• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it true that there's no point in maining anyone but Fox, Falco, or Marth now?

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
I've been away for a while, but last I heard, it was possible to win tourneys with Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, Jigglypuff, Peach, Ganondorf, Dr. Mario, Pikachu, and Samus.

But when I came here recently, I heard people talking about something called 20XX where everyone is being forced to use Fox because he's just that good, and M2K can only win with Sheik due to "ledge cheese?"

What's going on? I wanted to main Sheik, but now, is it worth it?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
CEO which happened yesterday had Mango get sent to losers 2-0 by a Sheik then almost lost in a very close set 3-2 to another Sheik. Leffen almost lost to a Sheik in a very close set 3-2 as well. You're fine dude.

20XX is metagame at the highest level of tournament play, but it's kind of an exaggerated joke. Only a few can ever reach top level. Most of everyone else shouldn't worry about it

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I mean any character is worth playing depending on how you want to play. My goal is to be the best Falcon I can be in each game. If that means I plateau sooner in terms of tourney results than I might as Fox, then so be it. He's who I have the most fun with.

But like EPsilon933 said, you can totally do very well locally maining Sheik. It's only at the highest levels of play that it matters, and even then, people succeed with Sheik. You're fine.

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
m2k winning due to ledge things is moreso a m2k thing than a sheik thing.
Would argue ganon/doc and to a far less extend samus have too many glaring weaknesses to be worth it though.
Wouldn't say that about the other characters. At worst they have more of a need for secondaries than spaceys/marth

Last edited:

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
20XX is a joke. People need to get out of this mindset that Fox is invincible. Is he the best character? Easily but this idea that we're going to reach a point where he's the only viable character is just ridiculous. They're always going to be players like Hungrybox, Axe and aMSa who will play a lesser character that even top Fox mains struggle with. I'm not going to pretend like Fox mains aren't going to get better as time goes by but every player has their weaknesses. You just need to find them.

If you want to main Sheik, main Sheik. She's high tier anyway, so you got nothing to worry about.

20XX is a joke. People need to get out of this mindset that Fox is invincible. Is he the best character? Easily but this idea that we're going to reach a point where he's the only viable character is just ridiculous. They're always going to be players like Hungrybox, Axe and aMSa who will play a lesser character that even top Fox mains struggle with. I'm not going to pretend like Fox mains aren't going to get better as time goes by but every player has their weaknesses. You just need to find them.

If you want to main Sheik, main Sheik. She's high tier anyway, so you got nothing to worry about.
I think the point was the fact that the competitive scene gets so competitive that you want the best possible chance of winning so everyone plays Fox. Its always hilarious to see my community near me ALWAYS recommend Fox or Falco for new players.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
If you wanna have fun, then you can play anyone you want. I've been dedicating much of my time with Luigi recently and can square against my friend's mains now (not that we're hella pro or anything) while having a good time.

If literally all you want to do is win, play Fox. I mean, if anyone only cared about winning in anything, you would play the #1 character/strategy wouldn't you? Otherwise you'd be foolish.

Ask yourself what do you really want out of Melee? I spend my weekends with the best friends I've ever had in my life playing a game we've been playing for like 8 years using whichever character we have fun with.

Screw 20XX, 20WeeGee fools. Soon, you will see the light.

Last edited:

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
If literally all you want to do is win, play Fox. I mean, if anyone only cared about winning in anything, you would play the #1 character/strategy wouldn't you? Otherwise you'd be foolish.
Am willing to argue that depending on the way you play fox is not the best character for everyone trying to win. Whilst he's pretty much the best character he's not for everyone.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
I maun Marth, Falcon, and Sheik. All great characters, but have a ton of different playstyles. I might play the fox ditto once in a while and I'll play falco the entire day simply because I want to. Do what you want to.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Am willing to argue that depending on the way you play fox is not the best character for everyone trying to win. Whilst he's pretty much the best character he's not for everyone.
That's good point, I can give you that one. Aside from ability, preference, and mentality though I would still stand by him for maximizing winnings if that is what the player is looking for. I really hope no one plays Melee solely just to win, but it wouldn't surprise me I suppose.

Fortress

Smash Master
However you manage to have the most enjoyable experience, and whatever lets you take your game the farthest. I started as a Sheik main and stayed that way for about a year-and-a-half. Eventually, I just caved and decided to main Link instead of secondary him since he was my favorite character. I have to work a lot harder than I would with, say, Sheik, but I've got my tricks, techniques, and mindgames.

When it comes down to it, you're not fighting the other character on the screen, you're fighting the person sitting next to you. At the absolute highest levels of play, a character like Link is just going to fall off (I often entertain the thought of Armada trying older Link), but if you can play around the habits of your opponent and your own, you'll at least have a fighting chance.

Top Bottom