• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Nintendo losing respect as a company?

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
I hate it when people compare Mario with something like COD or FIFA. Especially when they use NEW Super Mario Bros. series. Why? 1. It's not yearly and secondly you don't have 2 releases on the console. You only have like 4 titles on 4 different consoles:
NSMB 2006
NSMBWii 2009
NSMB2 2012
NSMBU 2012
And they're not gonna release NSMB3 or NSMBU2 for 3ds or Wii U respectively. So the next title we'll get is probably 2017/2018 minimum. A difference of 5-6 years.

Also we've barely got a sequel of a game on the same console, in fact the only ones I can think of is Super Mario Galaxy, Bowser Inside Story which is barely similar to Partners in time, and Mario ,sonic at the Olympic games whom sega are in charge of and Mario party which we only had 2 games on the wii and one on the DS (The whole "Mario has too many sequels " thing started in the end of the seventh generation). Oh and after all of that, not many care about Fifa yearly releases and COD ones.

Though I do agree Mario titles should be minimized for the other Nintendo titles that barely get any.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yahtzee is an entertainer, not a game critic. He outright admits the only reason why he bashes most games is because people like it. Everything he has to say should be taken with a grain of salt.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Nintendo is losing respect only cause they higher ups are disconnected from the gaming world. As seen which banning videos of nintendo gameplay to be used to make money (lets play), the almost banning of melee from being a tourney event at evo, and with how they don't even want to talk to other companies about giving streaming rights (mlg).

They think youtube is a pirate site... Lol

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Nintendo is losing respect only cause they higher ups are disconnected from the gaming world. As seen which banning videos of nintendo gameplay to be used to make money (lets play), the almost banning of melee from being a tourney event at evo, and with how they don't even want to talk to other companies about giving streaming rights (mlg).

They didn't ban youtube video's...

finalark

SNORLAX

They don't take down videos with their content in it, they just say that people aren't allowed to make money on them. Besides, this is an outdated point. They went back on it a few months ago and simply don't enforce that policy anymore.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Nintendo seems to get bashed on a lot by a lot of people in my high school, but to me, it will always be a good company. I believe they aren't doing as well as they could be doing, but what keeps me with them, are games like Pokemon, Mario, and Smash. Without those, I'd probably never touch a Wii U/3DS

finalark

SNORLAX

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
This is the single most self-explanatory post I've ever seen.

On the offhand, the other reason why I don't really listen to his points is due to how he outright contridicts himself sometimes. For example, he trashed Mario Galaxy 2 pretty hard in his review of it, but then turned around and said he thought it was good in an article.
Article? Context? I tried googling but only came up with his escapist article that continued to bash Super Mario Galaxy 2 as being an added map hack. If we are evaluating Nintendo as having respect with respect to the console gaming industry then there isn't much to worry about since console gaming is usually a huge let down after the hype and fan fare put into the market for games and gaming systems respectively. Yahtzee's video simply points out that Sony's inability to come out with hardline specs for its next gen system and Microsoft's extremely restricted game play environment forcing the Kinect to be accompanied to the system even when the game has no use for the Kinect for game play. Not to mention Microsoft's restrictions on used games which although it was rescinded, displays how out of touch the console market is with actual gamers. The video also shows that concern about one system relative to the other two is senseless if you can afford to buy all three of them. However, the truth is that people have brand loyalty since they are more than likely economically restricted to be faithful to only one gaming system. It boils down to becoming not an issue of who has the best system, but one of individual poverty and the inability to simply purchase all the gaming systems and respective games without any problems.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
I'd say Nintendo is losing respect as a game console, but the case is not unique to them.

Honestly, in my opinion, will probably be the worst console generation of our time. and considering the previous (Is it safe to call Wii/PS3/360 previous gen now?) generation, that's saying something.

The only console I brought from this generation was the Wii, and that hasn't been touched ever since my Smash copy got hammered by a freak TV accident.

Unfortunately, it seems both games and console developers only ever consider the profit margin and how much the product can be franchised, rather than how much of a great game and game system it is. Over the past generation, I have not seen a single game released that was ever ground breaking, or shattered the gaming mold. Unfortunately games like Goldeneye, Banjo-Kazooie and Halo, are never developed because all companies want to do now is make a profit, and stupid AAA development has destroyed the motion of any risk taking. the last AAA game I ever played that truly dared to stand out an innovate was Call of duty: Modern Warfare and look at where that franchise is now.

Now look at the current gen consoles, WiiU is struggling to stay alive, XBone has had to do a complete 180 on just about all it's policies for it not to be dead on arrival, and the PS4 has shown absolutely nothing about any of it's franchises. The console reveal showed there was absolutely nothing of value, these crappy presentations spent all their time talking about useless and unnecessary feature which I doubt 90% of it's player base would use (Kinect, and "share" buttons etc). They new they had nothing new of value to show, and just tried to throw glitter in our eyes and hope we don't see the **** from the stars.

Honestly I'm almost hoping for this this generation to just be a complete flop, then hopefully these guys will get it in their thick skulls that the main driving force of there consumer base are games, and the only way to keep thier consumer base happy is to release new, fresh and well developed products, which have we can play with no stupid strings attached and no stupid hoops to jump though. As of right now, I am sick of AAA and console developers spend more money on advertisement than developing and producing the game, and it shames me to see that 2-12 person development teams working in their garages, are consistency developing more worthwhile and memorable games, than multi-million dollar AA developers with teams of 200 or more.

[/rant]

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Totally NOT, don't let the critics or game analysers fool you, they are paid to talk s*** about Nintendo.
But yeah the only thing is that Nintendo haven't give us a new F-Zero or Star Fox yet.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Over the past generation, I have not seen a single game released that was ever ground breaking, or shattered the gaming mold.

I could list a whole bunch of other examples but it seems you've somehow forgotten about the greatest game of this (last?) gen.

On topic, Nintendo isn't losing respect. It's all already gone. They're basically the joke of the industry now. See Wii U sales for reference.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Call me saltey, but I didn't find anything really that unique or entertaining about that game except for the whole "Iz s00pa hard guize" fanbosim that came from it...

Sedda

Smash Champion
Call me saltey, but I didn't find anything really that unique or entertaining about that game except for the whole "Iz s00pa hard guize" fanbosim that came from it...
The "difficult" aspect of the Souls series has hardly anything to do with it imo. People are finally catching up to all of the literary prowess lying on its dialogue and environments.
Some of the fanboyism surrounding the difficulty has gotten annoying these last two years, but Dark Souls remains to be the most difficult, while fairest, game of the last generation.

ZelDan

Smash Master

I could list a whole bunch of other examples but it seems you've somehow forgotten about the greatest game of this (last?) gen.

On topic, Nintendo isn't losing respect. It's all already gone. They're basically the joke of the industry now. See Wii U sales for reference.

Speaking generally, I find it funny how anyone could consider Nintendo a joke, considering the fact that NIntendo still to this day makes very well-received, critically acclaimed games (two of the most recent examples being Super Mario 3D world and A Link between Worlds) and has made a handheld that is doing absolutely fantastic, both in terms of sales and game library.

The Wii U has been struggling quite a bit and has been poorly handled by Nintendo, but I would not say that makes Nintendo a joke. if we are going to go with that logic, then we might as well consider Sony a joke too because the Vita has been struggling alot as well, and for longer than the Wii U has been. And while Microsoft hasn't really announced a struggling system AFAIK (haven't checked the Xbox One's sales), Microsoft was the target of much hatred and bashing after the Xbox one reveal.

Nintendo does some stupid sh*t, but the other 2 certainly have their f*ck-ups as well, which I why I would never really consider any of the big 3 a "joke."

JediLink

Smash Ace
Speaking generally, I find it funny how anyone could consider Nintendo a joke, considering the fact that NIntendo still to this day makes very well-received, critically acclaimed games (two of the most recent examples being Super Mario 3D world and A Link between Worlds) and has made a handheld that is doing absolutely fantastic, both in terms of sales and game library.

The Wii U has been struggling quite a bit and has been poorly handled by Nintendo, but I would not say that makes Nintendo a joke. if we are going to go with that logic, then we might as well consider Sony a joke too because the Vita has been struggling alot as well, and for longer than the Wii U has been. And while Microsoft hasn't really announced a struggling system AFAIK (haven't checked the Xbox One's sales), Microsoft was the target of much hatred and bashing after the Xbox one reveal.

Nintendo does some stupid sh*t, but the other 2 certainly have their f*ck-ups as well, which I why I would never really consider any of the big 3 a "joke."
Relevant: http://mynintendonews.com/2013/12/2...th-laughter-when-asked-about-a-wii-u-version/

Obviously none of us here on Smashboards have anything against Nintendo, but you have to face it that we're a minority. Nintendo's been losing supporters ever since the NES. The SNES sold worse than the NES, the 64 worse than that, and the Gamecube worse again. Everyone jumped ship to Sony because they were the next cool thing. They made serious consoles, not weird purple lunchboxes. The Wii was an anomaly but the Wii U has continued the trend. In the mainstream eye, the Wii U is for kids, not a real console like the PS4 and Xbone. That's why I say they've lost all respect.

Yes, it's true Nintendo still makes fantastic games. I bought ALBW at launch and I wasn't disappointed. I've yet to play SM3DW myself but it looks incredible. However, even Nintendo's flagship franchises like Mario are on the way out in terms of popularity. All the kids are into Minecraft now. They only thing they really have left with that kind of power is Pokemon.

As for the handheld market, yes, it's true that the 3DS is doing like 10x better than the Vita. Perhaps I should say that Nintendo is the joke of the console industry. There's a whole bunch of reasons why the 3DS is working while the Wii U isn't, but that's another discussion.

ZelDan

Smash Master
as far as mainstream perception goes, Nintendo has indeed been the joke in the console industry, although they've been that way since the N64.

It is an unfortunate pickle for Nintendo and one I do not know if they can recover from.

Top Bottom