• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Robin a Character That "People didn't know they wanted until it was shown to them?"

Ragna22

Smash Ace
That's fine. I understand.

A lot of our supporters before the reveal were from people who had not played Fire Emblem, either. All they had to see was just a taste of what Robin could do that other Fire Emblem characters couldn't. Also that sick robe.
It's funny you say that too because I never had an interest in the Fire Emblem characters in Smash until I started playing Ike in Project M.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
It's funny you say that too because I never had an interest in the Fire Emblem characters in Smash until I started playing Ike in Project M.
You're missing out man. Not to be a sales pitch guy but fire emblem is great. The stories are always interesting and each of the characters feel like different people (To varying degrees of stereotypes in some cases, but take what you can get) instead of nameless and faceless units you move around a map. Of course if you dislike strategy games then there's no way Fire Emblem is likely to change your mind.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
You're missing out man. Not to be a sales pitch guy but fire emblem is great. The stories are always interesting and each of the characters feel like different people (To varying degrees of stereotypes in some cases, but take what you can get) instead of nameless and faceless units you move around a map. Of course if you dislike strategy games then there's no way Fire Emblem is likely to change your mind.
Yeah I hear ya, Robin did get me interested in trying FE Awakening and I've been looking to play more tacical RPGs after enjoying the hell out of Project X Zone.

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
I was not really going out of my way to support him, but I always thought he was a better choice then chrom.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I'd hate to be pessimistic, but to answer the original question...
Nope. Never wanted Robin and I still don't, but what can ya do? At the very least, I'm not completely unsatisfied, since Lucina is there too. Plus, I understand that many people are satisfied with him.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I'd hate to be pessimistic, but to answer the original question...
Nope. Never wanted Robin and I still don't, but what can ya do? At the very least, I'm not completely unsatisfied, since Lucina is there too. Plus, I understand that many people are satisfied with him.
Ouch. Why did you never want Robin? From a character standpoint?

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I've been hanging around GameFAQs for a bit and only recently decided to finally come over here, and I can say that this statement is so true. I was one of Robin's biggest supporters over there, but every time that I'd mention him (pre-reveal), I'd be shot down. "He's not the main character," "He only appears in one game," "He's not a Lord," "He's just another 'avatar,'" "No, because he's male or female!"

Under the impression that people were just blindly following Gematsu, I made a topic about if people actually would "prefer" Robin over Chrom and asked them to put aside leaks and probabilities and just give me an answer. I was so disappointed to find that Chrom was overwhelmingly winning and that most posters just said that "He's the main character, duh." TBH, the only real reasons I could see to prefer Chrom over Robin is if you really liked Chrom's personality or if you heavily favored pure sword users (two answers that weren't given).

Then, after the Robin reveal, a handful of people went back on their words and admitted that Robin was a much better choice. It's strange- even when presented with a completely unique character (not saying that Chrom couldn't be) and asked if they preferred to have a spell-slinging swordsman, so many people just blindly wanted Chrom and would accept Robin until he was actually shown. Yes, Sakurai did a much better job than most predicted, but even the concept of a Mage Knight should have moved people but it didn't until they saw tangible proof.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Not really, Robin was a very popular character well before being revealed. Personally, unless we get to ability to customize Robin's appearance I still would have rather had Chrom. Seeing Robin in action didn't change my opinion of not wanting a generic Robin. As far as characters "people didn't know they want" I think Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer fall into that category much better. Especially Wii Fit Trainer, before her reveal most people would think your crazy for suggesting her. But it seems a lot of people are excited for her now.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Not really, Robin was a very popular character well before being revealed. Personally, unless we get to ability to customize Robin's appearance I still would have rather had Chrom. Seeing Robin in action didn't change my opinion of not wanting a generic Robin. As far as characters "people didn't know they want" I think Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer fall into that category much better. Especially Wii Fit Trainer, before her reveal most people would think your crazy for suggesting her. But it seems a lot of people are excited for her now.
Any reason why you'd rather have Chrom? Also, I do agree with you about Rosalina and WFT- I loved Super Mario Galaxy but didn't think that Rosalina would work and WFT is so odd that she's perfect.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I was once approached with the suggestion of a mage-character from FE-series in Tumblr, to which I approved about due me liking magic in FE-games. I though wanted someone like Micaiah instead of MU (because I didn't feel high on yet another faceless-ish character being in Smash).
However, all this I found a bit of a pipe dream I would have lived on without due Chrom's presence (and wouldn't have minded his inclusion anyway - I was though agreeing that he seemed to not bring anything much to the table, but trusted on Sakurai to give him creativity on playstyle.)

This was thus one of the reasons I didn't even bother checking the Robin-support thread (On the other hand, I wasn't active at the Chrom-thread either...). I didn't just consider much FE-reps a possibility, much less a mage-character (which would have really appealed on my favourite things in FE-series)

Still, I really, really love how they did him, and I might say I really wanted an FE-rep like Robin (a mage character) since my fave class was Tactician in Awakening- though I would have really loved a full-on mage character. But hey, now I can play as a Tactician in Smash to boot. Tipping scales with your weapons never felt so good before. (Also, I'm Libra so it's even more fitting for me to like a class like that)

I'd lean on yes, though. After all, I brushed the possibility of a mage character aside due Chrom.

Last edited:

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Any reason why you'd rather have Chrom? Also, I do agree with you about Rosalina and WFT- I loved Super Mario Galaxy but didn't think that Rosalina would work and WFT is so odd that she's perfect.
Because he's a character I actually have a connection with. As I've said in several other threads, if it somehow turns out that we can heavily customize Robin to actually look/sound like our avatars I might like Robin better. The Robin we got is a character I have 0 connection too, on top of the fact that I just blatantly dislike the generic Robin's design. Chrom would make sense for everyone, Chrom is always Chrom, the most he could be different is if you made him a weird class. Robin/My Unit could look and sound several different ways, the whole point was that it was YOUR unit. The Robin we got isn't, except the few people who just used the default look.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Because he's a character I actually have a connection with. As I've said in several other threads, if it somehow turns out that we can heavily customize Robin to actually look/sound like our avatars I might like Robin better. The Robin we got is a character I have 0 connection too, on top of the fact that I just blatantly dislike the generic Robin's design. Chrom would make sense for everyone, Chrom is always Chrom, the most he could be different is if you made him a weird class. Robin/My Unit could look and sound several different ways, the whole point was that it was YOUR unit. The Robin we got isn't, except the few people who just used the default look.
Gotcha. I'm new here, so I guess I just hadn't seen you express those sentiments before. That's seriously all I needed- a good explanation by someone who genuinely wanted Chrom. That's a completely valid point and I'm surprised that I haven't seen someone bring it up quite like you did. While I personally like Robin as-is, I fully understand people who want their own Robin- I wasn't interested in Villager that much until I saw his yellow outfit that looks like my personal character from New Leaf. I don't think that we'll wind up with a fully customizable Robin (or Villager), but would you feel a little better about him/her if his/her other costumes were a little closer to your own "Robin" (such as having the right hair color or face, since I don't see them making different sizes)?

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Well, Robin wasn't that character for me since I wanted him and a "magic user" for some time now. :p

It's just I thought chrom was more likely, so I didn't bother supporting him.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In my case, yes, certainly.

It helps that I never played Awakening either.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Hmm... Lucina's I guess more of this character for people like me who knew about Awakening. I had hoped for Robin and wanted him badly, but Lucina was someone I hadn't even considered. I could not have even conceived that I'd be excited about her so much, but the fact that she wasn't getting in over Robin or Chrom and was instead added in because of her situation made me super-hyped for her. One of my favorite video game secondary characters was in Smash Bros and I hadn't even thought that she had a shot at all.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, Robin is a "People know they want him as soon as they play FE:A" character.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I actually was not expecting Robin to appear in a Smash Bros. game at all. I was only more interested in seeing either Chrom or Lucina but after seeing their reveal trailer he actually delivered everything I never expected from him: a very unique fighter. I'm really anxious to see how his tomes actually works in his movesets not just from watching the trailer.

Of course, I'm more excited to see Lucina in the game than Robin but this is still pretty amazing stuff nonetheless.

RunawayPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NiftySSB
Lol I had just gotten through FE: Awakening when he was announced, so I wasn't even thinking that any of those characters would be in smash 4

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I will fully admit to this. Having played through Awakening, the Grandmaster became my favorite unit to use. However, I was not thinking about his possible inclusion in SSB. But Lo, and behold, Sakurai throws this curveball. After watching his reveal, I was sold. So, yeah, Robin is indeed the character I didn't know I wanted.

Solar Crimson

Smash Cadet
NNID
SolarCrimson
3DS FC
1504-6082-4629
I am. Before, I liked the idea of Robin being in Smash Bros., but I discarded it as a pipe dream, since I thought that Chrom had a much better chance of being in due to being the face of Awakening.

But now, I'm pretty eager to use Robin, and in the end, I feel that picking Robin over Chrom was the better decision, since Robin has so much more to offer than Chrom did.

Lucina is another story, but she had special circumstances for her inclusion (otherwise, I would not have ever picked her to be in over Chrom).

it's funny how for me it's the exact inverse.

i never though i'd hate a character being playable in smash so much til i got to see Robin
Are you really that bitter that Robin was picked over Chrom?

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
of course, i've been wanting to play as Chrom ever since i first heard about awakening (especially since i had ropes he'd bring some of Roy's dead playstyle)
Sakurai never promised anyone that Chrom was going to be in SSB4, that was the Gematsu leak. Heck, there were people even believing that they weren't even gonna get a Fire Emblem: Awakening representative when Ike was announced a returning veteran and the character roster was created in 2012 the same year Awakening was released in Japan.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Sakurai never promised anyone that Chrom was going to be in SSB4, that was the Gematsu leak. Heck, there were people even believing that they weren't even gonna get a Fire Emblem: Awakening representative when Ike was announced a returning veteran and the character roster was created in 2012 the same year Awakening was released in Japan.
i never said anyone promised anything. i also never believed the gematsu leak.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
In my opinion, Robin is a "People know they want him as soon as they play FE:A" character.
yes im quoting a 3 week old post sue me

This accurately describes my time after the trailer.

Literally, despite his cool factor, he did not appeal due to my unfamiliarity with Fire Emblem. Dismissed as bias on Sakurai's part.

And then I found Awakening dirt cheap, played it, I regret absolutely nothing, and now I want Robin.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
yes im quoting a 3 week old post sue me

This accurately describes my time after the trailer.

Literally, despite his cool factor, he did not appeal due to my unfamiliarity with Fire Emblem. Dismissed as bias on Sakurai's part.

And then I found Awakening dirt cheap, played it, I regret absolutely nothing, and now I want Robin.
Awakening was my first FE game as well, but I played it early on in its lifetime. After playing though it, I found out one thing about Robin: Grandmasters are BADASS. and now they are throwing him into Smash. I'm obviously gonna have a lot of fun playing as him.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I feel like that was the case with a majority of the newcomers this time. Pac-man, miis, WFT, villager, robin, etc. None of them had a **** ton of support like say megaman until people saw gameplay and trailers. Hell most people thought WFT was a goddamn joke until they saw footage and then people started getting used to the idea.

Except for maybe duck hunt dog. He was literally such an odd pick to the point where i don't think anyone is opposed to him being added (moveset depending of course)

Last edited:

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
I never even DREAMED that Robin would be playable, but that's my favorite thing about Sakurai and his team: always full of surprised for Smash. I'd also been thinking that a magic-user from Fire Emblem would be an interesting addition to Smash, and here we are. It's an amazing thing to witness.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Robin was honestly a great surprise to me.

I'm really glad to see a FE character that doesn't just rely on his/her own sword, so either way it was a win-win situation to me. XD

Ravestickman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ravestickman
I have never played a fire emblem game, but when Robin was shown I was super hyped for the character.

Ravestickman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ravestickman
Well. Go play Awakening.
I don't need another 50+ hr rpg in my life right now.... I'm waiting for Hyrule warriors, then I have smash the next week, i'm in no need to get a new game any time soon lol. But I might in the future, I hear it's amazing!

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I don't need another 50+ hr rpg in my life right now.... I'm waiting for Hyrule warriors, then I have smash the next week, i'm in no need to get a new game any time soon lol. But I might in the future, I hear it's amazing!
Probably the best 3DS game so far.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I wanted Robin just as he/she is.

I expected Chrom to be another blue haired sword user from FE to be playable..

So glad they mixed it up.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
Not at all. I played Awakening and was afraid Chrom would be in, which I didn't mind, but Robin topped my most wanted characters list for as long as I can remember. He/she would bring something new to the table and he/she is also a really cool character. I'll be maining him for sure.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I thought it would be interesting to add him/her to the game, but I never thought Sakurai would actually do it.

That said, for almost everyone that hasn't played Awakening, Robin is completely unknown.

Top Bottom