• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the first character you wanted to try out living to the hype?

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
We all have that one character we couldnt wait to try out and potientally main. Mine was Greninja and it is difficult to get a handle of him, but I am super impressed and I will continue with him for sure. Do you feel the same with the character you wanted to try out first? Or did you feel disappointed? Will you continue trying out that character?

I also have more Greninja impressions as I take him online in the video below

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Greninja was also one of the characters that I was dying to try personally, and he doesn't disappoint! The majority of those that I was hyped to try are ones I'll continue to use frequently I think, except for maybe Pac-Man, who I just can't a handle on.

GoldWindRequiem

Smash Cadet
NNID
RicochetRocket
I was most excited for the third-party newcomers, Pac-Man and Mega Man. I instantly fell in love with using Pac, but Mega took some time for me to get a hang of. I eventually became well acquainted with the both of them.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I was most excited for the third-party newcomers, Pac-Man and Mega Man. I instantly fell in love with using Pac, but Mega took some time for me to get a hang of. I eventually became well acquainted with the both of them.
i agree, megaman is a very different character. Neutral a being the pellets always take me by surprise

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Mega Man is fun and all but he just isn't my style. Really glad he feels straight out of his games though.

Greninja was next and I enjoy him.

Pac-Man came afterward and I freaking love Pac-Man so much.

Rosalina and Luma was the first one I really played on Wii U and I am finally warming up to her

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I was super hyped for Mega Man not that I'm disappointed but he's gonna take some time to get good with.

Bowser Jr. Is living up to the hype. It's so much fun to play and has an amazing aresenal of moves. What a great addition and rep from the Mario Franchise.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I still occasionally mess up with his tomes/Levin Sword getting used up at the wrong moment, but Robin is definitely fun to play. I rely on Dash attacks with a lot of my other mains though, so his rather underwhelming dash combined with low speed is less than ideal.

Neither Greninja nor Mega Man clicked for me quite as well as I hoped, but I'm learning Greninja much better now. At some point, I'll probably give Mega Man another shot too, but I don't see him being a new main.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Megaman was my most hyped newcomer... Let me just say when he was in the demo of Smash 3DS it made me so happy... Then when I played as him I was SO happy with his moveset. And wanna know the best part? I can play with him pretty well. (I blame megaman 2 and 3 for making me so good at his playstyle.)

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Mega Man was the first newcomer I wanted to try out and I was ecstatic when I found out you could play him in the demo. After I played a few rounds with my old main (Mario) I went straight to Mega Man and...didn't really feel him.

I tried a few more times playing a bit more passive and not throwing out smashes all the time like I do with Mario, which worked out beautifully. I can safely say my new playstyle with Mega Man helped me get better not only with the Blue Bomber, but also the entire cast when I realized I have more options available to me.

He's currently one of my sub-mains along with Robin, both of which back up my Shulk.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Villager was probably my most hyped newcomer and after the 3ds demo I just couldn't get the hang of him. Switched over to megaman but have trouble with his side b and no customs in online play. Pac-man's been awesome though.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, dark pit was my present surprise this go around. Like the electroshock glove so much more than pit's upperdash.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Robin didn't disappoint, but she totally isn't my thing. She is far too slow for my tastes.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Being the Mega Man fanatic I am, it was a no-brainer that I'd go straight for him. I loved his playstyle since the start, though he certainly wasn't as pick-up-and-play as I expected. Two months later after the demo though, he's definitely worthy of being my main and I'm going to keep working with him.

Also I still enjoy Sonic. He's as fun as ever and I was overjoyed to see he's improved a lot.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
The character I wanted to try once we got the game was Duck Hunt and he didn't disappoint. I played one round of Wii Fit Trainer against my brother as Pac-Man and grew into her. Then I played as Iggy vs. Little Mac and loved him. Sadly DeDeDe is a lot worst than brawl and has hard to play.

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
Shulk, Robin, and Greninja. I haven't really used Shulk or Greninja much since i've been getting back into the groove of my main, Pit. But I have been kinda working with Robin and while i'm not that good with him i'm looking to get better. A very different platstyle indeed, but an interesting one.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I was really hyped to try Wii Fit Trainer. Her fighting style looked really cool, and since she was getting ranked pretty low tier on 3ds, I just thought "oh, well that will make it more of a challenge, she still looks awesome".
But then when I actually started trying to play with her, it just didn't really work all that well. Biggest problem for me is that almost all of her air attacks hit high, so they will miss if you try to attack with a short hop. The only exception is really her d-air which is a stomp, and kinda hard to time right. So there isn't really much potential for getting into a combo from a short hop. And then her side-b move is a really worthless projectile. Not only is it really slow coming out, but the angle of it makes it really hard to hit the opponent even if you are trying to aim at them. Then, her U-smash pretty much just goes straight up, not hitting the sides at all, like most other characters. I could go on and on... so many problems with this character, and she just wasn't nearly as fun as I had imagined.
But, then I tried Mario, and he's pretty hype.

Last edited:

Skellyton

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3394-3585-8917
I was super hyped for ZSS but i had a lot of trouble killing with her, so i switched to Greninja who i loved. Then the patch hit and i was having a lot trouble with greninja so i switched back to ZSS since she got buffed. Jigglypuff has always been great for me though

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
Shulk majorly surpassed any expectations I had. He was an instant main on day 1 of Smash 3DS and it carried over well for me on Smash Wii U. Shulk amazed me so much, I went out and bought his game, Xenoblade Chronicles, and I am enjoying so very much. I definitely look forward to playing more Shulk on Smash U, but I don't feel like I'm ready yet, but that's my problem, not Shulk's.

R0Y

Smash Master
Palutena is underpowered :'(

My second, Rosalina is above and beyond powerful though.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I was hoping Samus and Greninja would be good, but both gave me iffy results.

Samus still feels a little lackluster with projectiles and close combat. Doesn't help the feeling her suitless version is still quite a distance better than her, but I really don't want to go down that road.

Greninja may seem too awkward to play with. Really don't like how his Smash Attacks work and it doesn't help Up-Smash was nerf a bit. And I really don't like his wonky recovery. Even more weird that they nerf the other effects of it as well, so I question if it'll ever touch this character seriously again.

Little Mac lives up to the hype very well, but too many novice players devalue his nature pretty hard and he's easily gg if you're anywhere outside of the ring. And I'm slowly not liking the idea of playing any matches that are generally not Omega'd nor stationary.

But I picked up on Yoshi and Bowser and holy cow are these two fun. Later last month, I started using Yoshi in single player and proceed to just use him afterward. He just feels really fun with his eggs, ground and aerial game. Even with "suicide-priority nerf" this patch, I find Bowser a beast with most of his attacks and still quite a surprise hitter for group plays.

So the expected became bland and the unexpected became even more unexpected.

Bendezium Dweevil

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2122-7123-8170
Duck Hunt and Robin exceeded all expectations (which admittedly I had 0 for Duck Hunt but now he's my 2nd favorite). Oh, and drop kick Bowser is my God. Greninja took some warming up, but I'm getting used to him.

Last edited:

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
As expected, Mario, Luigi, (Sort of) Dr. Mario, and Wario feel pretty smooth with me like they did in the 3DS version.

I originally wanted to give Robin a go when the 3DS version first came out, but his style really didn't click well with me.

VegaPunk

Smash Rookie
Im waiting to find out how Shulk feels, European here. I love his range and DAT COUNTER ERMAGERD

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Robin and Wii Fit trainer didn't disappoint! I wanted to try Greninja but he seems very difficult.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
It was Robin for me. I tried to main him for a few weeks, but I just couldn't. My play style is too aggressive, and Robin's potential is in his projectiles. I ended up maining Fox since he was my second-best in Brawl and Metaknight got nerfed. I still second Robin though, and he's definitely the most unique character out of all the newcomers in my opinion.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
The character I was most excited to try was Megaman and honestly I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love how faithful it is to the games, but he's just not really my playstyle. Greninja was another one I was hyped about when I saw the reveal trailer, even having never played X or Y at the time, simply because his playstyle looked like a lot of fun. As you can clearly tell by the avatar and mains on my profile I was not disappointed with him.

Last edited:

phoenixairs

Smash Rookie
Robin has an unfamiliar play-style, but I think Sakurai nailed his character. Flexible jack-of-all-trades that doesn't excel at anything, careful (tactical) approaches rather than blindly rushing forward, counting move usage just like in Fire Emblem... Robin feels like it takes more thinking that other characters, which I enjoy.

Also, tomes breaking isn't a temporary debuff, it's a one-use kill-shot :D

ecaflip

Smash Cadet
I was expecting meta knight to be alot worse off than I imagined. I was pleasantly surprised he's a usable character.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
my 2 most hyped characters where Megaman and Robin thanks to the 3ds demo i got the hang of megaman and became really good with him. Robin just feels off to me he's a mix attacker but I just can't get the hang of him.

3 characters that i didn't really care for but end up really liking was Samus, G&W, wand R.O.B man they just feel so good in this game.

JusticeColde

Smash Cadet
NNID
JusticeColde
Little Mac and then Mega Man. I was so hyped to use them that I completely forgot to play as Luigi, and I always play as Luigi first in any game.

Mac will definitely be my (co-)main once I grasp some of finer points of using him.

Top Bottom