• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Oil Panic Overpowered?

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
I was recently playing with some friends in Smash 4, and I was using Mr. Game and Watch. The topic of his Oil Panic move came up as I was getting one-hit kills with it due to one of them going random, getting Samus, and me catching a fully charged plasma shot. They claim that it's overpowered because it's hard to punish with how powerful it is and a move shouldn't be able to just shut out projectiles. I claim that it isn't overpowered because it only works with energy projectiles and if you have a character that can use energy projectiles, then using those moves is a stupid idea. I'm now wondering, is Oil Panic an overpowered move?

BBC7

Smash Ace
I was recently playing with some friends in Smash 4, and I was using Mr. Game and Watch. The topic of his Oil Panic move came up as I was getting one-hit kills with it due to one of them going random, getting Samus, and me catching a fully charged plasma shot. They claim that it's overpowered because it's hard to punish with how powerful it is and a move shouldn't be able to just shut out projectiles. I claim that it isn't overpowered because it only works with energy projectiles and if you have a character that can use energy projectiles, then using those moves is a stupid idea. I'm now wondering, is Oil Panic an overpowered move?
No, if you didn't read the fact that he shot out a Plasma Shot, you would've taken a hit and probably died at higher percents. The whole point of it being hard to punish and powerful is to encourage the other play to not use projectiles as much. Not to mention that with smaller projectiles, the Bucket has noticeable lag when catching a projectile and is basically a free hit.

jsqrc

Smash Rookie
Oil Panic isn't that overpowered because you're bound to take a hit from the end lag on a bucket if you don't fully charge it. There's also a small amount of lag before the bucket becomes effective and some lag when putting the bucket away. If you're playing someone like Megaman, then it might be overpowered because you can just walk off stage and bucket the sticky bomb for a free stack. I wouldn't say it's overpowered in any case, but it can be used as a viable alternative to the shield in given circumstances.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Oil Panic isn't that overpowered because you're bound to take a hit from the end lag on a bucket if you don't fully charge it. There's also a small amount of lag before the bucket becomes effective and some lag when putting the bucket away. If you're playing someone like Megaman, then it might be overpowered because you can just walk off stage and bucket the sticky bomb for a free stack. I wouldn't say it's overpowered in any case, but it can be used as a viable alternative to the shield in given circumstances.
Nah, attempts to bucket the lemons will give MM a free U-Tilt.

X3I

Smash Apprentice
There isn't only pellets. He is right, actually.

jsqrc

Smash Rookie
I said it could be potentially overpowered because you're able to get free charges without much chance of getting punished for it, compared to other projectiles from the rest of the characters. If you're bucketing pellets or f-smash you're bound to get punished for it, so I wouldn't bother trying to bucket those unless you're at like 2 charges already.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Anyone here know if Ness' PK Flash fills up the Bucket all the way with one take? Or do you need to do it three times for it to be filled all the way?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Pikachu's thunder was just overpowered with the bucket

The move itself is fine and works as it's supposed to but getting ultra buckets off a move that requires no charge or startup and controls a large portion of the stage and area above was kinda stupid.

PK Flash is fine, if the opponents are letting you sit there and get PK Flash buckets they deserve to get hit with it.

Top Bottom