• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Running USmashing easier with Jump Cancel?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Ever since the patch, it's been really troublesome to usmash while running, at least for me (since lack of c-stick, as I don't have the new 3ds yet.)

But I've realized that if I do a jump-cancelled usmash, while I'm not sure that it gets me any further, it seems to make it sooo much easier to usmash consistently during a run without having to stop.

Am I the only one who noticed this?

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
A JC Usmash does give you more distance than a running Usmash. Both are easy to execute, so it may be just your timing on the running usmash. I've been using JC Usmash over the latter once I got comfortable with the button inputs (Rolling thumb tip to base with X->A).

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Really? Wow, killin two birds with one stone XP

Aight, that's cool then. IDK, it just seems to me like it's a lot more consistent to JC the Usmash than to do it normally.

Maybe I'm just weird XD

RainblowCupcakes

Smash Rookie
NNID
RainblowCupcakes
What's jump-canceled up smash? Sorry if it's a super obvious thing, but I've never heard of it before.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
What's jump-canceled up smash? Sorry if it's a super obvious thing, but I've never heard of it before.
While you're running, you press jump, but right after, you usmash, and you will do a slightly more extended usmash, like with a lil\ slide =P

Basically you cancel what would have been a jump with an usmash.

CallmeCray

Smash Rookie
NNID
CallmeIceT
While you're running, you press jump, but right after, you usmash, and you will do a slightly more extended usmash, like with a lil\ slide =P

Basically you cancel what would have been a jump with an usmash.
Lol i always wondered if anyone noticed this to but never posted it I remember in brawl DK was one of my mains and it would be so much easier to jump then up b rather than just up b same for usmash idk how it makes it easier to execute consecutively but it just does

CallmeCray

Smash Rookie
NNID
CallmeIceT
Lol i always wondered if anyone noticed this to but never posted it I remember in brawl DK was one of my mains and it would be so much easier to jump then up b rather than just up b same for usmash idk how it makes it easier to execute consecutively but it just does
jump canceled up b and usmash i might add

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Running and Usmashing halts the momentum from the dash almost completely for many characters since the last patch so a jump cancelled Usmash is often better to do and it has it's use in some combos and followups.

For example you can on low percent do a Fthrow with Captain Falcon and then immediately follow Up with a JC Usmash before the opponent gets up, but it wouldn't work with a normal Usmash.

On a side note, i find this mechanic annoying in a way cause sometimes it have happened when i try to do a shorthop Uair forward that i end up pressing the buttons too fast and do a JC Usmash instead :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom