• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is laser spamming a good option?

L33thal

Smash Apprentice
Is it good to keep spamming laser? As in maintaining good spacing, and just spamming laser without overextending/being too aggro. It builds up percent, eats away at people's shields, and helps with neutral but I heard that this isn't that good of an option. I mean, people can go to platforms to avoid the lasers, but can't you avoid their approaches just by spacing?

Any thoughts on this?

KevJames

Smash Apprentice
It's a big part of Falco's game, but someone great at powershielding will counter those tactics. There is no such thing as an optimal amount of lasers, but there is an optimal space and time to laser. Falco's combo game is just as good as his neutral game, and it would be a shame to not use certain options that are more relevant to a situation. If you have a chance for a grab or shine on an opponent, why not take the free damage? Falco has so many ogreat ptions, why should you limit yourself and your character to one attack? Continual laser spam won't keep the opponent out forever. He will get to you, and a laser won't help you when you get punished and sent offstage for it.

Defyler

Smash Cadet
I find that as long as they aren't excellent at powershielding, it is good for forcing opponents to retreat or come to you and is really good for pressuring opponents. I find that on something like battlefield, if I shoot a few lasers on the lower platform they might go to the upper platforms to get away, without being hit once but then you just gave them a lot less options which is very helpful. All I have to say is that you want to use lasers when it's smart. It doesn't really matter how much you use it, as long as it works, for example if your playing against someone who is great at powershielding don't laser too much but if it's someone who doesn't really know how to deal with lasers then spam them. It really just depends on the opponent and situation.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
It's very good, yes. Be ready to quickly move if you're hit by a PSed laser, or be ready to shield it back. If you really want to keep lasering, you can shoot a low one, jump over it and not fastfall until you've cleared it (if at all) while shooting the second laser, which can mess with people trying to act out of powershield quickly. Lasers deny air space to the opponent, and don't let them do a lot of attacks if you have the space; they can be used to prevent the opponent from attempting a setup.

Just remember not to laser too close, and lasering from far enough might not accomplish much of anything on stages that aren't FD (in a truly neutral situation, the opponent may have time to entirely go around it while you commit to your jump and laser). If the opponent CCs a laser, they can gain free ground. Don't let yourself drop a punish from lasering too much, and don't lose too much ground. Combo out of laser if you can or do something to push them back. Otherwise, on stages that aren't FD, abuse Falco's insane jump height and try to maneuver across platforms so that you don't get hit until you're where you want to be.

Stalled

Smash Apprentice
There isn't a ton of payoff to falco's lasers if you don't capitalize on them. They don't build percent as fast or as safely as fox's lasers do nor do they do a significant amount of damage to shield. While you won't necessarily get put into disadvantage because you were spamming lasers, overusing them could lead to you to losing stage control (if you are over committed to lasering) or eating lasers yourself since powershielding is pretty prominent nowadays, even at a relatively low level of play.

I would just go in after a time, spamming lasers isn't worth it, you'll probably get punished eventually, especially if the other player knows how to play against falco in nuetral (wavedash oos).

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
A Fox who utilizes WD OOS, running powershields, and platforms to escape lasers makes spamming it not that great because Fox's speed makes it hard to maintain spacing while they are maneuvering the lasers and IMO Fox/Falco is all about who can get punish opportunities and a bad laser is an easy way to get punished and lose stocks.

I guess in general though, people with good movement can make spamming lasers kinda tricky, but yeah, lasers are good but it is possible to shoot too many lasers and lose chances at destroying someone with Falco's combos.

ChrisRoxal

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChrisRoxal
I would say no, a player that knows what he is doing will work around your laser pretty well and could even turn the against you, Sheik can ftilt you if you recklessly approach with laser and Marth can fair you out of shield

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
When and if I do this it's often just to give myself a breather. It takes little skill and is hard to get in on. As for effectiveness, I wouldn't really do more than two lasers in place before attacking or retreating in some capacity if I am actively trying to play the game.
That said it is a nice way to take yourself out of it for a bit. I've had situations during the middle of a game where my opponent as Puff sat there in crouch and I sat there spamming lasers for several seconds, and it relieves tension, at least for me.

Top Bottom