• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Samus' SSBB model based off of prime trilogy?

Nothingman

Smash Cadet
I cant really tell.

she looks a lot bigger and shinier (shiny-er?) in Brawl, i cant tell if shes modeled after prime or super metroid or what. i know her missiles are super metroid style.

but i also noticed her morph ball is alot bigger in brawl. in melee it was tiny like not even knee height. in prime it was about half her height, so it seems more prime-like in brawl

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Her suit is based oiff Metroid Prime 3 at the beggining, before she's corrupted
That's the same suit she uses in Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 1&2,among other games.
It's the varia suit(barrier in japan),and it's not based on MP3.

Naraku

Smash Cadet
Model is based off Super Metroid. I think the prime one was too awesome to use.

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
Samus' smash models are based off her super metroid models. despite other characters getting model upgrades like link zelda and fox to their more current games, Samus' model sadly stays the same.

You can see the similarities between Smash Samus and Super Meroid Samus in the bulkiness of her armor, mainly in the chest, crotch, and knee regions. Also their helmets are the same with the triangular green visor and the semicircle lining above the visor.

The Prime models deviate from the Super Metroid model in that the chest, crotch and knee areas are leaner and less bulky. There are also extra spherical green light plates on the thigh of her armor in the Prime models. In Echoes and Corruption her helmet change even further where instead of the visor being strictly triangular, they've added an extra trapezoid incision to the top of her visor, and the lining is changed from semicircle to 3 vertical lines.

So ultimately, the Smash Model is the same model used in Super Metroid. However, the Smash model holds obvious similarities to the Prime models but there are differences as aforementioned. I personally like the Prime models better cuz it's leaner and less bulky. so yeah, hope that clears it up =)

ShadowRegulus

Smash Rookie
Actually, her model is based on the Zero Mission version of her suit this time around. There are some ending shots at vgmuseum.com if you want to see it.

ZM's model was something of a fusion of Super Metroid and Metroid Prime designs, though it's primarily based on Super Metroid's (better looking, IMO) design.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I really wish they had updated Samus' design on several accounts for the new Smash. For one thing, the Prime design looks better to me, and another point is that in Prime, Samus' grapple is on her left hand, which is just neater.

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
Actually the Zero mission model is actually quite slimmer than the Smash model, you can really see the difference in her crotch area. But these minor details are trivial. Let's just be happy that she looks way better in brawl than in melee. =)

ShadowRegulus

Smash Rookie
It's slightly different, yes, but it's still quite clear that the design is primarily lifted from Zero Mission.

I really wish they had updated Samus' design on several accounts for the new Smash. For one thing, the Prime design looks better to me, and another point is that in Prime, Samus' grapple is on her left hand, which is just neater.
I've always felt like the grapple looked sort of extraneous on her left arm like that. It made sense from a gameplay perspective (wait... could you shoot while swinging in Prime 1? I can't recall), but it just looks like it's not supposed to be there.

I've also never really liked the Prime design because they bulked up her shoulder pads like crazy and made her head proportionally smaller. I also like the hard angles more than the sleek look... but these are just my opinions, and not a whole lot of people share them, for some reason.

Ares And Enyo

Smash Apprentice
I would say it was influenced ... not based off her prime series ... it had too much win for Brawl to handle.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I'm actualy glad they used the Super/Zero Mission suite for Samus. I love the Primes and have all 4 (yes I count Hunters) but I never was to keen on the armor models. It may be slimer in some parts but because of that it makes her shoulders and arms look huge.
Prime Samus looks alot like a football player to me where as the Brawl, Melee, and Super/Zero Mission designs look more like someone could actually wear them.

GotACoolName

Smash Journeyman
The Prime design would have been too bulky for Brawl. While it is by far my favorite, it wouldn't work in a game with lots of fast-paced movement like Smash. IMO, they should have used the Prime 2 design. It was smooth and shiny, and it mostly appeared the same as it did in Prime, but it was much less bulky - smaller shoulder pads, etc.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Zero Mission, and I am glad it's not based on Prime...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've always felt like the grapple looked sort of extraneous on her left arm like that. It made sense from a gameplay perspective (wait... could you shoot while swinging in Prime 1? I can't recall), but it just looks like it's not supposed to be there.
Prime 1 was gay, and wouldn't let you shoot while grappling, but in 3, I remember you could.

As far as the aesthetic of the whole thing goes, I can see how one could find it unappealing. It does leave her left arm looking weird, but I think the practicality of it makes it appealing in its own right.

xixDaShrimpxix

Smash Apprentice
i don't see much of a difference between Brawl, Prime, and Zero Mission samus. except the visor... idk. if someone could point out the differences...

DQP

Smash Ace
you know, it's really hard to tell. i don't know if she's the prime samus or the zero mission samus. however, i do know that her zero-suit is from prime. hint, hint?

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
oh no no no...i hate to be nitpicky, but i think i can safely say i draw samus correctly without reference very acurrately. i've studied all her models and can tell you that her Super Metroid and Zero Mission models are the same except for the added green light on her chest and calves in the Zero Mission models, otherwise they are exactly the same. The prime versions deviate from the rest of the models, and all three Primes have different models. if you really want a picture by picture comparison i can do one, but it'll have to wait, i've got class =)

thus her SSBB(and melee's) model were based off her Super Metroid and Zero Mission varia suits. i am quite positive.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Actually, her model is based on the Zero Mission version of her suit this time around. There are some ending shots at vgmuseum.com if you want to see it.

ZM's model was something of a fusion of Super Metroid and Metroid Prime designs, though it's primarily based on Super Metroid's (better looking, IMO) design.
The only person who was right got completely ignored. lol :p

Moon/Sun

Smash Apprentice
it's Super Metroid the missiles she fires are the green super missiles.
That's not the only game she fires green super missles, it's merely the first time she does.
I strongly think Samus is based off her Zero Mission design this time around as there are diffirendes from her Melee model. Also ZS Samus debuted in ZM, another reason for my opinion.

Top Bottom