• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Marth still viable?

I've been hearing a lot of negative things about my main, Marth in Smash 4. Is he really that bad? Should I find a new main if I want to play competitively? He's by far my favorite character and I can't imagine playing as anyone else, but if he really isn't viable for competitive play anymore, I'm not going to waste my time with him.

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
He's not easy. You need to put forth the effort; but trust me, it's worth it. He's extremely satisfying to use. You can't ignore that tippers exist and just say "Oh cool." when they hit, you need to be accurate and always have them in your thought process while playing. He's still fast, he still has a sword, and he's still ****ing fabulous.

I know this gets thrown around a lot, but every character in Smash 4 is viable, really. Marth is so far from the worst, let alone unviable.

And please, for the love of god, don't try Lucina as training wheels. It literally does not help you play Marth to his advantages at all, and makes you more acquainted with a character that is inferior in almost every way (in my opinion); thus creating bad habits that will be hard to shake out.

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Yes, he's still viable. There is a video somewhere of Mr. E vs. M2K, and M2K's diddy (currently diddy is revered best in the game) gets trashed. Like heavy. Mr. E plays Marth the whole time.

He requires more effort than before, and a lot more thinking, but he's still crazy good. He's definitely a high tier character, I can see middle/low of top tier. But the meta is still young, and plenty is still being discovered.

Does he still have a spike?
Yes. But the spike hitbox is smaller, now only directly below him on the dair. However, he has many more viable options to make up for it. Like dolphin slash or bair stage spiking.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
I've been hearing a lot of negative things about my main, Marth in Smash 4. Is he really that bad? Should I find a new main if I want to play competitively? He's by far my favorite character and I can't imagine playing as anyone else, but if he really isn't viable for competitive play anymore, I'm not going to waste my time with him.
There's character loyalty for ya ^^"

I'm sure everyone else covered all the bases, so in short, yes, he is still quite viable xD

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You probably won't win a major with him. You could probably place well with no enough dedication. If you don't have that kind of dedication then you should switch characters.

It truly depends on what you mean by the word, viable.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Marth is going through the same thing as MK, because MK is no longer broken people drop him this community is plagued by tier whores. The moment people noticed Marth not being top 10 like his past incarnations people are quick to drop him.

Yes he is viable i can name other characters that Marth has no trouble beating that are in tournaments and getting decent results out of it. But sadly since Diddy is in almost every tourney now i don't think you'll be able to win with Marth alone its best to have a secondary that counters Marths weaknesses, but overall he is viable just like almost every character in the game due to the solid balance namco provided.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Yeah he's good. Once you kind or wrap your fingers around what it's like to play as him, you can do pretty well with him.

It can be hard at times to win but he's still got the tools that made him great in the past two games.

I ReZo I

Smash Rookie
He is still viable.

His side smash range is decreased, increased recovery frames on his air attacks, namely his fAir(causes Ken combo to be unreliable and difficult like mentioned above), relies heavily on throws now that his air game is weaker than it used to be, his "shield breaker" neutral B is garbage now. At least they didn't change his dolphin slash.

Unless there is game changing tech found in the future, that exceedingly helps Marth, You won't win a major with him, but you could place top 10 if you are dedicated

Last edited:

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
I main Marth and Rosalina, and i can pretty much say they complete each other. Dedede wrecks Rosalina but Marth kills Dedede effortlessly. Same goes for Link, a bad matchup for Marth, Rosalina deals with him very well. So in my opinion, main Marth and another (i suggest you to main one of those highest tier characters since unfortunately they have advantage over others), so you will not have a problem.

Marth is amazing, as you already know anyway.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Marth is going through the same thing as MK, because MK is no longer broken people drop him this community is plagued by tier *****s. The moment people noticed Marth not being top 10 like his past incarnations people are quick to drop him.
While sort of correct, this is an overly cynical way to phrase it. Character loyalists aside, people are more likely to favor a characters with a strong combination of playstyle synergy and quality of options. The stronger the combination of the two, the greater one's enjoyment of that character. In Melee and Brawl Marth was not just one of the best in each game, but one of the best at his own game. That's less true now, and the devs implemented a lot of purposeful limiting in his kit that also messes with the "flow" he was so well known for (hence occasional mention of feeling "clunky"). It's only natural that players and especially competitive players would explore alternative options in such a situation.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
While sort of correct, this is an overly cynical way to phrase it. Character loyalists aside, people are more likely to favor a characters with a strong combination of playstyle synergy and quality of options. The stronger the combination of the two, the greater one's enjoyment of that character. In Melee and Brawl Marth was not just one of the best in each game, but one of the best at his own game. That's less true now, and the devs implemented a lot of purposeful limiting in his kit that also messes with the "flow" he was so well known for (hence occasional mention of feeling "clunky"). It's only natural that players and especially competitive players would explore alternative options in such a situation.
Of course you'd disagree since your one of the people who jumped ship, to each their own im saying it how i see it be it cynical or not.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I wouldn't still be in here if I dropped Marth. Same as how my other flairs give no indication of any other characters I play in those games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom