• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is possible to play PM in Wii U with GameCube controller adapter?

Narpas_sword

the tv is still the laggiest component.
The wiiu is still putting out 480p.
There's more to input lag than converting analogue to digital.

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Is it? I thought I'd heard that the Wii U does the signal conversion onboard, which can be faster than most TVs but still takes some time.

Narpas_sword

the signal conversion may be faster, but again, that's not the only factor in input lag.

besides youre not comparing to the tv, you're comparing to a small piece of hardware specifically designed to convert the signal.

wish i had the equipment to test the difference between a component wii and hdmi adapter wii..

Last edited:

Mapet

Smash Cadet
I've done some searching and it seems that there are currently two feasible ways to get a GameCube controller working with PM on Wii U. The first is to mod the controller with Classic Controller parts to plug into the Wii remote ( as seen in this guide http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/173781/basic-guide-to-mod-a-gamecube-controller-with-a-wii-classic-controller-pcb )

The second is to buy the Hori Battle Pad. From all the reviews I've read and watched, it's a very good controller and has the bonus of working -, home, and ZL buttons. The L and R buttons are digital, but PM has no light shielding so that shouldn't be an issue.

Here's the controller:

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
Last edited:

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
Ah yes, I forgot about it. I didn't consider it because I read that there is a noticeable amount of input lag. The two methods I mentioned, I believe, will have the least lag to deal with.
I honestly don't believe that. The adapter works great for me, I have never experienced any lag. It's just like playing PM on an original Wii via a built-in GCC port.

Even if there is lag, I haven't noticed it. Also, both of your methods would have the same amount of lag, as they do the same thing: trick the Wii U/Wii into thinking that the GC controller is a classic controller, except the Hori controller which is literally a classic controller.
So you get the same amount of lag as a classic controller (if there even is any).

I highly recommend Mayflash's 1-port adapter to anyone who wants to play PM on a Wii U or Wii Family Edition.

Last edited:

Mapet

Smash Cadet
If someone more knowledgeable on the subject could correct me, that would be great. But it's my understanding that since the Mayflash has to "translate" the inputs so the Wii remote can use them, there will be lag no matter what, moreso than any lag that exists with the methods I mentioned. Those should have as much lag as using a regular classic controller since there's no "translating" going on. As far as their insides go, they're classic controllers.

Whether or not the Mayflash lag as any noticeable effect on gameplay, I don't know. It's good to hear that you have no issues, but I have seen some rather negative reviews mentioning responsiveness issues.

Sorry if this sounds defensive or anything. I just want people to know what their options are and what the pros and cons associated with them are.

Of course, none of this would be an issue if someone managed to get the GCN adaptor to work in vWii.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I know that there was a homebrew gig people were doing on the wiiu that let you virtualize things like classic and even PS2 controllers as gamecube controllers...

actually, yeah. https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/#Controllers

Already compatible USB-HID controllers
The following USB-HID gamepads and adapters are working and included in Nintendont:
  • Official WiiU GameCube Controller Adapter [WUP-028] - Supports 4 players and rumble on Wii and WiiU. Supports Gamecube controller, Wavebird, Dance mat, bongo, probably all official controllers too.
  • All third parties Wii U GameCube Controller Adapter clones
nintendont will take your gamecube adapter and turn it into a proper gamecube controller for wii usage, go check that stuff out

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
As we've gone over already, Nintendont only works for Gamecube games, not Wii games. Not compatible with PM.

Mapet

Smash Cadet
So I picked up the Hori Battle Pad, and I think it's the best option for those playing PM on a Wii U. It feels very extremely similar to a GCN controller, with only tiny differences. One of those being weight. The controller is very light due to the lack of rumble. I solved this simply by opening it up and hot-gluing some metal nuts into the space where the rumble motor would go.

Additionally, this controller has a turbo option, which is a godsend if you're trying to unlock all custom moves in Smash 4. I'd recommend the controller if you have either game.

Candypants

Smash Cadet
There's a gamecube controller adapter that you can buy that goes into the wiimote.

Mapet

Smash Cadet
There's a gamecube controller adapter that you can buy that goes into the wiimote.

Yes, that is mentioned earlier in the thread. However, it seems that many people using these sort of adaptors notice input lag, which make them unusable for Smash.

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
So I picked up the Hori Battle Pad, and I think it's the best option for those playing PM on a Wii U. It feels very extremely similar to a GCN controller, with only tiny differences. One of those being weight. The controller is very light due to the lack of rumble. I solved this simply by opening it up and hot-gluing some metal nuts into the space where the rumble motor would go.

Additionally, this controller has a turbo option, which is a godsend if you're trying to unlock all custom moves in Smash 4. I'd recommend the controller if you have either game.
I have an older model (mine doesn't have turbo >.>), it works well but the thumb pads get worn pretty quickly from what I've heard.
Another benefit of it is that it's emulating a Wii Classic Controller, so you can use it to navigate the Wii Menu.

drewilliam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hollowords
So as of now, Smash for Wii U and Nintendont are the only things that support the gamecube controller adapter?

(So gamecube games and Smash Wii U are the only games possible to play on the Wii U with gamecube controllers?)

Mapet

Smash Cadet
As far as I'm aware, yes. PM 3.6's launcher added support, but not for the game itself which is pretty pointless.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Don't know if there is a more recent thread with this topic or not. Any updates on this topic in the future would be greatly appreciated. My Wii just imploded, so I want to use my Wii U for PM. The Hori Battle Pad seems to be my best bet until the adapter can be implemented.

Last edited:

DualX

Smash Apprentice
Any advancements in this area? I would love to turn my Wii U into a PM/S4 Melee HD machine.

Top Bottom