because it's stiffer. I feel the Pro is more ergonomic though, definitely more comfortable over long sessions. I think both are just fine for smash, just comes down to personal preference and how much you're willing to put up with dealing with the syncing and unsyncing of a wireless controller at tournaments.

I guess I'd say GC is slightly better for performance because the joystick is less prone to missed inputs, but man I love how comfortable the Pro is. The GC will sometimes give me wrist pain, the Pro never does.

Last edited:

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I used the Pro for a few months since the adapter was scarce at retail value. I will say that the Pro may feel quite uncomfortable at first due to the ABXY button placement being quite low and inward, and the C-Stick is above, which is parallel with the left analog. The triggers are digital press and feel a bit weird as well. It's a perfectly good controller once you get used to it! I usually use the Pro when I am lazy to get up and want to play from my bed. I can dual-play the GCC and Pro and my skill level is about the same. I usually use the GCC though since I like reserving my Pro for other games. Plus the material on it can get kinda nasty when you play for awhile. When dust builds on it, I just cannot find myself touching it since it just feels so nasty lol. The GCC doesn't have this problem. I do not have to clean my GCC as much as the Pro. The Pro is a worthy purchase in my eyes.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I use the GamePad, then tried the Pro Controller and found out that the buttons spacing is different and I couldn't play properly :( but I doubt you'll have an issue switching from GC to Pro Controller.

D

Deleted member 269706

Very much so. That Little Mac player Sol uses the Pro controller, and him and Ryo were tearing it up at CEO 2015 doubles. It all comes down to preference at the end of the day.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I'll echo Pale Tuna and say that the first couple times I used the pro controller it took some getting used to. Even now I have a hard time using the c-stick with the pro controller (not near as much of a problem with the gamepad even though the layout is similar) so there is that to consider.

TheSuperiorOne

Smash Cadet
I use it and I don't see how the GC controller could possibly be better tbh. The C-stick right about x and y is better IMO. It allows for extremely quick and easy uairs.

Guillaume1987

Smash Cadet
I have been playing Smash ever since smash64. The gamecube controller was the only way I could play smash from melee and it's futur iterations. It just felt so right.

When the smash demo launched last year, I played it a lot, but the 3ds controllerfelt just wrong. I never really was able to enjoy smash 4 up until smash wiiu launched with the gc adapter.

I thought I would never change controller, but about 2 months ago I started using the pro controller on and off, and started playing more smash 3ds. The pro controller and 3ds felt less and less wrong in my hands to the point where I would never go back to the gc controller.

I even went to a local tournament saturday using my 3ds as a controller and did very good!

So yeah, I would definitely say that the pro controller and 3ds controller are viable for competitive play. You just need your brain brain and muscle memory to rewire themselves to the new button layout.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I only wish that they had a wired Pro controller to use with the Gamecube controller port. I love the Pro, and wish I didn't have to worry about desyncing the controller when finished. The GCN controller was great when I was younger, but as an adult with large hands it hurts! Hand cramps rampant for me.

My daughter loves the GCN controller, as it's smaller and she can easily reach all the buttons on it with her 6 year old hands.

ynglink

Smash Rookie
NNID
ynglink
From a player who started with Smash 64, I'd say that between the 2 controllers (GCN and Pro) that I do prefer the GCN controller. That being said, it can be quite difficult to find the adapters and a quality GCN controller now. My experience with the third party variants have been awful. Several button problems, thumbsticks tearing up too quickly or sticking, triggers aren't as sensitive, etc.

The Pro controller works fine but is a little awkward for the first couple games. If you play on different consoles all the time (for example Xbox - PS - Wii) then the controller isn't that hard to get use to. It is well built for sure and the hardest thing for me to adapt to is some small button layouts and that's it. I never really used the C-Stick for smash attacks like a lot of people have, so that didn't really take any time for me to adapt. With the new button options though, I have C-Stick (or R thumbstick in the Pro case) set to do Tilts. That's about the most I've had to adapt in this case.

Would I recommend the Pro Controller then? Yes, especially against any Third Party GCN controllers.

Top Bottom