• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is SSB like real world fighting?

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
I've been noticing ways that super smash bros can parallel real world fighting like martial arts(karate, kung fu, boxing, wrestling etc.)

For example, I fought my friend,on a one-on-one match, with mind games and a faster pace and I noticed that he started moving as quickly as I did. I was in control of how fast he moved and took advantage of that by slowing down and then getting into a faster pace to break his pace. I caught him a few times doing that.

This parallels rhythm in boxing.

This is a good explanation of boxing rhythm.

Rhythm is a natural cadence that you use to transfer weight from the front to the back foot in order to be able to shift directions faster, time punches for defensive maneuvers as well as your own attacks, confuse your opponent with regard to your intent, etc. You can also get your opponent used to your rhythm and switch it up or break rhythm to catch them in between the beats.
-SideofKO, Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forum
So anyone see other ways that smash parallels real world fighting? Does anyone take inspiration from a martial art for fighting in ssb? Anyone disagree?

mcpon

Smash Journeyman
Ummmm . . . I would say I do. In Smash, the moves that are used most are tips & jabs like in real striking and confusing your opponent with movement. I like your rythm assessment by the way. And chain grab reminds me of ground & pound where you have to deal with it until you get away.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Fighting games are generally going to be a lot like real competitive fighting since both of them include a lot of out thinking your opponent, trying to figure out what he's going for and countering it, using your strengths to cover your weaknesses and exploit his etc.

Of course, you can't really choose what character you wanna be irl so obv Melee is better.

Top Bottom