• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Lucas good enough...?

obxperson2

Smash Rookie
Does Lucas have the enough potential to beat a Fox that can take three level nine’s at once?

I want to be good with a character that I like but I also want to be good enough to beat this one kid (I won’t bother explaining any background info). I’ve never really been a combo person; my strategy has always been dodge and then attack when there’s an opening. Pretty basic and it works but there’s a limit to it. I can’t get better and I can’t stand it! I want to be able to beat those advanced players out there. How can I do this? Does anyone know of a site that helped them get better at Smash Bros?

But let’s not forget my original question… could Lucas beat a Fox this good?

EDIT: I can't just go fight this kid anytime I want. I've got one chance and that's at a tournament at Play N' Trade in two months. I don't care about winning the tournament, just beating him. He's a cocky little ***hole who has done too much crap to me to be forgived.

GofG

Smash Champion
Obxperson2, someone who can take three level 9 computers at the same time probably has no skill. Computers are no judge of skill whatsoever. They weren't in melee, and they aren't in brawl. They are exploitable, stupid, and they don't learn. On top of that, they have infinite reaction time, which is unrealistic.

Never practice against computers. Never even PLAY computers.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
A fox taking on 3 lvl 9 computers doesn't mean that much. Computers play a lot differently than actual people. In my opinion as a past FOX USER, I would say that beating fox in this game with Lucas is definately a possibility. Lucas isn't a bad character and I think if you are up to the task, beating this fox should be a piece of cake.

P.S.
Don't be afraid to spam PK Fire. Using it will force the fox to use his shine on the ground and produce lag, giving you an open shot. (Be careful, the lag isn't that long, but it's there)

obxperson2

Smash Rookie
Obxperson2, someone who can take three level 9 computers at the same time probably has no skill. Computers are no judge of skill whatsoever. They weren't in melee, and they aren't in brawl. They are exploitable, stupid, and they don't learn. On top of that, they have infinite reaction time, which is unrealistic.

Never practice against computers. Never even PLAY computers.
I mean, if he can do that but I can't... he must be better, right?

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
Beating 3 level 9's is more a matter of exploiting crappy computer AI than a measure of fighting skill... I'd go so far as to say that if you tried to fight skillfully in such a situation, you'd actually fair quite a bit worse than if you just went with some sort of stupid exploit that would never work against actual people.

That's not to say that he isn't a decent fighter anyways though. Just that the fact that he can beat three level 9's at once and you can't isn't much of an indicator of anything.

Just play some games against him and see how you do. If you don't do so well, come back to the forums, explain what your problem is, and I'm sure there will be plenty of people willing to lend you a hand with advice or even an online practice buddy.

Finaite

Smash Rookie
Hey, dude. I heard lucas is already a good enough character, and seriously..
This kid's pulling an umbrella out of his ***. Beat him; just practice, and learn habits of most people.

If this guy is so cocky, then take him 1v1, and i'm sure you'll own him. If not, come back here, as stated above and tell us how he got you.
If he spams c-stick smashes then punch him in the face.

spiderman621

Smash Cadet
Does Lucas have the enough potential to beat a Fox that can take three level nine’s at once?

I want to be good with a character that I like but I also want to be good enough to beat this one kid (I won’t bother explaining any background info). I’ve never really been a combo person; my strategy has always been dodge and then attack when there’s an opening. Pretty basic and it works but there’s a limit to it. I can’t get better and I can’t stand it! I want to be able to beat those advanced players out there. How can I do this? Does anyone know of a site that helped them get better at Smash Bros?

But let’s not forget my original question… could Lucas beat a Fox this good?
Good luck on your match, I hope you beat him. If not no worries though. Just practice and beat him the next time.

HighInDaSky

Smash Cadet
Obxperson2, someone who can take three level 9 computers at the same time probably has no skill.
omg are you serious? it's true that cpus are exploitable but i still think it takes alot of skill to beat 3 lvl9 cpus at once especially in brawl. A while ago, i tried to beat 3 lvl9 mario (in 1 team) and I got ***** so badly lol. If anyone can beat 3 lvl9 cpus together, show me a video please :bee:

Shweex

Smash Cadet
omg are you serious? it's true that cpus are exploitable but i still think it takes alot of skill to beat 3 lvl9 cpus at once especially in brawl. A while ago, i tried to beat 3 lvl9 mario (in 1 team) and I got ***** so badly lol. If anyone can beat 3 lvl9 cpus together, show me a video please :bee:
Right, but it takes a different kind of skill to beat level 9 computers than beating a very good player. It's comparing apples and oranges, they are COMPLETELY different playstyles. In addition, computers can only get so good, whereas players have an infinite amount of room to improve.

MUNECO

Smash Rookie
Like a lot of people that already stated, CPU’s aren’t really all that and a bag of chips when it comes to skill. I agree with Shweex, CPU’s can only get so good. It’s almost like beating the system, it’s easy to figure out there patterns n’ stuff.

As for Lucas, I personally use him frequently. It depends, read some guides on him. Lucas is sort of balanced when it comes to speed and jumping, but he’s also really strong. I don’t know, it’s your call.

SMS028

Smash Rookie
yea there is a way. My friend mains as fox both in brawl and melee. I have his number though.
P.S.
Don't be afraid to spam PK Fire. Using it will force the fox to use his shine on the ground and produce lag, giving you an open shot. (Be careful, the lag isn't that long, but it's there)
this is how. It keeps him from aggressively smashing and forces him to shine a whole lot more. Then punish him w/ the lag. Watch out for the recoil of the pKfire. That gets me sometimes.

CFaLC

Smash Cadet
To explain a tad how bad the CPU AI is/was...In Melee, you could tap jump near a level nine Ganondorf, and smash him away no problem. This is because Ganondorf sees that you jumped and he decides to use his up-B to grab you. A skilled player probably wouldn't do something that dumb, since they'll obviously miss you.

kyle?!

Smash Cadet
If he can, it doesn't mean anything. Get on WIFI and use the SWF FF and just play. Learn to be advanced and innovative. It's a whole new game so everyone is still testing the waters. Just don't take casual matches so serious, and make sure you have fun.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
You can't use PK Fire to effectively lock down any kind of good fox, but Lucas is very good at killing Fox. Use PKT to gimp him off the side of the stage, and use your fast aerials to knock him off.

Practice shield dropping: Shield an attack and immediately drop your shield and c-stick your bat at an opponent or use your jab combo.

Fox also doesn't have anything good to out-prioritize your up-B either so recovery is not difficult if you can effectively sweetspot.

Additionally, the AI is significantly better in Melee and much more realistic. Don't underestimate your opponent, and practice until you are certain you can beat him.

kyle?!

Smash Cadet
Hey man, try this.

dair to down A down A to fsmash

You can down A as many times as you want, but I wouldn't recommend more than 4 seeing as a good player will DI away from it, and you don't want to be caught spamming in a tourney. That's no honorable win.

it's a good little combo with Lucas. If you're pretty quick on your A smash attacks, then you can even charge it for a second if the other player trips from the down A's. If you aren't comfortable with doing them really quickly, just tap your C-stick. At low percentages, a Fox with be immobilized and close enough for you to use a PK Fire and open up another combo. At higher percentages you may get lucky and knock him off the stage, but if not, be careful and play conservatively using your shield a lot until you have another good combo opportunity.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
The best way for you to practice is to come here to Smash Boards, watch someone who is really good with Lucas play, and then go to Training Mode. DO NOT train against computer players, they will screw you up. Just practice different attacks in Training Mode, and you'll improve a lot on your Combos, and quickly be on your way to mastering your movement and attack patterns.

Then to try those out, again DON'T fight computers. Find friends to fight with, or fight with people online with WiFi. You should be able to kick his butt in no time. You've just got to practice, and learn how to fight him. The biggest thing people that fight Computer players lack, is the ability to adjust their fighting style. They are used to fighting a certain way, because that way always works against computers.

Figure out what he's doing and change your tactics accordingly. If he's spamming lasers and waiting for you to charge at him, absorb them and let him come to you. If he's charging at you using smash attacks and aerials, spam PK Fire and make him back off. If you make him change his fighting style, you will quickly gain control of the match.

So just practice, and don't be afraid to try something different. Doing things he doesn't expect will screw him up more than anything else. :)

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I say If you're going up against that friend or whatever then yeah, he seems to have a lot of potential, he has very good dash and airial attacks along with shorthopping (Press the jump button and release it ASAP) And with PK Fire and hitting PK Thunder at people (Hitting yourself to hit them into PK Thunder either behind them or in a line) Can do quite a bit.

I would just say to practice a bit with lucas, his PK fire in the air is quite good for me also, then hit PK Thunder at the enemy to get back onto the ledge or try another method like air attacks with the A Button.

Other then that, goodluck? =P

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
Is Lucas as good as Ness?
He's far better. His moves have greater reach, his specials don't suck, his smashs actually smash, he doesn't bring out that stupid yo-yo.

You should be able to pwn fox. I have a friend who prefers fox as well and you can stomp him. Try making short hops and using Lucas' neutral air attack. It stuns and is difficult to aviod.

GofG

Smash Champion
Resident Smash Genius, while I agree with you in that Lucas is better than Ness, I would point out that me and Simna have been arguing over who is better and it isn't clear yet.

Top Bottom