• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is lucina to basic?

saute

Smash Rookie
I cant go to tournements so most of my competetive matches are with friends, but im worried that they coukd adapt to lucinas playstyle.I get that she is good for learning the game, but would a charecter who is less basic, and has more gimmics be better

example shulk?

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Only if you're going for "security by obscurity". A gimmick only matters when your opponent doesn't know how to play around it. Once they do, every character becomes "basic" in the way you're looking at things. If you're just doing casual play with friends you're not really at the level where your character choice would hold you back. More likely it's you holding you back. The gimmick advantage might last for a few matches, but if your friends are any good they'll pick up on it and things will be back to normal quickly.

A good character does not has just one single canonical "playstyle" that operates like a flowchart. Your friends wouldn't be adapting to Lucina, they'd be adapting to your Lucina. Do you always get up from the ledge the same way? Do you always approach the same way? Do you always try to roll away when pressured? Do you always try to get out of juggles the same way? It's very easy to fall into habits with these things, and an observant player will pick up on them and punish you hard for your unsafe habits.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
In a word, no. Lucina is a perfectly viable character to main. Play who you like.

As long as you don't like Little Mac.

Technourgos

Smash Cadet
I cant go to tournements so most of my competetive matches are with friends, but im worried that they coukd adapt to lucinas playstyle.I get that she is good for learning the game, but would a charecter who is less basic, and has more gimmics be better

example shulk?
You sound like you're worried for the wrong reason. You should want your friends to adapt to your play style, not Lucina's. Lucina has options, but your play style is your own. What is a "gimmick"? Do you mean crafty tactics? People will eventually learn to deal with those, and once your tricks are exposed, you might end up stagnant. Instead of relying on what you call "gimmicks", rely on playing smart.

Top Bottom