• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Marth's OOS really that bad?

dinn3rr

Smash Cadet
IMO I really don't think Marth's OOS is that bad.
1)Ridiculous Grab
2)Fair OOS
3)Dair OOS
4)UpB OOS
5)WD OOS

The list goes on. I think Marth's biggest problem is KOing past higher percents.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Thread title basically. Idk Marth has the best non tether grab range and when opp. is at high % you can reverse up b. Shield pressure isn't that good these days either and good players can see through it (like looking for the wavedash when Fox is doing shine shield pressure). Anyone disagree with me? I feel like Marth has far worse problems than OOS, like KOing past 100% or trying to land while being juggled and comboed.

Edit: If no one wants to post on this thread that's OK. If anyone has the power to i'd recommend locking the thread I guess...
He does have problems getting kill setups past 100%, and he does have problems when he's in the air.

OOS though, hm, there are definitely worse, but thinking about it, out of the top 8, Marth is probably at the lower end. His grab reaches far, but it's iffy when a spacie is very consistent with deep shield pressure since its reach is in front of Marth and not in his center. The back of Marth's shield is a particular deadzone, the best counter option he has is bair OOS which is slow enough that it gets stuffed by a lot of moves, then Marth gets hit in the air, juggle, killed, blah blah blah.

This is compared to space animals who have shine OOS and really fast OOS aerials and Peach/Sheik with fast nairs OOS. IC's might have less options OOS, but have two shields and threat of wobbling to curb shield pressure. Puff also might have less options OOS, it's just hard to catch her shielding and doing anything to her even if she does shield (if you don't have a grab -> kill setup). Falcon is about as similarly bad OOS, having less reliable options, but probably punishing way harder if he hits something like stomp OOS.

I think Marth's OOS is bad in that he's in mad danger whenever he's in shield, because he's vulnerable to getting grabbed (leads to death) or knocked out of any one of his aerial OOS options (leads to death). In addition, his grab is vulnerable to very deep shield pressure because it has long reach but literally only in front of him. His shield also does not cover him very well, so shield poking becomes relevant very quickly if he stays too long in shield.

WD OOS is by far his most reliable OOS option IMO. It repositions Marth quickly and gets him back where he's most comfortable, which is dash-dancing and moving, not shielding or getting juggled.

Top Bottom