• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is it really necessary to mod your controls?

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
I've seen so many times that Lucas players modd the controls. So they can do things like zap jumping and B-sticking. I've become so used to the original controls that I've having a hard time adjusting to new ones. Not to mention I like doing fade away F-airs with my a-stick?

Are Zap jumping and b-sticking that important to Lucas' game?

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
Well they add new options to your play style. I never used cstick for smashes or aerials anyway, so I just started using it for specials.

saberhof

Smash Master
i guess its just a way of adapting to the new game, and making it more strategical, if you find your way to be more efficient, go for it, you don't have to adapt to other styles...

im gonna try this Bsticking thing...

Levitas

the moon
I have yet to try bsticking, but the zap jump mod is worth it, and I really like z for attack. It makes SH fairs that much easier to approach with.

saberhof

Smash Master
i need a clear explanation of this b sticking thing, so i flick the Cstick one way, and the control stick to another, and lucas does an automatic Side b while floating back?...it seems really odd...or im just not understanding well...

Manu

Smash Cadet
Heh... I broke all my gamecube controllers and I can't find any new ones so... I've got to set up a Wiimote set. I have the C button set to jump so I can do zap jumping though.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
It's not very difficult to zap jump without changing your usual controls, but you absolutely cannot "B-Stick" without, obviously, doing exactly what it says. ;/ Sacrifices must be made, however, since you can no longer do likewise with regular aerial attacks (such as your fade-away fairs) and lose the quick-smash capability there too.

PK Fire Wavebouncing is a strong enough defensive maneuver that you're probably better off making that sacrifice. FAir doesn't have the range to really space well against most characters anyway, but you will have to get used to not being able to C-Stick a quick FSmash. Seems like a good gain.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
Heh... I broke all my gamecube controllers and I can't find any new ones so... I've got to set up a Wiimote set. I have the C button set to jump so I can do zap jumping though.
The classical controller is so much better than the wii-mote. So if you can't find a gamecube controller just try the classical.

Tin

Smash Journeyman
You can do it by using your regular control, just a little bit harder.

Pretty much, instead of just pressing side-B to do your B move, flick the joystick in the opposite direction in the very beginning before flicking it to the direction you want it to go. I don't know how to word this correctly but let's see if this helps.

To do a regular side B say to the right

-> B (simultaneously)

To do this technique with regular controls

flick it to <- then immediately -> B

I tried it with Lucas and achieved similar results, Lucas being pushed back by the momentum even more so than usual.

saberhof

Smash Master
^ i still don't get it, if you are running one way, how do you automatically preform the Side b flicking the opposite direction?....

Levitas

the moon
So what he means is this: Side b in the direction you want the bolt to move, then IMMEDIATELY move it the other way, it'll push you back, and increase the distance between you and the opponent (very good thing).

I've found that I don't like the idea of B sticking, I can do the stuff without the c-stick, and aerial c-stick stuff is just too important to mess with, not to mention smashes.

Lucas is the king of control mods.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
You can do it by using your regular control, just a little bit harder.

Pretty much, instead of just pressing side-B to do your B move, flick the joystick in the opposite direction in the very beginning before flicking it to the direction you want it to go. I don't know how to word this correctly but let's see if this helps.

To do a regular side B say to the right

-> B (simultaneously)

To do this technique with regular controls

flick it to <- then immediately -> B

I tried it with Lucas and achieved similar results, Lucas being pushed back by the momentum even more so than usual.
Sweet this is a great alternative. It's not that hard to pull off my accuracy isn't as great yet but practice should fix that . :D

saberhof

Smash Master
So what he means is this: Side b in the direction you want the bolt to move, then IMMEDIATELY move it the other way, it'll push you back, and increase the distance between you and the opponent (very good thing).

I've found that I don't like the idea of B sticking, I can do the stuff without the c-stick, and aerial c-stick stuff is just too important to mess with, not to mention smashes.

Lucas is the king of control mods.
Bolt?...
are you speaking of PK fire?...

if so, id like a deeper explanation, what you are saying doesn't make sense, gravity wise and technically too, so you side b with b? or C stick?...and you press back on the Control stick?..

Levitas

the moon
Ok, it's simple. Side b in the direction you want the PK fire to go, and once you've hit side and b, immediately (as in very quickly) press the control stick in the direction you want to go, which is backwards from the direction the PK fire is going. Doing this in the air with SH PK Fires makes you shoot backwards and waveland, which is really good if you're attempting to maintain some distance between you and the enemy.

And Metaknight is fast enough to get by Lucas's fire spam quite well. Someone think of something Lucas can do to **** metaknight.

saberhof

Smash Master
uhu...kk i got it, so i don't have to mod my control =D, hooray...

maybe some sort of mind game to make metaknight screw up??...or maybe if you know what hes gonna do and start slashing, charge a nice smash =D

GofG

Smash Champion
Saberhof, don't make us explain things 3 times because you don't have the game yet. If you were to get the game, everything would be much easier to understand for you.

Levitas

the moon
Tin, it works just as well. I'm staying with a non b-sticking scheme, because if you can do the samething without screwing up aerial control and smashes w/ csticking, then why would you switch anything up.

Smash direction you want to go, then flick back the way you want to shoot the pk fire and press b to get the same impact.

saberhof

Smash Master
Saberhof, don't make us explain things 3 times because you don't have the game yet. If you were to get the game, everything would be much easier to understand for you.
sorry, but i really didn't get it at first lol now it does sound logical, and this way i get an understanding of what to do, sorry if i caused any trouble...=)

GofG

Smash Champion
Tin, it works just as well. I'm staying with a non b-sticking scheme, because if you can do the samething without screwing up aerial control and smashes w/ csticking, then why would you switch anything up.

Smash direction you want to go, then flick back the way you want to shoot the pk fire and press b to get the same impact.

Oddly enough, when I tested it, I could not get the desired level of effect. Yes, I bounced back a bit, but not nearly as far as I can b-sticking. I am also having trouble dashdancing; do I just have to learn how to flick the left analog stick faster?

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
Oddly enough, when I tested it, I could not get the desired level of effect. Yes, I bounced back a bit, but not nearly as far as I can b-sticking. I am also having trouble dash dancing; do I just have to learn how to flick the left analog stick faster?
I seem to get the same distance when I use the stick opposed to b-sticking it. I barely tilt the stick left and the smash it b-right (and vise versa) sometimes I do get the little bounce that's sounds like what your getting because my timing was off.

GofG

Smash Champion
Ah, so it is a problem with my inability to flick correctly with my thumb. I didn't know, however, that you didn't have to smash it the whole way left, and then the whole way right. It'll be easier now that I just barely have to press it the first time.

fridayslobster

Smash Apprentice
Lucas' Zap Jump is really useful and it makes him have the best recovery in the game, kinda. And his b-sticking is just so u can lay pk fire with less of a risk, Short hop-->b-stick with pk fire is a sure way you dont get punished after you cast it.

Levitas

the moon
Ok, there's some clarifications that need to be made. The thing I was talking about earlier is NOT the same as bsticking or wavebouncing. It's the Dash assisted PK waveland, and is used for retreating.

The Wavebounce REQUIRES the bstick configuration, and is probably worth it. I was wrong in thinking that it didn't, and also wrong in thinking that what I was doing was the wavebounce.

I am currently attempting a bsticking control scheme, and although it's a rough adjustment, it helps a number of things get smoothed out. Lucas is the new falco.

That said, try whatever you want, but definately give bsticking a chance, because it's gonna be important to lucas's metagame. Controller mods are made for lucas.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
Ok, there's some clarifications that need to be made. The thing I was talking about earlier is NOT the same as bsticking or wavebouncing. It's the Dash assisted PK waveland, and is used for retreating.

The Wavebounce REQUIRES the bstick configuration, and is probably worth it. I was wrong in thinking that it didn't, and also wrong in thinking that what I was doing was the wavebounce.

I am currently attempting a bsticking control scheme, and although it's a rough adjustment, it helps a number of things get smoothed out. Lucas is the new falco.

That said, try whatever you want, but definately give bsticking a chance, because it's gonna be important to lucas's metagame. Controller mods are made for lucas.
:( but what is the difference between b-sticking and the Dash assisted PK waveland they seem to do the same thing?

I'd hate to lose my smash stick as it really helps with my aerial especially with my dairs.
I guess I'll try to get use to it if I can't I guess no wave bouncing for me :(

Levitas

the moon
Go to page 2 of the stickied Advanced techniques thread. I've got a post that states the exact button inputs and differences.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
For those of you modding the controller for B sticking, bear in mind that forward smashes without the C-stick have a chance of tripping. just throwing that out there. a reason to keep your smashes in the c stick

Corin

Smash Lord
For someone like myself who never used the C-stick before, it's not difficult to adjust to it being the "B-stick".

Honestly I only ever use it for zap jumping anyways. I can't imagine that the C-Stick would nullify the tripping effect, I just think you haven't experienced it yet. After playing with the B-stick for a day I got used to it, though I also configured it so I don't jump when I tap upwards on the control stick anymore, I kept running into problems when I'd try to tilt or smash and end up jumping and using either Uair or Nair (which weren't always bad, but still frustrating).

Circadin

Smash Rookie
Forgive me if this is a noob question, but how legit is modifying the controls on a tournament level? I recently tried this and have had great results, but as an aspiring tournament-level Lucas player I don't want to be unable to play otherwise if it's not allowed.

If anyone can confirm that changing your control setup is allowed I'd be much obliged.

Top Bottom