• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Rosalina's super light weight a pro or a con?

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
I've seen people arguing that one of Rosaluma's few flaws is that she's one of the lightest characters in the game. But having fought some really good Rosalina players online, it seems that while her light weight allows characters to get early KO's on her (Puff's Rest at 50% comes to mind), it makes her impossible to rack up damage as she can vector out of combos, jabs, juggles and grab follow ups (speaking of grabs, she can't be pummled if Luma is nearby). Couple this with projectiles being useless, it seems like a very long process to get her in KO range, even if she can be KO'd early. If played by a player with a perfected spacing game, it seems like Roslina's ability to survive is helped by her light weight, not hindered by it.

What are other's thoughts or experience on fighting/playing as Rosaluma? I might be completely wrong, but it certainly feels like she's a slippery one.

Last edited:
Weight is double edge'd. Being light means that you can probably avoid being combo'd that much. The only problem is the knockback if you're hit by a smash attack or any devastating attack. This all varies depending on other attributes like falling speed and such.

In a way, it's sort of both but Rosalina being light is the only thing that most characters can exploit because at this point, that's probably her only disadvantage (Other than being a technical character to get used to)

But if you think about it, if she were heavier, that'd probably be more helpful. Wouldn't it?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I was actually talking about this in another thread, so I'll just re-post what I had there:

Vectoring and large blast zones help Rosalina out a lot, especially since she's great at hanging around off stage. If she's knocked off, she can hang off stage for days if she isn't KO'd.

So let's say Bowser gets a good hit in on Rosalina. Rosalina uses vectoring to survive. Bowser can't really afford to follow up on this, because he's not amazing in the air, while Rosalina is, so she can hang around as a long as she needs to and play a lot of mind games from here. However, let's say the reverse happens - Rosalina knocks Bowser quite far, but not quite enough to KO. No big deal, she can just follow up on this. Bowser is at a huge disadvantage when trying to recover against her, as she has so many options that shut him down in this state. Heck, even Luma Shot is reliable, since Bowser is such a big target.
It's not really a disadvantage when I'm surviving to really high percents anyway, often times higher than my opponents (just had a bunch of matches against a guy who used ROB, Ganondorf, and Yoshi, and I was surviving up to nearly 200% while they were going much earlier).

Not to mention the rage mechanic is a thing, giving her higher launch power.

Rosalina is tall and light, but she can recover from the magnifying glass, she can hang around the air (a space where she often has the advantage), she has awesome dodges, vectoring is a thing, and she has a meat shield, as well as Gravitational Pull. And many of her opponents are easy to follow up on, while she isn't so much for them. Just to name a few.

So no, tall and light =/= easy to KO. Because the fact of the matter is, you SHOULD be using all tools at your disposal to make yourself difficult to KO. This applies to any character, but Rosalina has amazing tools for this. Hence, surviving past 150% is common for me.

Ignoring these points in favour of concluding she is easy to KO by virtue of her weight value is like ignoring that Shulk has the Shield Monado Art.
So basically, I think it actually has more advantages than disadvantages. Being KO'd obnoxiously early has never been an issue for me. I survive to high percents all of the time, and of course, Luma takes a lot of hits even before that, if I let him do some work.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
(Sorry, I'm new to these boards so I don't know how to delete this post I made by mistake. If a moderator could delete this post that would be great.)

Last edited:

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Depends on your playstyle.

It's both a con and a pro but for me, I love it because it makes her a juggle god on characters like Little Mac which goes well with her long-ish ranged up and down aerials.

Rosalina can also jump under the stage and grab onto the other ledge because she has a good recovery to go along with her weight.

But what I really love it for is turning Rosalina into a gimp god when it's paired with her Bair, Aerials, Luma, Star Bits, Projectile Negator, and her aimable long ranged recovery. She is even able to gimp some characters with long ranged recoveries because of all this. She just wouldn't be the same if she was heavy.

In short, it's the reason why I get a ton of double stocks in For Glory and have around a 90% win rate in over 100 battles.

Touchebag

Smash Cadet
Much like sonicbrawler182 said, I find myself surviving far longer than I should with her. Going over 150% is not uncommon. I don't really notice her being that light, just floaty.

I definitely think that her light weight gives her more advantages than disadvantages.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The only match-up where Rosalina's light weight is an issue is against Zero Suit Samus, I feel.

Zero Suit Samus normally lacks kill power in exchange for fast and safe Smash attacks.

However, since Rosalina is light, ZSS basically has kill power now. And fast and safe Smash attacks.

Against other characters, their kill moves aren't as safe, meaning they aren't a problem for Rosalina. However, although ZSS doesn't have amazing kill moves in general, some of her moves are effectively kill moves against Rosalina, and are fast and safe to boot.

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
It can go either way.

On one hand it can make Rosalina harder to combo, as you've said.

On the other, it makes Rosalina take a really long time to reach the stage again and gives opponents a lot of time to catch her in the air and juggle.

I think the end result on whether this is a true Pro or Con will be depended on the Meta of the game and how it develops.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
On the other, it makes Rosalina take a really long time to reach the stage again and gives opponents a lot of time to catch her in the air and juggle.
It can depend on how mobile Rosalina's adversary is though. Slower fighters may have a harder time pulling that off, considering what Launch Star can do.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
In regards to this game's mechanics, it's truly more of a con. Samus is genuinely heavy, but floaty and still hard to combo despite her weight. Luigi is similar, and neither of them get pushed around like a tissue.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I don't know why, but despite Rosalina's light weight, she can still live forever. I don't know how long other characters can last, but I can still last to 150+% pretty consistently. I think it's because I stall like crazy when I get into high percents. Luma is amazing at keeping opponents at bay, so despite her lightness, its still really hard to set up a kill move against her. Kill moves will kill her really early, but if a Rosalina player can stand up to the pressure, they still won't be able to get in a kill move.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't know why, but despite Rosalina's light weight, she can still live forever. I don't know how long other characters can last, but I can still last to 150+% pretty consistently. I think it's because I stall like crazy when I get into high percents. Luma is amazing at keeping opponents at bay, so despite her lightness, its still really hard to set up a kill move against her. Kill moves will kill her really early, but if a Rosalina player can stand up to the pressure, they still won't be able to get in a kill move.
That's pretty much the gist of it. Bowser can definitely take her out before 100% if he lands his Side Smash or something on her real good, but it's very difficult for him to achieve that, since he can't really set up for that, most definitely not against Rosalina. For some characters, they have to rely on lucky potshots to get Rosalina out.

otter

Smash Ace
that may be because of Rosalinas excellent spacing limiting what you get hit by.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
The reason why I survive for so long is because it's hard for a lot of For Glory players (even for some of the decent ones) to even hit me. I usually double stock with percents as low as 35 because she doesn't need to even put herself in many risky situations when she has Luma. Not to mention, Luma also can just eat up most of the hits. This is pretty much why my Total Damage Dealt %'s in my For Glory records (which are Rosalina exclusive), tend to be well above twice as much as my Total Damage Taken. I can argue that she is one of the hardest characters to rack up damage on for the character stats. I guess the fact she dies early could be part of the reason.

Last edited:
Top Bottom