• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Taunting at the Start of the Match Worth it? (For Glory)

DysfunctionalHex

Smash Rookie
I'm sure we've all had someone taunt at the start of our FG matches. For the longest time I thought this taunting was akin to the taunting that happens after a kill; like they are going to clean the TV screen with your character in a second.

Apparently, this isn't the case. Taunting at the beginning of the match is more of a "hello" and/or "I don't take this too seriously, so let's have some fun." That's fine and dandy except so many people (I'm guilty too) of taking it as an intimidating gesture. Which is basically the polar opposite of what you are trying to do.

So with that in mind, is it worth taunting at the beginning. (Assuming you are going for the friendly-version, and not actually trying to intimidate your opponent)

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
It's more or less going to be the same match overall, either it be for fun or going super crazy on that controller after the taunt, different people will always have a different assumption on what you're doing when you're taunting at the start of the match and this is probably just in general.

Honestly, if you're feeling passionate about it go ahead! Just take to note that your opponent may or may not take it the way you're intended the taunt to be.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
There is no real definition to the meaning of a taunt. Some take it as an insult, others take it as a funny gesture.
I taunt sometimes at the start, alot of people won't care that i taunt and do a sprint grab and hit me anyhow. I always think to myself "how rude" didn't even let me taunt.

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
Some are just taunts. But doing Falco's taunts after getting a KO is insulting. xP I mean, he's just a **** about it. "Piece of cake." "Get some.."

And it's worse for when you do when and he says "Nothing but trouble." Or when you beat a Fox and he goes "You're off your game, Fox." It's like so much salt.

I end up laughing though when against my friends when it fits the mood.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I mean, if you want to taunt, go for it. But don't expect everyone to be nice and return the favor.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
Every time I have ganon dittos I up or down taunt, and 98% of the time they taunt back.

dittos can be fun and it shows the person has interest in the same character you are learning or maining, both could learn some things, otherwise I don't taunt at the start of a match unless they start first.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
There are two times I generally taunt at the beginning of the match. The first are ditto matches since it isn't often that I face another Palutena player. The second is when I've faced somebody so many times that both of us are less concerned about winning and more concerned about having fun, but those don't happen way to often anymore.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Here's what I think:

Taunting before the match starts (1st match)
Hello

Taunting before the match starts (2nd match)
"Good games!"

Them taunting after you KO them
"Nice kill!"

Them taunting after they KO you (This one is hard to recognize)
"Newb!" or "You've got to admit, that was an awesome KO."

There are some demeaning ones, though, depending on how you look at them.

Peach: "La, la, la, la, la, la!" (side taunt)

Wario: "Hahahaha!" (up taunt), *wiggles his butt* (side taunt)

Diddy Kong: *claps his hands* (down taunt)

Zelda: *waves* (down taunt)

Zero Suit Samus: "Is that all?" (up taunt), "Try me!" (side taunt)

Pit: "C'mon!" (up taunt), "Is that all you got?" (side taunt)

Palutena: *giggles* (side taunt), "Ready when you are." (down taunt)

Robin: "You're not ready." (down taunt)

jb5643io

Smash Rookie
NNID
jb5643io
I taunt after I get a kill sometimes to say "That was close" or "Good try." However if my person I'm facing is a **** then it's more like "**** YOU" more the first case though

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
I taunt after I get a kill sometimes to say "That was close" or "Good try." However if my person I'm facing is a **** then it's more like "**** YOU" more the first case though
When I managed to find an opening and I run up and Force Palm, it's like always so quick. And I do the up-taunt, where he roars(kinda) and it's always like a hype thing. Like "YES!"

jb5643io

Smash Rookie
NNID
jb5643io
When I managed to find an opening and I run up and Force Palm, it's like always so quick. And I do the up-taunt, where he roars(kinda) and it's always like a hype thing. Like "YES!"
I do that sometimes, but with Ness. Like if they do a SERIOUS goof then I rush in for a grab, and after I combo I do his up taunt since it's so fast just like a sort "don't do that again" type of deal.

Hydreigon360

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydreigon360
Taunting at the start of the match isn't worth it because the opponent might attack you during the taunt or get into a favorable position. Otherwise though taunting is funny. Especially with Captain Falcon, using the taunt "show me your moves" 3 times after a KO. I miss Sonic's taunt from Brawl "You're too slow!"

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:4falco:: "Get some" (side taunt)
:4ganondorf:: Side taunt
:4myfriends:: "Prepare yourself"
:4littlemac:: Side taunt
:4lucina:: "Come at me" or "I cannot lose"
:4shulk:: "This is the Monado's power"
:4zelda:: Down taunt

Depends on the character I play as but you may never know if the person you're playing against will come after you as soon as the match starts, leaving you open for an early punish. Therefore, it's not really worth it. And I don't taunt after a kill either unless the person I'm playing against decided to be an asshole and take the fun away.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I greet every new player on principle with a taunt. My usual introductory taunts are:

:4pit: - "C'mon!"
:4palutena: - "Ready when you are."
:4lucina: - "Come at me!"
:4robinf: - "Time to tip the scales!"
:4rob: - *Head spin*
:4ganondorf: - *Fist bump*
:4drmario: - *Pill toss*
:4ludwig: - *Fiery laugh*

If my opponent KOs me in a particularly satisfying or impressive manner, I'll usually respond with something like Pit's "That all ya got?" or Ganondorf's laugh. I seldom taunt after a kill, only if my opponent is being a poor sport (and even then I feel uncouth for doing it) or if I'm playing with a friend and chuckling at their demise.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I typically only taunt as a greeting if my opponent does it first, but any Captain Falcons that fail to open with "Show me your moves!" are letting down Captain Falcons across the globe.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I actually had a really funny moment earlier today during a Mario ditto; as soon as the match started, both me and my opponent did Mario's side taunt at the same time; it felt like a respectful bow before two combatants in a martial art duel.

Really, taunting is a gesture of respect or pride; either you can read them as someone being impressed or a prideful gesture after a good battle. I usually taunt when I'm getting confident or have the time to without interruption, since it makes my opponents do better in an effort to beat me; and even if that results in me getting beaten badly, I can at least know that they gave it everything they had.

Honestly, I'd find it worse to have been beaten by someone who was barely trying than someone who was trying as hard as they could. Taunting is always a respectful gesture (though sometimes I really don't spare someone the time if they're particularly aggravating as a sign of spite), though some people can get a little too big for their britches with taunting. :p

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I'll only do it if you do it in a normal game. A lot of the time I forget, and start running at them. Then I have to back off to answer their taunt.

If it's dittos, I'll ALWAYS taunt before the start of a match. And if you don't do it back, or try to attack me while I'm taunting, I'll fight you with the greatest of prejudice.

Raethien

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raethien
3DS FC
4012-4393-7821
Warning Received
I'm sure we've all had someone taunt at the start of our FG matches. For the longest time I thought this taunting was akin to the taunting that happens after a kill; like they are going to clean the TV screen with your character in a second.

Apparently, this isn't the case. Taunting at the beginning of the match is more of a "hello" and/or "I don't take this too seriously, so let's have some fun." That's fine and dandy except so many people (I'm guilty too) of taking it as an intimidating gesture. Which is basically the polar opposite of what you are trying to do.

So with that in mind, is it worth taunting at the beginning. (Assuming you are going for the friendly-version, and not actually trying to intimidate your opponent)
I taunt at the beginning to say, "Lets have a fun match." it doesn't necessarily mean Im not going to try. If they don't do it the second match I stop, because its only good if we both do it.

I typically only taunt as a greeting if my opponent does it first, but any Captain Falcons that fail to open with "Show me your moves!" are letting down Captain Falcons across the globe.
YES. It annoys me when people pick try to play Captain Falcon when I play him, and they don't even down taunt. C.Falcon brings the Hype.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I only ever taunt at the beginning of games if I come across someone better than me so that they can stay and play more, or if I come across another Captain Falcon on For Glory.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I sometimes forget, but I generally open with Fox's down taunt (come on!) as a sort of friendly challenge. It's like saying I want to have fun but I'm not going to go easy.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I normally take it as a free chance to hit them with laser or as free time to charge Shadow Ball, depending on who I am playing.

AJDOH

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3866-8495-8989
I don't usually taunt in the beginning of a match, but if you know me, I'm always trying new characters to see which I'm good at
So when I lose a crushing defeat, and they stay because they think it's an easy win, I switch to Sonic and taunt. I taunt as to say, "Hello, this is my main, good luck."
If they saved the replay of me getting crushed on a character I hardly know, my taunt means "Hello, get ready for payback."
Of course, they don't know, but it still annoys me.

If i'm playing kirby for some reason, I use his Hi taunt at the beginning..
if I'm playing Pikachu, I use the "Pika Pika!" taunt after I get a kill. I know its disrespectful, but it's way too cute to pass up.

Last edited:

epicsprinkles

Smash Rookie
NNID
zekurokuxakuroku
3DS FC
5086-2578-1204
I always taunt in the beginning of the match; if I'm using Mewtwo, I sometimes slip up can go straight for the charged Shadow Ball. But 99.99999%, I taunt. It's not really to sike someone out or anything. I do it in a "Good Luck!" or "Let's give it our all!" kind of way. I also taunt after I kill and after I win, but those are more like a "Woo-hoo!"

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
It's worth it if you wanna get hit right at the start. The only time I'll taunt at the beginning of the match is for Falcon dittos, which the other player almost always does as well.

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
Its variable for me lol. When I mained Falcon and did "Come on!" or "Show me your moves" It was typically at the start of a match, or literally telling them to do just that lol.

Fox is different. "Come on!" Is just that, "Lets fight." Or "Last stock, good luck."

Doing his gun flip is my **** you lol "That KO was to easy."

His "Here I come" taunt I usually do when the opponent gets a sick KO

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
Can't we as a community agree on what taunts are what, to allow for some communications in FG?
Like, up taunt meaning gl/hf, or some form of greeting. Side taunt something akin to 'nice one' or good game. And down taunt being the boasting show off after ko kind of thing?

I think if everybody on the smashboards starts doing that, it might actually be a big enough movement to get the word out and make it a good tool for communications.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
I only throw a opening fight taunt if we're both using the same character, usually the opponent will taunt as well

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
There's always gonna be that one jerk who runs up to you while you're doing your friendly pre-match taunt, grabs you and uses the bread and butter combo.

Top Bottom