• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it really possible to change someone else's opinion?

SexyUnicorn

Smash Rookie
I feel like humans are a stubborn race. I am too, and sometimes I wish I wasn't. If i could find the link again, I came across a disturbing article on facebook the other day. It basically said that agreeing with someone's opinion only solidified your beliefs, while all arguing would make them go on the defense and still solidify their belief.

And I wouldn't care so much if some peoples opinions didn't hurt other people. There are some things that are undoubtedly unethical, such as murder. But when things like gay rights are taken away because Christians say so, that pisses me off.

So what are your thoughts? Is it possible to change someones opinion? Do you hate others stubbornness and yours just as much as me? Is there a way to be not stubborn without being easily manipulated?

NNID
Budget_Player
So what are your thoughts? Is it possible to change someones opinion? Do you hate others stubbornness and yours just as much as me? Is there a way to be not stubborn without being easily manipulated?
I used to be against genetic modification and thought that RoundUp was awful. I changed my mind based on the evidence. I used to believe that feminism was a problem in gaming and sexism wasn't; I changed my mind based on the evidence. I used to believe in the Christian God; I changed my mind based on the complete and utter lack of evidence. Zing! It's not easy to change opinions, but depending on a person's epistemology, it can be done, but it's kind of difficult at times.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
It's not easy to change opinions, but depending on a person's epistemology, it can be done, but it's kind of difficult at times.
Basically this. Some people will be impenetrable and others won't. I think a lot of this arises with maturity. The more mature a person is, the more willing they are to consider the possibility that they are wrong. There's more to it than just that, but that's a start.

In general, always consider whether it's worth your time to engage someone with the intent of changing their opinion as well. Often it is not.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
The value of any debate depends on the standards for truth at play. You will never change a relativist's mind due to their refusal to accept the validity of objective definitions, although an empiricist will be grateful for any rational correction/alternate perspective you are able to provide.

A productive debate can only be held between two empiricists seeking truth external from opinion, they both win in the end.

You are more likely to encounter relativists, they are the majority. Keep in mind that an individual may shift between relativism and empiricism under different circumstances - one may be empirical in their perspective on God, although shift to relativist thinking when it comes to politics (painfully common).

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
The value of any debate depends on the standards for truth at play. You will never change a relativist's mind due to their refusal to accept the validity of objective definitions, although an empiricist will be grateful for any rational correction/alternate perspective you are able to provide.

A productive debate can only be held between two empiricists seeking truth external from opinion, they both win in the end.

You are more likely to encounter relativists, they are the majority. Keep in mind that an individual may shift between relativism and empiricism under different circumstances - one may be empirical in their perspective on God, although shift to relativist thinking when it comes to politics (painfully common).
But relativist thinking when it comes to politics is completely normal. So much of politics relates to ethics, and unless you follow a religion, there is no universal truth when it comes to ethics/morality. At that point, anything you argue is, to some extent, based in purely human thought and desire and has no objective correct answer because the fate of humanity is of little concern to the natural laws that govern the universe (and is arguably already decided)

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
But relativist thinking when it comes to politics is completely normal. So much of politics relates to ethics, and unless you follow a religion, there is no universal truth when it comes to ethics/morality. At that point, anything you argue is, to some extent, based in purely human thought and desire and has no objective correct answer because the fate of humanity is of little concern to the natural laws that govern the universe (and is arguably already decided)
Painfully common indeed.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I honestly don't see any moral difference between Propaganda/Brainwashing, Mind Control, and Changing Someone Else's Opinion. Which is why communist conspiracies don't scare me in the slightest.

The first two are just really effective ways of getting the latter.

Edit: Keep Scrolling. There's a post under this one.

Last edited:

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't see any moral difference between Propaganda/Brainwashing, Mind Control, and Changing Someone Else's Opinion. Which is why communist conspiracies don't scare me in the slightest.

The first two are just really really effective ways of getting the latter.
You don't comprehend the difference between rational arguments and dishonest emotional manipulation?

Last edited:

DeliciousDarren

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-3664-3412
I feel like humans are a stubborn race. I am too, and sometimes I wish I wasn't. If i could find the link again, I came across a disturbing article on facebook the other day. It basically said that agreeing with someone's opinion only solidified your beliefs, while all arguing would make them go on the defense and still solidify their belief.

And I wouldn't care so much if some peoples opinions didn't hurt other people. There are some things that are undoubtedly unethical, such as murder. But when things like gay rights are taken away because Christians say so, that pisses me off.

Absolutely, it is very possible to change an individual's opinion. However, it depends on criteria including,
1) How invested is the person in the subject?
2) How open is the person to changing their opinion?

Just because an individual is stubborn about one subject, it does not mean they will be stubborn about another. Some individuals look to defend lifestyles, hobbies, and beliefs because so much of them depends on the subject. On the other hand, the subjects that the person does not care about allow them to be much more open minded.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
Some people are far too stubborn to have their opinions changed, even if you smush evidence all over their face. It also depends on what their opinion is about. If we're talking personal preference, that is MUCH harder to change than somebody having an opinion based on facts, which you can provide other facts to sway their decision.

But then there are those who just hate to admit they're wrong, even when told it doesn't matter if they were wrong.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
I have changed my opinions on some things over the years.

Jellydino

Smash Cadet
I feel like it depends entirely on the person. There are people who are more open to others and their opinions and are willing to change if someone appeals to their sense of logic and reasoning. While at the same time, there is people who are set in stone when it comes to their ways. Both have their own opinions, but one is more open to change then the other.

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
Simple answer:
If that person is closed minded and firmly holds their beliefs because they want to believe in them, then its going to be difficult to change their opinions.

If that person is open minded and is ready to listen to all your arguments and evidence, as well as ask questions. Then assuming you're closer to the truth, changing their opinions should be much easier.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I don't believe you can, no. You can get angry and tell them why thier opinion is "wrong," but ultimately if the person is unwilling to listen then thier opinion won't change.

Moreover, even if they do listen you technically didn't change thier opinion. THEY decided they themselves were wrong and changed thier own opinion. :p

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
You all have to remember that it's not really about the facts, it's about ego defense, and it's vitally important. The act of sticking to an opinion is important to maintain a stable identity and the act of changing that opinion, no matter what it is that's being argued about, is an act of submission and can crumble a person's confidence. When you're trying to change someone's opinion, you're not sharing with them objective fact, you're using facts and the like to try to convince them to change a part of their identity and who they are. That's why people are stubborn and don't change their minds easily. The only way it doesn't damage people is if changeability is already an important part of their identity and their belief system, in which case the act of changing reinforces that and whatever opinion they're adopting now is irrelevant. People who claim to be open-minded, aren't really open-minded because of that.

All politics are identity politics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom