• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is someone else having hard time hitting CPU in air?

Dulop

Smash Cadet
The lv9 cpu ALWAYS airdodge when i'm about to hit them in the air. This make the ledge guarding very difficult... the worst part is if I aproach in the air and don't attack, they don't airdodge. Is Impossible.

Bjurrse

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bjurrse
Yes, they have inhuman reflexes. Their air and spot-dodges are insane...

However I have noticed that its really easy to grab them. And for some reason they don´t seem to be air-dodging when attacking from beneath. I tried spamming downthrow and Piston Punch as Mii Brawler against multiple lvl 9 cpu´s. Piston Punch, land repeat. Makes the move look insanely broken. Same with that Ganondorf custom up B (the punchy one).

As it more often than not, boils down to, Cpu´s are not very good sparring partners:/.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yes, they have inhuman reflexes. Their air and spot-dodges are insane...

However I have noticed that its really easy to grab them. And for some reason they don´t seem to be air-dodging when attacking from beneath. I tried spamming downthrow and Piston Punch as Mii Brawler against multiple lvl 9 cpu´s. Piston Punch, land repeat. Makes the move look insanely broken. Same with that Ganondorf custom up B (the punchy one).

As it more often than not, boils down to, Cpu´s are not very good sparring partners:/.

It seems level 9 CPU were codes differently in the air and on the ground.

On the ground they are pretty stupid. Run into smashes, jump off stage and die, don't shield, etc.

On the air they actually have frame 1 coin flips. They won't dodge ever until you have already attacked. Once you have attacked they will basically flip a coin and decide whether they should dodge your attack or not, this is what apparently the development team though was fair instead of, you know... programming real reflexes (like a 10-30 frame delay, randomized, but with no coin flip to simulate actual human reflexes).

This is why level 8/9 CPUs are so stupid and annoying to fight they will dodge 80% of whatever you throw at them in the air guaranteed no matter how well you time something or how much you try to throw their timing off.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I've never fought a level 9 CPU who didn't spam air-dodge the entire time in the air.
They don't spam it, they only do air dodge if you attack. I've fallen from double jump height next to a Level 9 without attacking and it didn't airdodge once. As soon as I attack, even if it's in the wrong direction, instant air dodge. It's why I hate them so much, they are programmed to have 1 frame perfect reaction and in order to "make it fair" they have like a 10-20% chance to not dodge. So they will be effectively dodging around 80-90% of your aerials no matter what it is or how much you try to throw their "timing" off.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
They don't spam it, they only do air dodge if you attack. I've fallen from double jump height next to a Level 9 without attacking and it didn't airdodge once. As soon as I attack, even if it's in the wrong direction, instant air dodge. It's why I hate them so much, they are programmed to have 1 frame perfect reaction and in order to "make it fair" they have like a 10-20% chance to not dodge. So they will be effectively dodging around 80-90% of your aerials no matter what it is or how much you try to throw their "timing" off.
I pretty much never play Single Player in Smash 4 because of it. It's highly frustrating.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I pretty much never play Single Player in Smash 4 because of it. It's highly frustrating.
I highly agree, except I wanted to grind for the custom moves so I was forced to play through it. I learned A LOT about the level 9 CPUs because of that (And it was frustrating as hell).

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I highly agree, except I wanted to grind for the custom moves so I was forced to play through it. I learned A LOT about the level 9 CPUs because of that (And it was frustrating as hell).
Yeah I need to grind for customs still too, but most of the time when I have the urge to go do it, it's not worth it dealing with frame-perfect hyper-defensive CPUs.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yeah I need to grind for customs still too, but most of the time when I have the urge to go do it, it's not worth it dealing with frame-perfect hyper-defensive CPUs.

Try to remain grounded, they seem to make a lot more mistakes when on the ground. Honestly, go for chars who have F-Smashes/U-Smashes with huge knockback and just spam. All-Stars and Classic become easy this way (And do the homerun bat crazy orders things to get customs real fast).

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Try to remain grounded, they seem to make a lot more mistakes when on the ground. Honestly, go for chars who have F-Smashes/U-Smashes with huge knockback and just spam. All-Stars and Classic become easy this way (And do the homerun bat crazy orders things to get customs real fast).
Ouch, that's where the sucky part comes in. I excel in air play, and I don't prefer to spam even against CPUs.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Yes. One time I tried to hit a level 9 computer four times in the air in the same "batch" of attacks and it dodged all four. It's ridiculous.

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899

This video I made not too long back sums it up pretty well :D

Single frame reads, ugh, the laziest way to create AI and make it appear challenging.

D

Deleted member

What also sucks is they turn Marth, Lucina, Little Mac, and etc's counter into something broken at level 9. You're always at a raw disadvantage due to the speed they can counter at.

Crow!

Smash Lord
The problem is that whereas humans make up for their reaction time by predicting what the target will do, CPUs make up for their inability to think by having no reaction time.

If a high level CPU is doing nothing in the air, no aereal attack will hit because it will respond to the attack by dodging. This can be abused, however; do an attack which lasts shorter than an air dodge and you can attack again as they emerge, or attack just before they use their up-B to recover and they will air dodge and die.

Gretalian

Smash Cadet
the cpu cheats, they always know what im going to do, have crazy good reflexes.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I think this can also extend to Amiibos... Cuz I remember trying to juggle an amiibo after whaling on it with aerials... and it dodged literally everything even when I stalled my attacks. T_T

D

Deleted member 269706

I believe it is possible to hit them by buffering attacks or frame locking them, but it's still ridiculous how inhuman they are. I think that "myth" about them reading button inputs is actually true this time around.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
They air dodge at like the perfect time its ridiculous, with fg players you can bait out an air dodge but the cpu is programmed to air dodge right when you input an attack so its so stupid

C3CC

Smash Lord
Yes. One time I tried to hit a level 9 computer four times in the air in the same "batch" of attacks and it dodged all four. It's ridiculous.
This JUST happened to me AGAIN. It's so frustrating. It's not fun at all.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I feel the same everytime. And living in Argentina means I can't play for glory, there is so much ping. It's a shame :(
Really? For Glory is not working in Argentina? How weird. I live in Venezuela and it works great here.

By the way, latino brofist!! m

Top Bottom