• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ryu too "advanced"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I don't really like the fct that they put sf mechanics into smash. With the sheer number of tools and options he has that other characters don't i predict him to be shenanigans. Just the fact that he has FADC in a game normally without that technique alone expands his potential to heights the rest of the cast can only dream of.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
As someone who plays SF2 on the SNES, I'd say it'd help lots if you practiced there before jumping to use him in Smash. The controls are very different but the technique looks very similar.
This

I played SF2 on the SNES for years as a kid. I jumped in with Ryu and i basically started playing like it was SF not Sm4sh. I havent lost to a single Ryu yet with the exception of my own suicides from forgetting my edge-hogging game is TERRIBLE as Ryu lol. Lost to link/shiek a ton of times though....then again Shiek seems to have higher priority on literally every attack (never once had a simo hit where we both took damage, or parried, only got myself whacked every time)

He is....very in depth though compared to other fighters. Its hard to play him more because you think SF with him at some points, then think Sm4sh in others. Determining when to bounce between those mindsets is not easy.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't like that they added his SF commands. There's a reason I play Smash over other fighting games. They're too complex and hard. Yeah, maybe after 10 hours of practice I can start to have fun. But Smash is fun out the gate. Easy to learn, hard to master is the formula for a great game. Oh well... I guess it'll just be this one character, but I'm disappointed that I'm not going to be able to have fun with him.

D

Deleted member

I honestly don't like that they added his SF commands. There's a reason I play Smash over other fighting games. They're too complex and hard. Yeah, maybe after 10 hours of practice I can start to have fun. But Smash is fun out the gate. Easy to learn, hard to master is the formula for a great game. Oh well... I guess it'll just be this one character, but I'm disappointed that I'm not going to be able to have fun with him.
If you people are wondering just how i feel pretty much, here you go. I've definitely played Street Fighter before, but...

Last edited by a moderator:

Indexxical!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0469-2438-4789
If you people are wondering just how i feel pretty much, here you go. I've definitely played Street Fighter before, but...
You guys don't have to use his SF commands. His special attacks are still strong as hell. If you decide that Ryu is really the character for you, then maybe over time you'll be more willing to use his SF commands.

I like Ryu a lot.

D

Deleted member

Okay guys, the thread CAN die now. I've decided i will play with Ryu now and then in the future, but... just let the thread die, be locked, and rot away. I've learned my lesson : Ryu just isn't for ME.

grizby2

Smash Lord
its only the special inputs that make him "hard", but once you get those down, its not very difficult. heck I did his hadoken the SF way before I actually used the B button. XD

I think a lot of ryus may try to get in close, dodge roll behind you, and try shoryuken on you. that when you punish him upon his landing. also tetsumaki senpukyaku is easily punished with a well-timed ranged smash or a blockn'grab.

as for his hadoken.. personally I LOVE absorbing them with psi magnet. or even better, reflecting them with ness's bat~ ahh thats so refreshing!
hes a hard hitter, but he has his faults. if you can get your hands on a traditional fighting game like skull girls or killer instinct, just practice button inputs. that or just pick-up a copy of street fighter andjust practice ryu for a bit. I find his classic inputs feel pretty natural when executed in smash honestly.
other than that, he feels like another smash character.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Tatsumaki and Hadouken aren't even all that tough to pull off. Though I guess I could see people new to input commands having trouble with the Shoryuken, especially on 3DS.

D

Deleted member

its only the special inputs that make him "hard", but once you get those down, its not very difficult. heck I did his hadoken the SF way before I actually used the B button. XD

I think a lot of ryus may try to get in close, dodge roll behind you, and try shoryuken on you. that when you punish him upon his landing. also tetsumaki senpukyaku is easily punished with a well-timed ranged smash or a blockn'grab.

as for his hadoken.. personally I LOVE absorbing them with psi magnet. or even better, reflecting them with ness's bat~ ahh thats so refreshing!
hes a hard hitter, but he has his faults. if you can get your hands on a traditional fighting game like skull girls or killer instinct, just practice button inputs. that or just pick-up a copy of street fighter andjust practice ryu for a bit. I find his classic inputs feel pretty natural when executed in smash honestly.
other than that, he feels like another smash character.
I just felt strange picking him up for the first time, and i still firmly believe i won't do very well with him in the future even with more practicing here and there. Button mashing/actual inputs? That stuff i remember on my old 360 and its controller. The mixture Ryu brings, along with Smash Bros style of control and my GC Controller? I'm some sort of scrub who wants to get "gud" with a recent character. Sounds terrible, but that's just me.

D

Deleted member

this thread is so funny omfg

"too advanced"

let me know when someone discovers he can multishine
Crap like this is why this thread really needs a lock, and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom