• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

is possible to play PM in Wii U with GameCube controller adapter?

Zecron

Smash Rookie
just what the tittle says, is possible to play PM in Wii U with GameCube controller adapter? I know that is possible to play PM, but with the new adapter is possible to play it with a GameCube controller as well?

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
just what the tittle says, is possible to play PM in Wii U with GameCube controller adapter? I know that is possible to play PM, but with the new adapter is possible to play it with a GameCube controller as well?
It sounds like you just answered your own question when asking. I'd assume yes.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
from everything i've heard: no, you cannot play pm with the gc adaptor on the wiiu. it currently only works with smash4.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Cory is correct. At the current moment GCC Adapter only works for Smash4 and nothing else.
Which is really dumb considering that several games are already programmed with the GC controller in mind. You'd think that Nintendo would want to maximize the usefulness of it's product to give people more incentive to buy it. Hopefully they patch it or something later.

Naggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
OfficialFelon
They also really want to promote sm4sh above everything else. Considering Brawl is strongly tied to Project M now, they might not want to add that functionality on their newest console.

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
I know its not about the thread per se, but can anyone confirm/deny if it works for PC, specifically dolphin. Not having buy mayflash and this would be ideal.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
They also really want to promote sm4sh above everything else. Considering Brawl is strongly tied to Project M now, they might not want to add that functionality on their newest console.
Brawl isn't the only Wii game that supports a GC controller. Besides, there are plenty of people who play Brawl who haven't even heard of PM or play it.

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
someone would need to write drivers.
Things dont just plug and play unless they're designed to.
This. It doesn't work maybe someone will do it down the line but, the WiiUs modding capabilities are relatively non-existent at the moment

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
Ironically, me being able to play Project M on the Wii-U would help motivate me to go ahead and buy it. I don't feel like having multiple consoles hooked up to my TV, and Project M is something I want to play regularly.

Last edited:

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Agree with Paquito. I'd -almost- being willing to get WiiU for Smash4... except I already have a Wii for P:M, and I can't really get myself to spend more for the WiiU atm... just for one game. Sucks too, because I like what I see, but I am poor enough that I make decisions like these... :c

If the WiiU were able to be my go-to console for both, I could return this and just get that and the adapter, but what can you do?

Schoom

Smash Rookie
I agree with everyone above. It would really help me out if they got the adaptor to work because my wii broke and I can only use my wii u.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
from everything i've heard: no, you cannot play pm with the gc adaptor on the wiiu. it currently only works with smash4.
Adapter only works for Smash Wii U, not any other game, and it's $90.

I mean this just sounds stupid.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
For compatibility with PM on Wii U, you'd have to leave it up to the homebrew community to write drivers for the Wii to accept inputs from the adapter. Could take a while too since the adapter probably has to be reverse engineered. But as soon as someone reverse engineers it, it's only a matter of time before someone writes the drivers for Wii/PC.

Bleck

Smash Master
The adapter only works with Smash 4 because the Wii U doesn't natively support the adapter itself - it's marketed as only being for Smash 4 because Smash 4 is so far the only game that exists that actually supports it. Any previous software (Wii U games and Virtual Console stuff) or hardware (the Wii U itself) will require a patch to support it, and any new games coming out will require specific coding as such.

The Virtual Wii that the Wii U uses to play Wii games emulates the functions of the Wii exactly, not the hardware of the Wii U itself - this is why you can't use the Wii U Gamepad or the Pro Controller to play Wii games, and why you can't use the Gamecube controller adapter. Retroactively adding support for these things would not only require a significant firmware patch (which would be feasible), but a patch to the games that you're trying to play (which would not be feasible).

putnamto

Smash Rookie
i disagree bleck, all nintendo would need to do is send out a patch that makes the vWii see the adaptor as the four GCN ports from the wii, then all of your vWii games would work with your GCN pad,

Dekrem

Smash Cadet
FYI, someone has already released a driver for Windows. Directions for installation and other discussion in the reddit thread here.

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
wonder if the Hori fight controllers would work since they plug direct to the wii u? No need for the adapter. Someone on amazon said it works with brawl.

Last edited:

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Is it possible for the Project M development team to make 3.6 compatible with the GameCube controller adapter when playing on the Wii U?

NiZMO LS1

Smash Cadet
I thought I was the only one who was PM'ing on WiiU!
Please PMDT?! Im going through batterys like crazy(wiimote>mayflash>GCC)

Narpas_sword

I highly doubt it's something PMDT can just stick in their build and have work...
Especially not for hackless.

As it's own homebrew app, maybe.

but coding isn't a bunch of neatly labeled switches that some guy just turns on and off.
"oh you want wiiu gcn support, k, *switch*"

NiZMO LS1

Smash Cadet
I highly doubt it's something PMDT can just stick in their build and have work...
Especially not for hackless.

As it's own homebrew app, maybe.

but coding isn't a bunch of neatly labeled switches that some guy just turns on and off.
"oh you want wiiu gcn support, k, *switch*"
Not doubting the long arduous process this would take.

But would it not behoove PMDT to garner more interest to PM by making it so WiiU's could be used in tourneys? Not to mention making it more popular to some i.e. "you guys ready for that tourney at so and so's house? He's running PM on a 82" screen off his wiiU".

I sure wish coding worked like a switch though!! LOL *buys another pack of Energizer lithiums*

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I'm really disappointed that Nintendo hasn't taken the initiative to make Wii games that support the GameCube controller (e.g. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii) work with the GC Controller Adapter on the Wii U.

Even though I own a Wii U, I still keep my backwards compatible Wii connected to my TV for Brawl/Project M. This also allows me to play my N64 era Virtual Console games with the GameCube controller which is really nice when I'm feeling nostalgic for Smash64.

Last edited:

Mapet

Smash Cadet
Is there any homebrew dev out there who is known to be working on this sort of feature? It seems that eveyone wants it but I haven't heard a peep from anyone with any authority on the subject that it's happening.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I'm really disappointed that Nintendo hasn't taken the initiative to make Wii games that support the GameCube controller (e.g. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii) work with the GC Controller Adapter on the Wii U.
That's exactly why Nintendo won't do it, they want you to go play Smash 4 and MK8. They're not going to work on a feature that people are only ever going to use for PM.

himemiya

Smash Lord
Which is really dumb considering that several games are already programmed with the GC controller in mind. You'd think that Nintendo would want to maximize the usefulness of it's product to give people more incentive to buy it. Hopefully they patch it or something later.
They want to enforce the gimmicky motion controllers and at the sametime want people to have a reason to get smash4 so thats mostly why.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
That's exactly why Nintendo won't do it, they want you to go play Smash 4 and MK8. They're not going to work on a feature that people are only ever going to use for PM.
It's not like people won't play those games if the adapter could support Wii games. Hell, make it compatible with games like MK8 and WW HD too. That would just give people more reason to buy the adapter, which would make Nintendo more money.

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
It'd be reeeeaaallly nice to have adapter support for PM. This weekend, I bought brawl so I could use the exploit to get the homebrew channel. I now have melee (and 20XX) on my Wii U, along with other GC games thanks to Nintendont.

The GC adapter works with Nintendont, which is amazing. There must be a way to implement it into PM. I can play Sm4sh and melee on my Wii U. I HAVE Project M on my Wii U, but I can't even use it because the GC adapter doesn't work with it. Disappointing...

You want to play melee? We can play melee. Want to play Sm4sh? We can play Sm4sh. You want 20XX? We can do 20XX. 64? Yea man, I've got 64 as well.

Project M? Nope... Gotta get a Wii for that...

I'm so close to having the ultimate tourney setup, all with one console ;-;

Mapet

Smash Cadet
I HAVE Project M on my Wii U, but I can't even use it because the GC adapter doesn't work with it. Disappointing...

You want to play melee? We can play melee. Want to play Sm4sh? We can play Sm4sh. You want 20XX? We can do 20XX. 64? Yea man, I've got 64 as well.

Project M? Nope... Gotta get a Wii for that...
How are you able to play Smash 64 using the adapter?

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
How are you able to play Smash 64 using the adapter?
A friend of mine has his own personal wii64 fork that he uses that has HID support, he made it himself. Thing is, you need the mayflash adapter so you can change the switch to PC mode. I'm not sure he wants to release it, I'm not sure why.

EDIT: I think it's because the emulator has so-so performance in the first place.

Last edited:

Roxas215

Smash Lord
PM on Wii U would bring so many people back to PM near me. PM practically died because no one feels like carrying around a CRT anymore. Luckily for me i have a computer good enough to run dolphin so i have netplay. But still. Would love to have a local scene again.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

PM on Wii U would bring so many people back to PM near me. PM practically died because no one feels like carrying around a CRT anymore. Luckily for me i have a computer good enough to run dolphin so i have netplay. But still. Would love to have a local scene again.
http://www.neoya.com/wii2hdmi

The wiiu isnt going to make your tv any less laggy than an adapter.

Thamauturge

Smash Apprentice
Every time I visit Smashboards, I keep hoping to see a thread about how they finally got the Wii U Adapter to work for Project M, and I'm always disappointed haha. It's kind of annoying that I essentially only need a Wii for Project M, considering the Wii U makes it obsolete in most every other way.

I sure hope that they get it to work eventually.

Top Bottom