• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Sonic the First Ever "Guest Character" To Return to the Same Fighting Game Twice?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So this just struck me... Is Sonic the first ever instance of a Guest Character returning for another game of the same series?
Guest Characters, as far as I can tell, have always been restricted to only the game they first showed up in (Kratos in Mortal Combat, Link/Star Wars/Ezio etc. in Soul Calibur, so on) Besides expansions and HD re-releases. Obviously Smash is a much different monster than other Fighting Games, but regardless, has there ever been a guest character that has showed up in more than one game in the series?

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yup, he sure is, and he is also the only third party character so far to be confirmed to smash bros, let's just hope that Snake comes back too.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I had this thought before too but didn't research it enough. I was thinking similarly with the games mentioned like Soul Calibur which is why I was afraid Sonic may not come back in Smash 4 since there really hadn't been a principle set for this series.

Sonic's just way past cool.
and he is also the only third party character so far to be confirmed to smash bros, let's just hope that Snake comes back too.
I'm hoping you're referring to Sonic being the only 3rd party character so far to RETURN to Smash, then yes... Because Snake is the only other 3rd party character in previous Smash games so that's the only competition... But this game has both Pac-Man and Megaman confirmed which you should know by your signature.

:093:

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I had this thought before too but didn't research it enough. I was thinking similarly with the games mentioned like Soul Calibur which is why I was afraid Sonic may not come back in Smash 4 since there really hadn't been a principle set for this series.

I'm hoping you're referring to Sonic being the only 3rd party character so far to RETURN to Smash, then yes... Because Snake is the only other 3rd party character in previous Smash games so that's the only competition... But this game has both Pac-Man and Megaman confirmed which you should know by your signature.

Yeah it may be a long shot for Snake to come back but who knows?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If any copyright l
[qote="Camalange, post: 17333604, member: 114872"]I had this thought before too but didn't research it enough. I was thinking similarly with the games mentioned like Soul Calibur which is why I was afraid Sonic may not come back in Smash 4 since there really hadn't been a principle set for this series.

:093:[/quote]
If any copyright law in the universe cant stop Sonic, and a guest character tradition cant stop Sonic, he truly is past cool, probably even past badass

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
If any copyright l
[qote="Camalange, post: 17333604, member: 114872"]I had this thought before too but didn't research it enough. I was thinking similarly with the games mentioned like Soul Calibur which is why I was afraid Sonic may not come back in Smash 4 since there really hadn't been a principle set for this series.

If any copyright law in the universe cant stop Sonic, and a guest character tradition cant stop Sonic, he truly is past cool, probably even past badass[/quote]
Sonic's representation for two straight games is rather amazing really, the only thing that was rumored to stop the blue blur was a rumor in young town's "Dem Games" and the official site.

[I was surprised really that the rigged the model in that position!]
However, i'm really happy that sonic is once again fighting and representing "his world" as I kinda took the trailer a bit for granite as he was given a trailer. (Let alone I knew that he would join the fight regardless.)
For what it's worth, i'm happy that he's third party veteran I think some sonic fans should be happy about that.

On the other hand, shadow is only an assist trophy. . .
I thought he was the "cool" guy! :laugh:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If any copyright law in the universe cant stop Sonic, and a guest character tradition cant stop Sonic, he truly is past cool, probably even past badass
Sonic's representation for two straight games is rather amazing really, the only thing that was rumored to stop the blue blur was a rumor in young town's "Dem Games" and the official site.

[I was surprised really that the rigged the model in that position!]
However, i'm really happy that sonic is once again fighting and representing "his world" as I kinda took the trailer a bit for granite as he was given a trailer. (Let alone I knew that he would join the fight regardless.)
For what it's worth, i'm happy that he's third party veteran I think some sonic fans should be happy about that.

On the other hand, shadow is only an assist trophy. . .
I thought he was the "cool" guy! :laugh:[/quote]
Maybe next time Shadow

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Well the way I see it Sonic is now a Series Staple. He's been in 2 games.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I wish I had the source stating that Sonic was also planned to be in Super Smash Brothers Melee. Sadly I'm too lazy to look for it hah. Regardless I'm glad he is back. I absolutely love his design in this version.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I wish I had the source stating that Sonic was also planned to be in Super Smash Brothers Melee. Sadly I'm too lazy to look for it hah. Regardless I'm glad he is back. I absolutely love his design in this version.
It was an idea but time constrains didn't allow it to go through, A similar event occurred with Solid Snake back in Melee he was considered. So time constraints stopped both Solid Snake and Sonic from being in Melee.

Last edited:
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
IF sonic was in melee think it wouldn't be too far fetched to say that he would be top 5.e He would out speed CF and fox in a game that's all about being fast. Though i'm going off of his brawl move set i think he would be one of the more dominant picks due to his great recovery options and mix-ups. I don't count PM tbh as an accurate representation of what a melee sonic would be. Considering a lot of the moves that they gave sonic in PM wouldn't have existed (his fair, utilt and dsmash and to an extent his side B) because sonic battle and the advance games released after melee did

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
That's a funny thought... Just trying to visualize Sonic in a game like Melee is pretty hilarious. You'd have to imagine though that given the way it's balanced in it's own environment, Sonic's moveset would still be very different. Sonic can do aerials out of UpB in both Brawl and PM, which is unheard of in Melee. A whole different school of thought would be needed to make Sonic work in a Melee environment... PM is nowhere near an accurate representation, as you stated, but for a lot more reasons than just that.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Ice Climbers may prove you wrong unfortunately. Hope not though.
I think there's a difference between them. The Ice Climbers are probably not in because they couldn't figure out how to get them working correctly on the 3DS in time. While they could for Sonic. And Sonic's arguably the most popular inclusion in the franchise considering his demand was high enough to delay Brawl long enough for them to get him in the game. Sonic not being in a future game may as well be as big of a mistake as cutting one of the Original 12 at this point.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Technically no. Yoshimitsu from the Tekken games was originally a guest character in Soul Calibur, but has been a series staple since his first appearance. Though that was kind of inevitable since Tekken and Soul Calibur are made by similar teams, and are published by the same company. Keeping Yoshimitsu as a Soul Calibur mainstay made sense, as it arguably fits him more than Tekken does, at first glance.

There are probably more instances I'm not aware of. Though, maybe Sonic is the first veteran guest character in a fighting game that is owned by a different company than both the developer and publisher of said game?

WaveDashCash

Smash Apprentice
The more the merrier in terms of playable characters, so it's disappointing that Snake isn't coming back...but I should have known better than to expect him to given all the evidence against it. But having Sanic back makes absolutely makes my day! :)

Still, I'd love it if Snake managed to SNAKE his way back into the game somehow! ;)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
If losing Snake meant keeping Sonic and gaining Megaman and Pac-Man, then it's a sacrifice I can support.

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
As of right now, Sonic is the only 3rd party character to return for two Smash games. Hopefully Mega Man gets the same treatment.

Top Bottom