• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the DOJO accually revealing secret characters?

MFZ95

Smash Journeyman
I hope not,it seems that today Cpt.Olimar is confirmed,but with a team of Pikman to start the rumble BUT,what if the Smash dojo website is showing the secret characters?if i were Mashiro Sakurai,i would keep Wario,Pkmn Trainer,Olimar,Snake,Sonic unlockble characters,making them like OMG its HIM!,or OH NO ITS HIM!still i am afraid the characters that are updated on the DOJO site are the only characters you can play as........NOT MORE!,like lets say we just bought Brawl,half of the character list is missing,what if they turned out to be the unlockbles?that would suck because surprising was an awesome thing in Melee,when we are busy playing,suddenly WARNING CHARACTER APPROACHING! and you fight an unexpected character,because you fought a WTF character,you don't concentrate much on fighting,THAT IS REAL SMASH!!I want when i buy Brawl,unknown characters approach me,not characters who i knew that they were in because they were revealed before,since Olimar confirmed,it has been confirmed that the game is not gone gold,either Sakurai didn't finish the game and just thought that Olimar should join today,or Olimar was planned before.....i bet the already planned,if it wasent planned,i think a delay is coming but i hope not to go through one!,

Read it all.......

Luigi player

Smash Master
Do you really think Sakurai made Olimar yesterday or something? It looks like it. He probably has him in since some months now.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I doubt Olimar is a secret character. I had a theory that they'd announce a few more starters (Mainly Olimar and Ray 01). I have yet to see Ray 01 on the dojo, but I was right about Olimar. I wouldn't doubt more characters showing up before the game is released. =P

And Olimar isn't a WTF character. Pikmin was a Shigeru miyamoto game afterall. The only reason he wouldnt have been playable is if Sakurai thought he was too complex for a fighter and made him an AT. I am glad Sakurai was man enough to take the challenge though.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I think Olimar may be it for now. Sakurai needed someone to fill in that empty gap on Dojo, so he chose Olimar to do it. I'm very pleased with that decision too.

Chromepro

Smash Apprentice
like the TS
I agree, I hope that although there are plenty of characters released, he should save a few. Also the game leaking is the saddest part..Who would want a game where you know everything that is going to happen?
Not fun, anyways most likely he will tell us all of them, also that roster from that guy, FForceSultan I hope its fake.

HappyBlueBlue

Smash Rookie
Meh. I think that Sakurai put Olimar up because there's only one month left before the release.
I'm sure there will be plenty of surprises in store.

Brasil

Smash Cadet
Yes, the Dojo is actually revealing secret characters. Look at the posted characters so far. Then put together a starting roster structured around the skeleton of Melee's starting roster. Things fall into place pretty easily, I think.

That's an 18-character starting roster, with 12 Veterans and 6 Newcomers, which is a pretty similar ratio to Melee's. We also have 12 hidden characters (some Veterans, some Newcomers, some unannounced), which brings the total roster up to 30. And honestly, 30 is a solid number of characters for a fighting game. Anything above that and you start treading into the cluster**** territory of Mortal Kombat Trilogy/Armageddon.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
1) It's like 2 weeks or something till Brawl's release...

2) I'm sure Olimar is a secret character

3) I'm fairly certain every character on the DOJO is not secret with the exceptions of Olimar, Snake and Sonic

4) Brawl can have a lot of characters and still be good...Number of characters is NOT what made Armageddon as bad as it was

shellblade

Smash Cadet
Yes, the Dojo is actually revealing secret characters. Look at the posted characters so far. Then put together a starting roster structured around the skeleton of Melee's starting roster. Things fall into place pretty easily, I think.

That's an 18-character starting roster, with 12 Veterans and 6 Newcomers, which is a pretty similar ratio to Melee's. We also have 12 hidden characters (some Veterans, some Newcomers, some unannounced), which brings the total roster up to 30. And honestly, 30 is a solid number of characters for a fighting game. Anything above that and you start treading into the cluster**** territory of Mortal Kombat Trilogy/Armageddon.
there is something wrong here, oh that's right the game is called super smash bros brawl not melee 2. But otherwise you do have a likely starting roster. In my opinion though, the characters on the dojo are all on the starting roster. Sakurai wil most likely not reveal the unlockables until after the Japanese release.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312

Where's Diddy?

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
All of characters that are revealed on Dojo so for beside than third party characters such as Sonic and Snake, are starter character because of few obvious things.

1) Why would they announce secret characters before the release date. In Melee Site, they release all of secret character per week right after the game released.

2) If Captain Olimar is secret character then Sakurai would include the method how to unlock the characters. (expect third party characters)

3) Third Party characters just shown so they can get more people to buy the game becuase they love snake or sonic.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
All of characters that are revealed on Dojo so for beside than third party characters such as Sonic and Snake, are starter character because of few obvious things.

1) Why would they announce secret characters before the release date. In Melee Site, they release all of secret character per week right after the game released.

2) If Captain Olimar is secret character then Sakurai would include the method how to unlock the characters. (expect third party characters)

3) Third Party characters just shown so they can get more people to buy the game becuase they love snake or sonic.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I honestly don't mind, he might, might not, I don't care.

But from the starting roster I'm not sure. Even if what some say is true (Third parties are used to get attention and are the starting roster) it seems a little fishy.. But it is a good strategy.

-Onyx

Brasil

Smash Cadet
there is something wrong here, oh that's right the game is called super smash bros brawl not melee 2.
Eh, I see what you're trying to say here, but in all honesty, it's not so much treating Brawl like "Melee 2" as it is looking at patterns from the first two games, then applying those patterns and general common sense regarding what has and has not worked within the fighting game genre over the past few years.

We've all experienced the horror of the absurdly bloated rosters of other games, after all, and should know that any fighting game hitting 35+ characters usually suffers for it. Even Melee got slapped with a few. Kirby and Pikachu turned to mush while newcomers like Sheik and Marth were a wee bit better than they should have been. When the Smash Bros roster jumped from 12 to 24, bad things happened. I hope Sakurai & CO aren't stupid enough to make the same mistake again.

As for bballstar, you'll unlock Diddy relatively early. But given the symmetry in previous starting rosters, the previous starters often covering a wide range of basic maneuvers rather than complex characters, and the ratios we've seen in the first two games, I don't think there's room for Diddy in the starting roster, unless they go overboard and throw in another entire row of characters.

HappyBlueBlue

Smash Rookie
I really don't see the problem with lots of chars...
I love Armageddon, Budokai Tenkaichi 3, KOF, Soul Calibur, Melee... Lots of chars means lots of diversity!

However, I don't expect Brawl to have many (if any) clone characters. Having the option of playing with a different character every time you play gives the game a much freer feel to it, and it adds to it's replay value greatly. Learning how to play with every fighter gives you a complex challenge, and without a challenge, what is a game? And with diversity, everyone can have their "own" character. Like when I play games with my friends:
My chars: Ness, Samus, Kirby
Kyle 1: Falco, Falcon, Young Link
Kyle 2: Pikachu, Mario, Bowser
Perrin: Marth, Roy, Shiek (We consider these somewhat cheap...)

But we feel better having a char to call our own... So far I've claimed Meta Knight and Olimar, Kyle 1 has Pit and Sonic, Kyle 2 has Dedede and Wario, and Perrin has Snake and Ike.

Besides, if there are lots of chars to unlock, and they could in turn unlock new things, the game will remain entertaining for a long, long time. Just like Melee. If there are unlockables to be had, I'm game!

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
There is a distinct possibility that all of the characters except Mario and Kirby are unlockables. After all, Sakurai said in the Dojo that almost all characters are unlocked through Subspace Emissary, and we've already confirmed that the only two characters you start out with in SE are Mario and Kirby. We've all assumed that the characters Sakurai has been revealing are accessible from the start because of the size of Melee's starting roster, but given the stronger emphasis on single player this time around, it's entirely possible we'll be having to play SE just to get ahold of our old favorites like Link and Samus.

Panduh

Smash Journeyman
There is a distinct possibility that all of the characters except Mario and Kirby are unlockables. After all, Sakurai said in the Dojo that almost all characters are unlocked through Subspace Emissary, and we've already confirmed that the only two characters you start out with in SE are Mario and Kirby. We've all assumed that the characters Sakurai has been revealing are accessible from the start because of the size of Melee's starting roster, but given the stronger emphasis on single player this time around, it's entirely possible we'll be having to play SE just to get ahold of our old favorites like Link and Samus.
I'd like to agree, that sounds possible,
but then I thought that SSB series is also a big
thing on multiplayer modes, and with just 2
characters to start out with seems unlikely.
Same with stages.

EricShiznit

Smash Cadet
Starting with only Mario n Kirby sounds like a sweet idea to me, but no doubt there will be thousands of people who want to play multiplayer from the getgo, therefore it's unlikely.

Smash Ace
In my opinion, no. With Snake and Sonic as en exception.
'nuff said.

=2007=

Top Bottom