• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Luigi an easy character to play?

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
Is luigi an easy character? I hear alot of people saying he takes no skill to play.

I feel like he is a character that people can easily pick up and do some combos with. However Ive played people online that can do these basic combos but just arent very good at doing anything else with the character.

Thoughts?

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I think he's really easy to play with. There's literally no unique Luigi players (and Ness players) anymore on For Glory, so just spectating a Luigi match is literally all you need to learn Down Throw -> F Air -> F Air can net you a pretty good combo with a good amount of damage. I see the same exact strings and combos being executed by Luigi players every time I face one, and I am hoping one day I discover he has some versatility rather than his basic combos apparently known worldwide.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Luigi is, of and by far, the easiest to pick up and just do damage with... However killing with him is much harder and takes a lot more skill..

louie g

Smash Journeyman
It depends on the matchup. Some characters are easy to approach and hysterically pathetic to combos, other characters can be the complete opposite. Luigi himself is easy to pick up, but he still takes skill.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Also take into consideration his awful movement speed and bad traction that may throw people off.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
He's easy to pick up, just need to get used to his bad traction. He's good at racking up damage too.

:231:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Luigi is not an easy character to play at an effective level right off the bat.

Anyone can go "herp-a-derp D-throw > F-air!" and reap reward, but against someone that knows what they're doing vs Luigi you have to know how to utilize fireball zoning and and what to do if you can't grab your opponent. That's where every Luigi bandwagoner falls apart.

sims796

Smash Cadet
Easy to play, tough to master, like Mario. A few characters are like that, where characters like Rosalina are difficult to play as without a period of adjusting.

TriTails

Smash Lord
He isn't easy to learn.

Bad movement and traction makes everyone who wants to learn him has to endure a character who plays really different from other characters.

Shieldgrab? NOPE! You're getting pushed around too far bud!
Up-B OoS (Not PS'd)? NOPE! Using Luigi's SJP as an OoS option is a big no-no unless you PS or the attack is really weak.
Chase characters around? NOPE! You're not playing as Falcon or Sonic.
Easy recovery like other characters? NOPE! Feel the pain of Cyclone mashing.
Space with D-tilt? NOPE! The thing's got bad range and bad end lag.

Yep, not easy to learn. If people say that 'All you need to do is down throw double F-air' then ask them how to kill, how to recover, how to punish OoS, etc, etc.

Personal experiece from me though. I picked up SSB4 Luigi when SSB4 is the first official Smash game I have ever played (SSF2 doesn't count), and boy, like, darnit, he is hard to use.

But maybe it's just me that isn't all that good with picking up characters.

ZestE

Smash Cadet
Luigi is not a free character to pick up and succeed with. People claim that you just need to know the $2slices (Dthrow-fair-fair), but if you're too dependent on Luigi's grab, any decent player will catch on and play to your disadvantage.

There are some things you need to get used to like his poor aerial mobility, poor traction, and awkward shield, most specifically the latter. A lot of people will try to punish a OoS over and over before they remember that he slides further than most in shield, leading to some ugly situations.

Luigi is, of and by far, the easiest to pick up and just do damage with... However killing with him is much harder and takes a lot more skill..
I find this statement to be a little blunt and debatable. He does have a good combo game, but outside his grabs you have to start getting creative and technical. Luigi becomes very dependent on DI reads after 2-3 hits. Also, killing with him isn't "much harder" than a standard character. His smashes are all great. His head is intangible during Usmash, his Fsmash comes out pretty fast and can be stutter stepped to increase range (plus when angled, either kills super early or sets up for a nice, low edgeguard), and Dsmash has a nice slide out of walk and has some good utility overall. Add on the Dthrow-> nair or cyclone for ceiling kills, lucky misfires, and well-mixed up Fire Jump Punches and you can net some pretty nasty, early kills.

Overall though I'd say it's fair to state you can net damage with Luigi pretty well if you just picked him up, but learning his nuances, his movement, options, and truly devastating abilities requires commitment- much more than a couple games.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with a lot of the responses to this thread. Sure, he's easy to play if you want to play like an idiot. If you read up on some basic comboes, you can rack up damage pretty quickly. But to master him is somewhat different. Luigi is extremely unpredictable and versatile when played well. Unfortunately, a lot of Luigi mains just stick to the same basic attack patterns. If you do that, then you'll get punished by most comptetent players.

sims796

Smash Cadet
I disagree with a lot of the responses to this thread. Sure, he's easy to play if you want to play like an idiot. If you read up on some basic comboes, you can rack up damage pretty quickly. But to master him is somewhat different. Luigi is extremely unpredictable and versatile when played well. Unfortunately, a lot of Luigi mains just stick to the same basic attack patterns. If you do that, then you'll get punished by most comptetent players.
That's...what most of the posts here say.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is much easier to see success with at low- to mid-level play than most other characters. At higher levels of play, Luigi takes precision and incredible skill -- pretty much like any character, I guess. Factor in jumpless rising cyclone and you have arguably the most technically demanding character to play optimally. I mean, anybody can master perfect pivoting in a few days, but how many people can JR cyclone?

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Yes. Anyone braindead can pick him up, like sonic.

But like all characters, true smash fundamentals set you apart from the rest. meaning you can d-throw/fair/fair any noob but if you havent learned advanced play you WILL get bopped. that said he is easy to pickup.

TriTails

Smash Lord
I think he's really easy to play with. There's literally no unique Luigi players (and Ness players) anymore on For Glory, so just spectating a Luigi match is literally all you need to learn Down Throw -> F Air -> F Air can net you a pretty good combo with a good amount of damage. I see the same exact strings and combos being executed by Luigi players every time I face one, and I am hoping one day I discover he has some versatility rather than his basic combos apparently known worldwide.
Uh...

Boss, False, and many other tourney Luigis use that combo. It's about as important to Luigi as Hoo Hah to Diddy. They don't DI? Double chop.

And also, D-air spike bounce (Unteched) is underrated. It's a good way to STILL combo at high percents (D-throw -> D-air spike -> N-air works until 235%).

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Luigi is easy to pick up for basic use, but hard to use for high level play.

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
There's quite a bit of Luigi tech that's difficult for even the most skilled players to pull off. Jumpless cyclone, d-throw + up B, downtaunt spike, b-reverse fireball, etc. which aren't easy at all and require a lot of practice (like most characters).

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Uh...

Boss, False, and many other tourney Luigis use that combo. It's about as important to Luigi as Hoo Hah to Diddy. They don't DI? Double chop.
Exactly my point?

I'm tired of seeing the Hoo-Hah as well.

And also, D-air spike bounce (Unteched) is underrated. It's a good way to STILL combo at high percents (D-throw -> D-air spike -> N-air works until 235%).
I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

TriTails

Smash Lord
Exactly my point?

I'm tired of seeing the Hoo-Hah as well.
Yeah, but Luigi mains will STILL use it regardless. Like, the easiest way to rack up damage if they don't DI.

Though, now I'm working on D-throw -> turnaround -> Reverse U-air -> B-air to add some variety on my game. And also the basic D-throw -> U-tilts on fast-fallers.

In all honesty, I don't blame you on being tired seeing the same combos over and over and over and over. Same here. Hoo Hah is as boring as hell to watch. But those combos apparently just happen to be one of the easiest combos those respective characters has and has good deal of reward (Replace good with ridiculous for Hoo Hah). But hey, Boss is extremely creative with his combos, so there's that for you.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Yeah, but Luigi mains will STILL use it regardless. Like, the easiest way to rack up damage if they don't DI.

Though, now I'm working on D-throw -> turnaround -> Reverse U-air -> B-air to add some variety on my game. And also the basic D-throw -> U-tilts on fast-fallers.

In all honesty, I don't blame you on being tired seeing the same combos over and over and over and over. Same here. Hoo Hah is as boring as hell to watch. But those combos apparently just happen to be one of the easiest combos those respective characters has and has good deal of reward (Replace good with ridiculous for Hoo Hah). But hey, Boss is extremely creative with his combos, so there's that for you.
After really thinking about this, I guess the obvious combos are inevitable. People will use these combos regardless if their boring or not, basically because it can net them a KO, so I'm trying to get over it.

But yeah, people like Boss who create unique combos aren't so bad. It's just the constant For Glory players that decide to use the Hoo-Hah as their only dang move really get me.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
It's just the constant For Glory players that decide to use the Hoo-Hah as their only dang move really get me.
Start DI'ing up and towards Luigi at low percents and he can't dthrow -> fair -> fair. Mix up your DI at higher percents to throw him off. And bait out the nairs, which is super easy. For Glory Luigis don't know how to deal with these adaptations so you won't have as much trouble against them.

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Is luigi an easy character? I hear alot of people saying he takes no skill to play.

I feel like he is a character that people can easily pick up and do some combos with. However Ive played people online that can do these basic combos but just arent very good at doing anything else with the character.

Thoughts?
Luigi is easy to play...because I main him XD

But in serious cases, luigi is someone that takes quite the learning curve to perfect. You don't just PICK UP luigi, you have to get used to his momentum. His momentum is the most unique of the cast because its different in almost every situation. Luigi also requires mastering the spot dodge while NOT spot dodging to much, which is hard. Also to play luigi you have to get used to baiting so you can actually GET the combos. For example, you would down throw and fair once, so they do go quite the distance because they're at 40%, but they air dodge. By not throwing out another attack before they air dodge and instead landing, you get a free grab. Luigi is much harder to master than he looks.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
@ MonkeyArms MonkeyArms Please don't double post. You could get modded.

And also, Luigi's D-tilt got pretty high end lag for a D-tilt. Unless your opponent just sits there, they can usually airdodge or aerial you before you can follow up.
I really don't get the concept of double posting
And I have lots of experience with luigi, Its end lag is about as bad as Ike's which isn't that bad. Plus if the do either of those options, they land, and thats a grab.

CAN-ACTION

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2019-9877-0866
I think Luigi is great to pick up, especially for beginners. He's very versatile with what he brings to the table. I also love how has has some extra quirks, such as: super jump punch, misfire, down taunt. But using him competitively I think is a bit difficult like some have mentioned already.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Actually, Luigi is similar to Chess in terms of being able to pick up and learn. Chess is fairly easy to learn, and super hard to master. Same as Luigi, easy to pick up and combo with, very, very hard to master with jumpless cyclones, dair spikes, cyclone gimps, and perfect pivoting.

I'd know. I usually get 7th out of 120 people at my tournies. I can breeze through pools, but I don't know jumpless cyclones or perfect pivoting [since I have a 3DS...] so it shows.

Last edited:

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Any character that can spam fireballs into a kill setup is easy. He may not be number one on the tier list but we all know his high placement there is because of his down throw setups and cyclone.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
One way to explain it is Luigi has a low skill floor and high ceiling.

As such, to pick up and see results is quite straight forward, however to master him is still difficult. Something like a Shiek (maybe a bad example) might take as much mastery to be good, but may be a bit trickier to pick up straight away.

Much like Mario, who is the "everyman" character - he does literally a bit of everything, and also is very intuitive. As such his cost of entry/skill floor is really incredibly low. Luigi has a few more foibles, but also has a bit higher of a powerlevel that balances it out, keeping him quite easy to pick up and do fine (not great) on.

Its important to remember that the character doesnt make the player. His affinity or enjoyment for it might bring more out of the player (part of that is it entices them to play more, and really milk their time for more success).

Top Bottom