• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is short hopping easier in Brawl?

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I've tried to learn how to short hop in Melee, but I could never get it down. I know it is a necessary technique to know how to do, but I just can't figure out how to do it. Anyways, I've heard that it is easier to do it in Brawl because you do have to tap the button, you have to release it before the begining jump animation ends.

Is this true, if so I'll surely be able to short hop with Mario.

Finch

Smash Lord
Tapping the jump button and releasing it before the jump animation begins is how you do it in both melee and in brawl. I don't know if it is easier in brawl, but if it is it will be because certain character's jump animation takes longer to start.

It really isn't so hard to do in melee though. Start by practicing with bowser and ganon then move up to falco and work your way towards mario. It's pretty easy once you're used to it.

illphil

Smash Apprentice
Why must you people make things more complicated than they already are?Tap jump and release before the animation starts? Why so technical? Just tap the button as light as you can, perhaps with your fingernail. Just because Brawl isn't like melee it doesnt mean you have go off making up techniques

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
pretty sure short hop is affected by speed of pressing the button, and not how much pressure you put on it

piefayth

Smash Rookie
it's ten times easier. no question. there's no excuse to not be able to short hop in brawl.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
Many of you are saying to tap the button lightly, but I'd like to point out that the amount of pressure on the button is insignifcant since the game only recognizes two commands: pressed or not pressed. The x and y buttons are not analog like the l and r buttons. What you should say is to hit it as quickly as possible.

timidshadow

Smash Apprentice
It's a little tricky at first but with practice anyone could do it. The trick is to tap the jump button and release it instantaneously, it takes alot of reaction on your part so if your slow it might hinder your progress.

Top Bottom